Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
How do I do this?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A Touch of Evil

Tipsy Genius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:37 pm
Hello! It's been over 2 months since I've been active in here and I apologize. I FINALLY transferred to HSU! mrgreen I love this university, it's so beautiful and my classes are awesome. I swear, it's been gogogogogo ever since I got here....nothing but rush but I love it!

I have a little problem though. I think I may have gained weight since I've been here. I've been here for about 6 weeks already and I don't own a scale. I don't know if I gained weight or much I gained, I feel bigger but I still fit in my size 12 jeans. The main problem is I have a meal plan here (because I live on campus, which is awesome btw). The food here is really delicious but I can't control what they serve or the portions they give. They don't have nutritional info either... I try to make the best choices but it's still cafeteria food.....2 to 3 times a day....sometimes it feels like eating out all the time.

Also, I'm finding myself to be way too busy to find time to work out.....there are times during my days when I *could* work out but I use those times to finish homework and to study. I don't even own a pair of running shoes, I have tennis shoes but they are more for hiking so if I do run, I'd have to use those. They have a nice gym here with many machines and weights, but I really want to run the track and bleachers.

What do you guys think is the best way to keep my weight down? I'm trying to make the best food choices but there are many limitations. For example, another limitation is the currency. We use J points as currency (instead of cash) and I have one of the smaller meal plans so I don't have many J points to spend on multiple small meals, I can only eat there 2 to 3 times a day....and I don't have a job so I don't want to buy groceries especially since I don't really have anywhere to put them anyways. A good thing though is they have a salad bar with fruit and many fresh and locally grown veggies so I guess I just have to stock up on those every time I eat.

I wanna say my only option is to find time to work out. I really really really want to start running again. I feel so unhealthy it's not even funny. I'll continue to make the best choices I can but I want to hear your guys' good ideas too.

How should I go about this?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:23 am
I actually lost 30 lbs when I went to a university. I was pretty much in the same situation as you. Meal plan, dinning dollars, no job(little money), etc. However I did try to go to the gym as much as possible. Breakfast consisted of healthy cereal and not bacon or pan cakes. Lunch was usually the biggest meal soup and grilled cheese example. Dinner was salad. If I wanted something sweet I would choose fruit or small pudding cup. Now I did treat myself from time to time. After all I am sure you go out to eat. However I just tried portion control. Eat slowly to know when you are full. I was also involved in a group that kept me active and walking all around campus many times a day. MOST IMPORTANTLY: I only drank water.

Also try to buy a scale. Know your weight and if you are indeed gaining then knowing will make you do something about it. Believe me. I was a lot heavier yet still fit into the same size. I thought I was not that big because I never weighed myself. Big mistake.  

ALLIGAT0R TEARS

Familiar Fairy

7,100 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Invisibility 100

A Touch of Evil

Tipsy Genius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:14 pm
ALLIGAT0R TEARS
I actually lost 30 lbs when I went to a university. I was pretty much in the same situation as you. Meal plan, dinning dollars, no job(little money), etc. However I did try to go to the gym as much as possible. Breakfast consisted of healthy cereal and not bacon or pan cakes. Lunch was usually the biggest meal soup and grilled cheese example. Dinner was salad. If I wanted something sweet I would choose fruit or small pudding cup. Now I did treat myself from time to time. After all I am sure you go out to eat. However I just tried portion control. Eat slowly to know when you are full. I was also involved in a group that kept me active and walking all around campus many times a day. MOST IMPORTANTLY: I only drank water.

Also try to buy a scale. Know your weight and if you are indeed gaining then knowing will make you do something about it. Believe me. I was a lot heavier yet still fit into the same size. I thought I was not that big because I never weighed myself. Big mistake.

Thanks for the good ideas. I already walk everywhere because I left my car at home. Also.....I think I've only gone out to eat once the entire 6 weeks I've been here.... No money to eat out and I figure I have a meal plan for a reason.

I'm concerned about getting hungry every few hours if I eat too lightly, because again, I don't have that many j points to spend and the cafeteria (it's called the j) is open from 7-1:30 for breakfast and lunch, then they close until 4:30, then at 4:30-7 is dinner. I've been trying to stick to protein so I don't starve, but maybe that's whats making me gain weight. Not sure. Oh well, I'll try to make better choices. Water is the only thing I've been drinking since last year (except for the occasional beer with my roomies every once in a while).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:52 pm
Well I guess I would have to know what your diet is like first. Maybe it is fine. It's good that you are drinking water as much as you can. I as well did drink here and there socially.  

ALLIGAT0R TEARS

Familiar Fairy

7,100 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Invisibility 100

A Touch of Evil

Tipsy Genius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:22 pm
In a nutshell, I only eat breakfast twice during the week, then on the weekends. I always eat lunch and dinner everyday and recently I've been making a conscious effort to pick smaller portions and getting more veggies and salads.

Oh and I jogged and walked last night with two others for almost an hour. We're going to try to hit up the gym tonight to use the machines. Hopefully, all this hard work will pay off soon.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:20 pm
Yeah then the portion control and working out should help. Have fun!  

ALLIGAT0R TEARS

Familiar Fairy

7,100 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Invisibility 100
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games