SOPA Author violates copyright

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jayce Reinhardt

Divine Muse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:17 am
http://geeks.thedailywh.at/2012/01/12/sopa-author-violates-copyright-of-the-day/

SOPA Author Violates Copyright of the Day: The congressman who authored the Stop Online Privacy Act, which creates severe penalties for website owners accused of copyright violations, is a copyright violator himself, according to Vice.

Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Tx.) used a photo by DJ Schulte as a background image on his website earlier this year. Vice got in contact with Schulte to see if he had given Smith permission to use the image, and it turns out that he hadn’t.

That wouldn’t be a violation in and of itself, because Schulte has released the photo under a Creative Commons license that doesn’t require permission for use. However, it does require anyone who uses the image to attribute it to Schulte, which Smith did not do.

“My conclusion would be that Lamar Smith’s organization did improperly use my image. So according to the SOPA bill, should it pass, maybe I could petition the court to take action against www.texansforlamarsmith.com,” Schulte said.

Vice plans to check the websites of the 31 other SOPA cosigners for similar violations.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:31 am
Wow.

So let's write a bill and then not take it seriously ourselves? :/  

Infamous

Moonlight Citizen

44,600 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Dickie Twinkles

Sparkly Shounen

15,150 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:53 am
Lol, I hope DJ Schulte would sue XD

*wonders what the hell the congressman was doing with DJs photos on his personal website*  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:11 pm
rofl emotion_facepalm rofl

I really have no words...  

Treacherous Hat

Deadly Dark Elf

11,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle Hardened 150

Eudaemon

Unbeatable Visionary

10,550 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:37 pm
rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

This is an EPIC WIN.

Seriously, these people are clueless about the internet. There are a couple there who have an idea of internet culture and even some who are online gamers and active on the internet anonymously. (and they are the only ones who have any sense!)

The seem to have the most sense on how this act will DESTROY THE INTERNET.

Of course, the President has to sign it if it passes. I can see Obama intentionally vetoing it in order to appease younger voters and make them think that "he's saving the interwebs!", therefore getting more votes.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:59 pm
Eudaemon
Of course, the President has to sign it if it passes. I can see Obama intentionally vetoing it in order to appease younger voters and make them think that "he's saving the interwebs!", therefore getting more votes.

Or the President might sign the bill then give a speech about how it's a big victory for the American people and jobs in America.  

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Eudaemon

Unbeatable Visionary

10,550 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:18 pm
Sachie Whitby
Eudaemon

Or the President might sign the bill then give a speech about how it's a big victory for the American people and jobs in America.

The man needs votes really badly, if approval rates and predictions are anything to go by.
Young adults were the people who voted for him the most and the people that oppose this bill are mostly...young adults.

All I know is that the younger people seem to like Ron Paul, so...
(I've read through his beliefs and I have to admit that I like this guy. I'm an Independent, so I vote for whoever looks like they'd screw over the US the least.)  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:38 pm
I hope this just proves they do not know the internet, and shouldn't be even allowed to have anything to do with it when it comes to law making.  

Qyp

Manly Lunatic

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:48 pm
Eudaemon
Sachie Whitby
Eudaemon

The man needs votes really badly, if approval rates and predictions are anything to go by.
Young adults were the people who voted for him the most and the people that oppose this bill are mostly...young adults.

All I know is that the younger people seem to like Ron Paul, so...
(I've read through his beliefs and I have to admit that I like this guy. I'm an Independent, so I vote for whoever looks like they'd screw over the US the least.)

Ron Paul is getting support because he's spoken out against SOPA as it's good for votes when the other candidates he's running against have said absolutely nothing at all on the issue.

The problem with Obama is his biggest supporters during his first election were both Hollywood [pro-SOPA] and Silicon Valley [anti-SOPA.] I think it is very negligent to assume that he will veto the bill unless it becomes completely toxic to his re-election campaign. By that I do mean that those younger voters you mentioned really need to make it clear to Obama that his choices are passing SOPA or getting re-elected, but not both.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:48 pm
        I don't have any strong positive feelings for any of the presidential candidates this year and that's a bit unnerving. I hope whoever gets elected realizes that senators and congressmen aren't the best people to look to for a knowledgeable decision involving the internet. I bet a lot of the people in both houses violate what SOPA represents without realizing it.

Denham

IRL Glitch

24,725 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100

Yeata Zi
Captain

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:38 pm
HAH!  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:59 pm
Another case of "Do as I say, not as I do" I guess.  

Mythey Maysonia

Wealthy Heckler

14,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
Come Back Mero <33

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items