My photography

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Suiseiten

Beloved Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:08 pm
My interest in photography has been awakened over the last year and I plan to actually enter a local fair's contest. I've won a second and third place ribbon for a couple of my pieces last year and may keep updated on how I do this year, as well as adding my entries.

Anyhow, here are a couple examples of what I've done to assist with a pool league on which I play and have become one of two unofficial photographers with my dad being the second:
User Image
(Cue ball before hitting the 9)
User Image
(4 ball after being hit)

My pool pics albums- including the one for my dad- are public if you want more. Admittedly, I'm not good with taking pictures of people. It's difficult for me to capture people without that serious look at the table for some reason. I haven't put many of my nature photos on my photobucket, but that's how I got my first two ribbons. If I can share from my facebook to here, I'll share my ribbon winners. Likewise, I'll do the same once I get the results from the photography contest.

Meanwhile, if there's any tips you can give me, I'm all ears. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:11 am
User Image  

IMustBeAUnicorn

Desirable Phantom

Desutroyer

Kawaii Trash

15,125 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:49 pm
Hi, I'm not sure if you are still seeking advice or not, but I would like to give you a few tips anyways.

1. The lighting isn't too great in the first picture. (It's a bit dark and has that yellow feel.

2. The pics (especially the first one) are a bit blurry.

3. There is too much too look at. If the pool table/balls were supposed to be the stars of your pictures, than show it. In the first pic, my eyes were initially drawn to the green of the pool table, but my interest in that quickly faded after my eyes wandered the the patterned brick wall, cue, chalkboard, lamp, window, etc. It doesn't make me focus on the balls.

4. In the second pic, your lighting was better, but still the same problem with too much interest in the background. The misc bodies threw me off a bit, and the random, obtrusive white cloth/person immediately took my attention away from the balls.

(I'm sorry if i seemed harsh!) emotion_sweatdrop

(And sorry for the long post that will probably go unread = w ="")  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:55 pm
Hungry Len
Hi, I'm not sure if you are still seeking advice or not, but I would like to give you a few tips anyways.

1. The lighting isn't too great in the first picture. (It's a bit dark and has that yellow feel.

2. The pics (especially the first one) are a bit blurry.

3. There is too much too look at. If the pool table/balls were supposed to be the stars of your pictures, than show it. In the first pic, my eyes were initially drawn to the green of the pool table, but my interest in that quickly faded after my eyes wandered the the patterned brick wall, cue, chalkboard, lamp, window, etc. It doesn't make me focus on the balls.

4. In the second pic, your lighting was better, but still the same problem with too much interest in the background. The misc bodies threw me off a bit, and the random, obtrusive white cloth/person immediately took my attention away from the balls.

(I'm sorry if i seemed harsh!) emotion_sweatdrop

(And sorry for the long post that will probably go unread = w ="")
It's fine. One thing with me is I do read the advice, especially when I'm asking for it. Regardless of length. wink

Thank you for your imput. I've been trying to work without flash/ AF Illuminator when taking shots while watching pool, which could have contributed a lot to the darkness of both. It's just that a lot of the photos I took these last seasons are actually games at which I've been playing and the last thing I need is to be blamed for their missing a shot. I came close before I knew about the Illuminator feature on one of my cameras. sweatdrop

If I recall, the first one was taken off my little Canon model that isn't as powerful as the Fuji that the second one was from. Plus, both used zoom, thus the busy background versus being over the ball. Perhaps standing at an angle to acquire the shot would be a good idea so as to reduce the background noise?

But yeah, the blur around the moving balls was what I was going for. I like the streaks of color, and in some of the others I have how the cue either melts away to the other ball or vanishes. It's still a work in progress, but I'm hoping to get it a little better.  

Suiseiten

Beloved Shapeshifter

Suiseiten

Beloved Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:32 pm
And in other news, I won second place for a photo of a bridge I took this year. whee  
19. ✿ - - - Art And Graphics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games