Reply Come Back Mero <33
Trying to type properly Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vyudali

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:31 pm
[[User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Is that what you meant by typing with both hands? I stopped trying to type 'proper' when i left middle school along with the required keyboard class. I was good at it, but once you eventually learn to memorize the layout of the keyboard without looking, it's easier typing your own way without having to do the touch way. I just use whatever finger is close or i feel like unconsciously to press it. I'm pretty quick about it too i sometimes freak people out with how fast i can type.
Looking at it now, i probably use a combination of 4 fingers, alternating between pinky and the center fingers depending on whatever key i need to press. Sometimes i end up using the center fingers to reach the dash anyway though, so i guess i'm pretty loose when it comes to typing since i use my hands for a lot...drawing, violin playing, etc. that all the different finger movement screw up any order i had.
If i'm lazy, leaning on my desk, or doing something with my other hand i use one hand and can type pretty average, but i prefer both hands if i want something done quick.

As long as you get the job done nice and quick, i don't think it matters if you use the 'proper' technique taught by schools or the 4-finger way most people who don't give squat about it do.[/ If you are intent on learning to do it, just memorize what fingers go to what key and it should be fine.
]]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:08 pm
User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.I type properly. I don't even look at the keyboard when typing and can even type blind. See I just did that with my eyes shut! Though even though I'm typing blind I probably have a few spelling errors, not cause of bad typing but because I just can't spell. razz

Now opened my eyes and hey look at that, perfect! When I was a young lass we had keyboarding which was a must, not computers but with a typewriters. We learned how to type properly and its a skill I still use this day. Plus I can type really fast now.

I can't image typing with just one hand/finger. You would have to look at your hands the entire time I think and even though you have finger memory I just can't see it being as fast.

As for a tip, the F and J letters have little bumps. If your hands fly of the keys you can find your place again by the touch of the bumps.  

Shiver`

Frozen Sex Symbol

Diet Poison

Heroic Mage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:39 pm
Now that I think about it, I actually type properly. It's easier, since I know where all the keys are. I don't have to actually look at the keyboard to type.

I was a terrible hunt-and-peck typer when I had to take a computer/keyboarding class. I think I frustrated the poor teacher, because I refused to do it properly.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:50 am
The Dark Illuminati
[[User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Is that what you meant by typing with both hands? I stopped trying to type 'proper' when i left middle school along with the required keyboard class. I was good at it, but once you eventually learn to memorize the layout of the keyboard without looking, it's easier typing your own way without having to do the touch way. I just use whatever finger is close or i feel like unconsciously to press it. I'm pretty quick about it too i sometimes freak people out with how fast i can type.
Looking at it now, i probably use a combination of 4 fingers, alternating between pinky and the center fingers depending on whatever key i need to press. Sometimes i end up using the center fingers to reach the dash anyway though, so i guess i'm pretty loose when it comes to typing since i use my hands for a lot...drawing, violin playing, etc. that all the different finger movement screw up any order i had.
If i'm lazy, leaning on my desk, or doing something with my other hand i use one hand and can type pretty average, but i prefer both hands if i want something done quick.

As long as you get the job done nice and quick, i don't think it matters if you use the 'proper' technique taught by schools or the 4-finger way most people who don't give squat about it do.[/ If you are intent on learning to do it, just memorize what fingers go to what key and it should be fine.
]]

Yeah, that's what I mean by typing properly. I've got the keyboard memorized, it's really a problem with remembering which hand is for which key.

I don't think it matters too much how I type either. I'm really just learning how to type properly because someone at work has said that I should type in a more proffesional looking way because I've been in one of the offices that has customers coming into it.  

Evil Goth Bunny

Kawaii Bunny

Vyudali

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:11 pm
Evil Goth Bunny

Yeah, that's what I mean by typing properly. I've got the keyboard memorized, it's really a problem with remembering which hand is for which key.

I don't think it matters too much how I type either. I'm really just learning how to type properly because someone at work has said that I should type in a more proffesional looking way because I've been in one of the offices that has customers coming into it.
[[Ah, that was my issue at first too. If you just practice and feel for the starting point that marks where your fingers are like the Caps key and the dots on the F and J key like Shiver' said, you can start to memorize them.

