Welcome to Gaia! ::

All Writers United

Back to Guilds

A place for any and all writers to share their brilliance. 

Tags: writing, literature, fantasy, horror, roleplay 

Reply Story Development/Ideas
Character Help

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Speckehledtail

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:42 pm
I am currently working on a story, but I have a big problem. I cannot come up with a design for my main antagonist. All I can think of is a 30 or so year old male who is kind of like an evil genius. If anyone could help me with the rest I would be grateful.

I need a name, description, and and some kind of weapon or power.

Thank you in advance to anyone that helps.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:22 am
I need a name, description, and and some kind of weapon or power.

A place I like to go and fool around with character ideas is http://www.seventhsanctum.com/ just for fun and to get my mind thinking.
Picking a name, I usually look at baby name sites for ones that sound like they'd fit, or try and match the meaning with an important trait or characteristic.

What sort of habits does your character have? ex: Does he go for walks in the sun or sit inside to plot up his schemes? In either case his skin and muscle ton vary.
Where is he from? Each culture has their own clothing and hairstyles. (He should fit his surroundings, or is he a rebel and goes against what is the "norm" for where he lives?) It will also help you narrow down colors for hair, skin, and eyes.
What sort of presence do you want him to have? Do you want him to be noticed when he walks into a room, or do people over look him?

Hope this helps!  

ReaperSong

Speckehledtail

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:32 pm
ReaperSong
A place I like to go and fool around with character ideas is http://www.seventhsanctum.com/ just for fun and to get my mind thinking.
Picking a name, I usually look at baby name sites for ones that sound like they'd fit, or try and match the meaning with an important trait or characteristic.

What sort of habits does your character have? ex: Does he go for walks in the sun or sit inside to plot up his schemes? In either case his skin and muscle ton vary.
Where is he from? Each culture has their own clothing and hairstyles. (He should fit his surroundings, or is he a rebel and goes against what is the "norm" for where he lives?) It will also help you narrow down colors for hair, skin, and eyes.
What sort of presence do you want him to have? Do you want him to be noticed when he walks into a room, or do people over look him?

Hope this helps!

Thanks. The site really helped. I usually base my characters off of a name I pick, so I didn't really need the other stuff as much. I appreciate it, though.  
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:29 am
The way I have been plotting out my characters lately is really helpful to me...maybe it could help you as well.

You need to be able to develop your characters throughout the story, even if they are the antagonist.

What is he fighting for? What is he fighting against?

Is there a particular scene you can imagine your antagonist in?

This works mainly for protagonists, but I think it could be adapted either way.

You need to be able to give them emotions, actions...I've tried basing them off of their name before and it doesn't always help.

Also, I would start with appearance and work into personality. My names usually come last. Your character needs to embody what the true antagonist force in your story is.

I hope this was actually helpful instead of sounding like babbling.  

Soranae

4,450 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Night Kunoichi

Wheezing Wyvern

10,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:26 pm
One thing I always do when it comes to my villains is I figure out what I want my antagonists to do during the story, the main conflicts and how their carried out. Your villain can be largely defined on how they attempt to reach their goals. Everytime I do this method I don't need to work anymore because my villains just seem to start developing on their own. XD  
Story Development/Ideas

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games