DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:37 pm
When you start not having as much free time to work on painting and building your minis, how do you keep yourselves motivated to do it, to start and finish your projects? I'm in a bit of a rut myself, I'm finding it kinda hard to work on models right now.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:54 am
It helps to set clear goals ahead of you, to not put too much of a load on your schedule at once and to know when to stop for a while so you can focus on something else.

Work on one squad at the time, keep a list of what needs to be done to reach certain point amounts. Start at 500 points and paint those models first, then move on to 1000 points, then 1500, 2000, 2500 and finally, 3000 also known as the lofty realm of Apocalypse. wink Keep the loads small and manageable if 500 points is too much, settle for batches of 250 points instead.

What also really helped for me when I was busy painting up my Guardsmen was the "reward" scheme: I fully paint one regular unit and as a reward, paint say, a HQ or Elites choice next. This works perfectly for Imperial Guard units where your regular Troops choice is (especially now!) made up of numerous separate units making up one choice as a whole. Though in my case I had to pace it out a bit by allowing myself to paint a single Command Squad model every time I finished up an infantry or heavy weapon squad.

And when I got tired of painting my regular army I switched gears and just started painting a model I bought for just that purpose: painting. In my case whenever I got fed up with painting Guardsmen I'd work on my Huron Blackheart instead, turning it into a special project for the display cabinet of my local GW store.

If all that doesn't work, go do something else instead. Read a book, watch a movie, go outside and run a few miles! xp  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Asmusei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:32 am
I download and watch shows like Burn Notice, Big Bang Theory or Legend of the Seeker to watch while building/painting. I also find having two different armies to work on for painting helps; go from painting Chaos pawns to Ultra Marines for my Chess board once I start getting sick of them.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:10 pm
Asmusei
I download and watch shows like Burn Notice, Big Bang Theory or Legend of the Seeker to watch while building/painting. I also find having two different armies to work on for painting helps; go from painting Chaos pawns to Ultra Marines for my Chess board once I start getting sick of them.
That's an idea, but I get too involved in whatever I'm watching when I do stuff like that. I'll have to go through Netflix and find something not quite interesting enough to hold my attention...

Lady Blodwynn
It helps to set clear goals ahead of you, to not put too much of a load on your schedule at once and to know when to stop for a while so you can focus on something else.

I have pretty set goals on my main army, I just get bogged down in how long it takes to paint them in the detail I want. sweatdrop  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

notmuch_23

Lonely Conventioneer

17,525 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:34 pm
I never have a problem building anything. I don't know why, but I have an innate desire to put s**t together. For example, I have at least 2,000 points of Orks. All I've painted to a tabletop level is almost a mob, two big gunz, three deffkoptas, and a battlewagon.

With My Imperial Guard, I have two Chimeras, two Chrinomeras (Chimera conversion from a Rhino), at least 5 infantry squads, two Valkyrie/Vendettas (one I built using a drop pod and plastic), three Bane Wolves (only one is a standard GW model), a Basilisk, four Leman Russes, and two Griffon conversions. All I've painted are two Chimera hulls (haven't even done the turrets), a scrathbuilt Baneblade, and ONE infantry model.

Honestly, I would MUCH rather build than paint. So as far as painting goes, I feel ya.

Can't understand not wanting to build something though...  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:11 pm
DarkElf27
Asmusei
That's an idea, but I get too involved in whatever I'm watching when I do stuff like that. I'll have to go through Netflix and find something not quite interesting enough to hold my attention...
Listen to internet radio shows. We listen to the RadioDrome for our fix of pointlessly fun discussion regarding any type of exploitation movie that's out there.  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Sean King

Lonely Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:25 pm
I drag myself out of the house forcibly and take myself to the shop to paint. Getting away from all the horrible tempations I have at home is really important.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:41 pm
-have a plan and stick to it...
e.g. paint a single miniature a day and you will get full company of marines in less than 4 months.  

Van Evok

Dangerous Hunter

8,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items