I've taken the time to come back and re-vamp the guild to a higher standard. This means getting rid of old topics and bringing people back to the community. However, as I understand it from the help forum, there are topics people get stuck on most and these can be discussed here. Here are the first few to get started:

Posting Fiction

Someone asked once if posting fiction on the internet (or here) is a bad idea and would narrow the chances of it getting published. I would advise you to do this lightly. If you want to submit an extract, please do. If you want help editing, maybe post it to me or PMS to look over, or contact another member. I can't say whether it will effect your ideas of publishing. The pieces I posted online were not for publication, only for practise and to see what my audience was.

Character Names

If you are stuck for character names, don't worry. In my opinion, names are important. In genre and literary fiction names are always important to telling a bit more about the character, applying context. There are numerous name generators and baby name guides online. I used to have a little book of names to carry around with me; I also jot down names I find in every day life that interest me. Try to avoid cliché names, maybe even invent your own in a dystopia or fantasy environment.

Writer's Block

I've come to realise that it doesn't really exist. I used to be plagued by the idea of it but now I've embraced the fact it's just a small hitch, it's been a huge help. My University tutors dismiss the claims also. The best way to get rid of this is to sit down and read through what you have written, come up with a few scenarios. You may even have to re-work the piece but if you feel that it is worthy, it is worth the time.

Getting started

Putting that first line on a page is the hardest thing, and I guess it's something most writers have trouble with. I've gotten fed up of staring at a blank screen waiting for something to happen so I sit there and just picture something. Then I just write, even if it is rubbish I have to edit afterwards anyway. So, just write...even if it isn't the best prose at least you have a starting point.

Writing links

Helpful tips for writers like ourself differ wherever we go but here are a few, please post your own up:
Basic grammar/writing skills
Novel/prose writing
Interesting 'folly's' of writing

My own writing advice:

I'm not going to claim this is the best way to do things, everyone writes different things in different ways:

- Don't be afraid to venture out of your comfort zone. I've ventured out of mine into literary fiction and since have gotten two pieces published in magazines.

- Don't feel that writing a novel is your only way to success. So many authors start out ploughing through tons of short stories. Not only does it help with craft but these can be your foot in the publishing ladder.

- Experiment. The greatest writers of the past hundred years have experimented with style, themes etc. You have Woolf with her stream-of-consciousness, Atwood's dystopia's, Burgess' new languages and Ballard's vulgar but social themes. Have a look at contemporary works and see what is selling at the moment.

- Read. Probably the best piece of advice, though heard so often. If you don't read widely, you will be stuck in the genre of your choice. Read something a month you would never have picked up before and be surprised.

- Don't let anyone put down your work. You are the creator and you will have spent months, even years on this piece of writing. For someone to come up and saying your writing is rubbish without any justification is wrong and don't let it get you down.

However...

- Don't get personal. If someone critiques your work, take it on board. Too many people are too attached to their writing and see criticism as a personal attack. Take an objecting view. If someone is taking time out of their day to read your work and give you honest critique, listen. They aren't there to spite you, only to offer an opinion that may make your work better.