That's a sucky reason... I've been in plenty offices where people are typing like crazy without the proper manners. As a customer i wouldn't notice or care if i did.
]]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:01 pm
I barely even look at the screen while typing. I have the spatial awareness of a rock so I've always found it easier to remember what I just typed than where the keys are. *shrug*  

Treacherous Hat

Deadly Dark Elf

11,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle Hardened 150

Naladi

Tiny Lionheart

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:05 am
I type with both hands and I touch the keys, but my typing style is more of a "modified chicken scratch" rather than the fancy-smancy touch typing theyr teach in schools. I've learned how to touch type several times under the compulsion of various instructors, but every time I leave their sight, I devolve back into a delicious bird. Even with my improper typing style, I can type at a pretty good pace as it is, so I don't really feel any pressure to change my ways.

Then again, when I was in elementary school I also refused to hold my pencil the way that the teacher taught me as well. I sometimes freak people out with the way I hold my pencil and the neat handwriting that I'm able to produce with such an unorthodox grip.

What can I say? I'm a rebel. emotion_dealwithit  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:12 pm
Never met anyone who typed with only one hand, I'm surprised to learn it's so common!
I was never taught to type, I left school just after they got computers. I touch type but not because I ever bothered to learn, it just came naturally after a while - like playing the piano.
I use three fingers and a thumb, I have limited mobility in the fingers of my right hand.  

Dickie Twinkles

Sparkly Shounen

15,150 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Susue

Alien Invader

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:23 am
I learned how to type the right way in elementary school but I'm a bit of a chicken pecker. I use my pointer finger on my left hand and my pointer and middle finger on my right. I don't need to look at the keyboard ever. It's like my 3 fingers just know where everything lies. The last time I had to be timed on typing it was around 100 words per minute, so that's good enough I figure.
It's weird though when I capitalize I don't use the shift key but am faster at hitting the caps locks button on and off in quick succession. emotion_facepalm  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:23 pm
huh. I also type with two hands... but I just kinda grew into it because I wanted to type faster and it is much more efficient.  

Yeata Zi
Captain

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175

Ooh Ooh Deja Vu

Wheezing Smoker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:28 pm
I learned with cheesy typing games for kids. If I didn't type properly, then my pixel goldfish would die. =[
You can probably find some on download.com
That place seems to have everything.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:25 pm
Treacherous Hat
I barely even look at the screen while typing. I have the spatial awareness of a rock so I've always found it easier to remember what I just typed than where the keys are. *shrug*

This is mostly what I do as well. I alternate between only staring at the keys, and then go through spurts of touch-typing (I do more touch typing when I use my laptop while laying on my back).

Since I was just staring at my hands for most of the above, I can tell you I only use three fingers most of the time. The pointer and middle finger of my left hand, and occasionally my left ring finger for SHIFT. On my right hand I use the middle finger almost exclusively, except for my pointer finger for the SPACE bar. And when I use shortcuts to cut and paste, I use my left pinkie for CRTL.

I actually never realised how few fingers I use; I never thought about it before. I type very fast, and I often catch typos before looking at the screen. because I know where my fingers should have landed to spell everything correctly.

I was never taught to type, I just picked it up over time. I would recommend looking for some typing games aimed at kids. They make it very easy to learn "correct" typing. But really so long as you can produce something professional, and you take care of possible fatigue, it shouldn't matter how you type.

GirlPuck

Dedicated Hoarder

This Isnt Sparta

Liberal Fatcat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:39 pm
All I can think about right now are the computer lessons I was taught while I was in middle school. Heaven help you if my teacher caught you looking down at the keyboard or not using the proper "ASDF JKL;" technique or whatever they call it. You got serious hell from her. emo
I like to think I have a decent typing speed, a strong memory to not have to look at the keyboard, and I can type pretty decently with just one hand.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:58 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Touch typing is easy once you get the hang of it  

kimono girl snotty

Kawaii Noob

11,850 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Mark Twain 100

Genea

Crew

Sexy Glitch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:30 pm
I learned to type properly. I don't, though. I use pretty much all my fingers, but I'm like... Eh. I don't put them in the right spots. xD I type fairly fast (never timed myself, so w/e) and I type without looking. That's enough for me.  
Come Back Mero <33

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff