Yes
  No, my reasons why are posted.
View Results

Asmusei

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:23 pm
notmuch_23
Asmusei
notmuch_23
I think a 470 ohm resistor between the battery and the diodes will be enough to protect them then.
That'll be perfect for one circuit, but is there one that allows a bit more amperage to pass through?

Maybe a 100 ohm if you can find them, or a 470 before each of the diodes in the branch.

I've done the calculations, and I didn't believe it myself how little resistance the circuit needs.
It's too late for placing one before each Diode, but I'll try getting away with one for each circuit.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:49 pm
Doesn't really matter how much wire is between the resistor and the diode, especially since 28 AWG wire (pretty small) only offers 0.0649224 ohms of resistance per foot. You would need to push DC through at least 15 feet of it to offer even one ohm of resistance: it just needs to be wired so that the conventional current flow (positive to negative) encounters the 470 ohm resistor before it reaches the diode in that branch.  

notmuch_23

Lonely Conventioneer

17,525 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Conventioneer 300

Asmusei

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:05 pm
notmuch_23
Doesn't really matter how much wire is between the resistor and the diode, especially since 28 AWG wire (pretty small) only offers 0.0649224 ohms of resistance per foot. You would need to push DC through at least 15 feet of it to offer even one ohm of resistance: it just needs to be wired so that the conventional current flow (positive to negative) encounters the 470 ohm resistor before it reaches the diode in that branch.
Well, I already glued the figure together and all the lights are no encased, four wires are all that connect them to the outside now. Here, this is roughly what I looks like with both being powered:

User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:15 pm
Of course, I don't think LEDs are that delicate. When I was younger and screwing around with them, I powered them straight off of two AAs and they did just fine, and especially since the current is getting split between different parallel branches, I'd say you're good as you are.

Looks sweet, by the way.

I'll have to light up my own Leman Russes and Chrinomeras now.  

notmuch_23

Lonely Conventioneer

17,525 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Conventioneer 300

Asmusei

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:07 pm
notmuch_23
Of course, I don't think LEDs are that delicate. When I was younger and screwing around with them, I powered them straight off of two AAs and they did just fine, and especially since the current is getting split between different parallel branches, I'd say you're good as you are.

Looks sweet, by the way.

Hey, make a How To, please! I have some ideas, such as using 5mm LEDs as they are cheaper, but you know much more about this kind of thing than I do. Hell, you could probably put lights into the Las Cannons that slowly fade in and out, too!  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:26 pm
Asmusei
notmuch_23

Looks sweet, by the way.

Hey, make a How To, please! I have some ideas, such as using 5mm LEDs as they are cheaper, but you know much more about this kind of thing than I do. Hell, you could probably put lights into the Las Cannons that slowly fade in and out, too!

Ya know, I probably could. I'd just have to build a simple flasher circuit and put a capacitor in parallel with the LED, and then make my own multi-laser that fades like that.

Of course, I'll also see if I can wire up the spotlights and headlights which would just be simple switches.

When I do figure it out, I'll definitely post a tutorial either here or on Youtube and embed it here.  

notmuch_23

Lonely Conventioneer

17,525 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Conventioneer 300

Asmusei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:28 pm
notmuch_23
Asmusei
notmuch_23

Looks sweet, by the way.

Ya know, I probably could. I'd just have to build a simple flasher circuit and put a capacitor in parallel with the LED, and then make my own multi-laser that fades like that.

Of course, I'll also see if I can wire up the spotlights and headlights which would just be simple switches.

When I do figure it out, I'll definitely post a tutorial either here or on Youtube and embed it here.
Awesome, definitely looking forward to it!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:44 pm
Asmusei
notmuch_23
Well, I already glued the figure together and all the lights are no encased, four wires are all that connect them to the outside now. Here, this is roughly what I looks like with both being powered:

User Image
That looks pretty bitchin'. How's the back, with the wires? The only reason I don't want to attempt a project like this is because of loose wires...  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Asmusei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:11 pm
DarkElf27
Asmusei
notmuch_23

User Image
That looks pretty bitchin'. How's the back, with the wires? The only reason I don't want to attempt a project like this is because of loose wires...
Everything is sealed inside the back except for four that poke out the bottom and it isn't too hard to tap into the legs some for them to pipe through.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:23 am
Fantastic job!
This thread is very inspiring not only for 40k but for a lot other games.

Thanks!
K.  

Karago

Original Citizen

12,400 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Asmusei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:48 pm
Karago
Fantastic job!
This thread is very inspiring not only for 40k but for a lot other games.

Thanks!
K.
Thanks!

How about you try making a tutorial of tweaking or kit-bashing something? How about making some cool units by messing with some Warjacks and any leftover bitz?  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff