Skaven, innit.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Marcus McFlufferson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:27 am
I've taken up Fantasy again.
I say 'again'. I only ever played two broken games about two editions ago.
But it's a technicality.

Ever since I last played I told myself that if I ever do Fantasy again, it'll be Skaven.

Started by a friend splitting Island of Blood with me.
Then I bought another Skaven set of IoB off eBay.
Then split another set with another guy.

Still being stuck for any biggies and a real codex at this point.

Then I was playing some Modern Combat (Great little Skirmish game set in modern day Afghanistan. Ambush Alley if you're interested) at the local shop and I ask how much that Doomwheel is in the display case. Turns out it's the dude downstairs (who I'm playing the Modern Combat with) that owns it. Dude says he just wants plastic cost. Then he tells me he's got a half finished Abomination and a few Skaven bits and an 'old Skaven book'. He had a go at painting them but was never in to the game, and lost interest since taking up the Modern Combat stuff.

So he brings them in.
Says "There's that book. Bungie gave it me."
And I'm like "Holy Bollocks dude, this is the -new- army book!"
And he's all "Nooohhh. Why'd he give it me then?"
And then I'm all "How much? How much?"
And he's all "Thirty quid. For everything. Not too fussed about the doomwheel."
And I'm all like, Yoink!

So anyway, here are a few pictures of what I've got painted so far.
It's not my best stuff, but I've managed to get all this done over the last few weeks:

The army as a whole. Don't mind Marvin. He's just depressed because he's not included in the picture.

Rat Ogres so far. I had a metal lying around before the IoBs. I've GSed some of them to make them different.

Clanrats. All very samey but these were machined off the painting line. Still took me eight hours to do a unit. Happy with how the home-made movement trays turned out though.

Credits to Paul for these paint jobs. I did the Abomination engine, mouth, stone and wash.

Home made ratswarms. A few plague monk rats thrown together, latexed and stonecast. Right down to Foamboard bases because I had no more 40mils. Could be better. -Couldn't- be cheaper.

Laughable attempt at home made Globadiers. I've ordered some Space Rat Veer-Myn. If they're good enough, they'll wholly replace these.

I realise the faults. Washes > Inks. But I justify using Inks on that it makes them look slimy. The truth being that it was just to avoid buying more wash.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:58 am
Congratulations on the deal! surprised

Painting is nothing too shabby, though to be honest I'm not a big fan of the grassy bases. sweatdrop  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

BloodyMary76

Witty Conversationalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:43 am
They're certainly Skaven. : o I have some I haven't decided whether to stick with or get rid of. If you're looking for more skaven, you can get the WHFB starter set skaven for pretty cheap on ebay!

I thought about trying Modern Combat, but as my fellows at the FLGS said, "Too soon."  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:58 am
STFU and Color
If you're looking for more skaven, you can get the WHFB starter set skaven for pretty cheap on ebay!
He already has three starter sets. wink  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

BloodyMary76

Witty Conversationalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:59 am
Lt. Brookman
STFU and Color
If you're looking for more skaven, you can get the WHFB starter set skaven for pretty cheap on ebay!
He already has three starter sets. wink

Well, if anything, Skaven are dirt cheap in points cost. : p  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:21 am
Thanks. : D

Heh yeah. Already got three of them but I plan on getting more when I can. They're good for clanrats and Ogres.  

Marcus McFlufferson

Marcus McFlufferson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:53 am
I got the Veer-Myn space rats through from Mantic. Fantastic minis. A real pain in the arse to glue together because they're resin, but full marks on the sculpts.

They're supposed to come with wee piped guns on under their right arms, but if I leave their guns off they have open palms, which is perfect for proxying them as Globadiers.

Here he is. Only just based so looking a bit tatty.

Some of them have more open palms that this and on them I've glued on plastic BBs. Seems to fit quite well.

The official minis, for reference.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:59 pm
Marcus McFlufferson
Thanks. : D

Heh yeah. Already got three of them but I plan on getting more when I can. They're good for clanrats and Ogres.
I think the Ogres look best out of the whole lot, good to see you back in the hobby!  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers