Submit

Eudaemon

Unbeatable Visionary

10,550 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:40 pm
It's the end of Lent, right? I have no clue.
Heck, I didn't even know what was up with all the fish fast food commercials and our Subway randomly getting seafood sandwiches until I googled it.

I'm a universalist, so I blindly accept most religions to have some sort of truth to them, it's just people today have diluted and reformed it to fit into their stupid ideas (like homosexuality is a sin because the Bible says so, suppression of women using the Qu'ran, etc. BTW the Qu'ran gives women more freedom and rights than the Bible does, if you were to follow it word for word. One of Muhammad's wives was a warrior, so he respected the strength of women. I have no idea how it got used against women in the Middle East.)  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:45 pm
All I really know about it is celebrates the story of the think its called exodus where the Jewish(Israelite's believe is proper name of time) people were freed from slavery in Egypt. Also that it deals with the ten plagues the god of Abraham sent to help free them. Locus was one I think right?

Thats about where my knowledge ends. All honestly I don't know much about religions and there holiday's I know scratch of the surface.  

Troll Djinn

Shapeshifter

Voievoda

Shy Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:03 pm
I feel bad, I'm not really sure.
I vaguelly remember something about Firstborn son and the Israelites slaughtered a lamb to smear blood over their houses to be spared.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:31 am
I find what you all have to say very interesting, I am very happy to see what you all had to say. Once we get closer, maybe I'll find a few links or you all can start searching heart  

Sparkling Anon

Sparkling Giver

18,600 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Tipsy 100

Dickie Twinkles

Sparkly Shounen

15,150 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:34 pm
Really surprised the Christians here don't know much about it, I'm pretty sure the bible has all the same stuff in it.

We're reform Jews and almost all atheists but we still celebrate all the holy days. I live on my own now in a town with only six Jewish people (town has 90k people!) so no "celebration" this year.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:16 am
Passover is the 7 day holiday of ...Unleavened Bread? It commemorates Moses asking the Pharaoh of Egypt to release his people and when Moses was denied God sent 10 plagues (I remember...blood in the water, frogs, locusts, lice, fire storm, and death of the first born). I also recall that the Jews spread lambs blood over their doors to avoid the death of their first born. After the plagues the Pharaoh gives in and lets them go, but the Jews are in such a rush they don't even let their bread have time to rise so now they eat matzah as part of the celebration. Then Moses parts a sea to escape the Pharaoh's soldiers and crashes the water down on them.

I think. xd I'm not religious but I enjoy learning about religion in general. I figure there are extremists involving any area of study. Why let their s**t attitudes ruin something I find interesting?  

Susue

Alien Invader

[color=emo]

Salty Rogue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:29 am
something about passing over the doorsteps marked with lamb's[?] blood
during the plagues of egypt so their first borns wouldn't die.

I think. I have no idea, but for some reason that notion is kind of stuck in my head xD

I also have no idea what the traditions are :'P  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:40 am
my best friends are Messianic Jews =]

In the book of Exodus (in the Bible), the Israelites were enslaved by the Egyptians.
God told Moses to go ask Pharaoh to let the people go sacrifice to him in the wilderness.
Pharaoh said no way and increased the amount of work the people had to do to punish them.
so, God started sending plagues.
I can only remember 9 off the top of my head - water to blood, frogs, flies, boils, livestock diseases, hail, locusts, darkness, and finally, killing of the firstborn.

God set the night he killed the firstborn as a day of remembrance for the Israelites.
he was going to send the "destroyer" through the land of Egypt and going to kill the firstborn of every human and animal.
the Israelites were to kill a firstborn young goat or lamb and roast it.
they were also told that since they would not have time to leavened bread, they were to make unleavened so they could leave quickly on foot.
Then they took the lamb/goat's blood and smeared it using a hyssop bunch on their doorposts and lintel.
the destroyer came in and killed all of the firstborns whose houses were not marked with blood.
then the people left with the Egyptians giving them silver, gold, and clothes.

Passover today is celebrated by having a feast.
7 days before the day, all leavening and food with leavening must be taken out of the house.
if not, the person is cast off from their people.
food prep is very tricky. you cannot have both dairy and meat (except in the cases of fish) for the Passover meal.
depending on whether you are celebrating an Orthadox or a Messianic Passover, you either save a seat for Elijah or no one.
the eldest male in the house reads the script/story as the meal goes on. it takes several hours to complete.
(there are some points that are read by children too).
between each reading of the passover script/story of Exodus, you drink kosher wine.
there is also a point where you eat bitter herbs (parsley dipped in saltwater) to remember the Israelites' tears.

Matzo tastes terrible and smells like dog poop when you cook it.
so I'd just buy the pre-made Matzo crackers ;]

Krateor

Distinct Browser

MrsrachaelSnape

Invisible Cat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:40 am
Krateor
my best friends are Messianic Jews =]

In the book of Exodus (in the Bible), the Israelites were enslaved by the Egyptians.
God told Moses to go ask Pharaoh to let the people go sacrifice to him in the wilderness.
Pharaoh said no way and increased the amount of work the people had to do to punish them.
so, God started sending plagues.
I can only remember 9 off the top of my head - water to blood, frogs, flies, boils, livestock diseases, hail, locusts, darkness, and finally, killing of the firstborn.

God set the night he killed the firstborn as a day of remembrance for the Israelites.
he was going to send the "destroyer" through the land of Egypt and going to kill the firstborn of every human and animal.
the Israelites were to kill a firstborn young goat or lamb and roast it.
they were also told that since they would not have time to leavened bread, they were to make unleavened so they could leave quickly on foot.
Then they took the lamb/goat's blood and smeared it using a hyssop bunch on their doorposts and lintel.
the destroyer came in and killed all of the firstborns whose houses were not marked with blood.
then the people left with the Egyptians giving them silver, gold, and clothes.

Passover today is celebrated by having a feast.
7 days before the day, all leavening and food with leavening must be taken out of the house.
if not, the person is cast off from their people.
food prep is very tricky. you cannot have both dairy and meat (except in the cases of fish) for the Passover meal.
depending on whether you are celebrating an Orthadox or a Messianic Passover, you either save a seat for Elijah or no one.
the eldest male in the house reads the script/story as the meal goes on. it takes several hours to complete.
(there are some points that are read by children too).
between each reading of the passover script/story of Exodus, you drink kosher wine.
there is also a point where you eat bitter herbs (parsley dipped in saltwater) to remember the Israelites' tears.

Matzo tastes terrible and smells like dog poop when you cook it.
so I'd just buy the pre-made Matzo crackers ;]

You should try Matzo ball soup 3nodding

The one you forgot was Lice. Now when I eat Matzo I will think of dog poop gonk .  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:55 pm
I know nothing of Passover and am 100% okay with that. I don't think it's necessary to be an expect on a faith or at least all of its holidays to respect it. So long as you're not doing anything blatantly ignorant, like making threads in the GCD about how Gaia should celebrate Hanukkah on the basis that it already celebrates the Catholic version of Christmas, you're fine.  

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500

hornworts

Rare

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:52 pm
All I know is it gets me a four day weekend, so lol  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:25 pm
I know what passover is all we do is eat fish no red meat xp