Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
ponygirl's sketchbook Needs crit

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ponygirl74

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:12 pm
User Image
I'm wondering mostly about the wood on the star. Does it look like branches ?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:55 pm
COol!!!! Dragon!! I wish I could draw a dragon like that. I think the wood on the star look like branches.
Let me show you one if my images.
[edited by Errol: Make your own sketchbook to post your art. Do not post your art in other people's threads. Ever.]  

Kalistone 13 Crystal

7,650 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50

ponygirl74

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:21 pm
Blackstone Crystal
COol!!!! Dragon!! I wish I could draw a dragon like that. I think the wood on the star look like branches.
Let me show you one if my images.
User Image

You'll get there one day. I really like the eyes esp the left one, it's different in a good way. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:08 am
Please use this one thread for all your artwork.

Thank you.

And on to critique. What tools are you using?

Lines:
Colour:
Digital (Scan cleanup/save):

It does look like branches, but the dragon is ******** confusing. If you let me know what you're using, I may be able to give you tips to help make things more clear and easy to read.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

ponygirl74

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:21 pm
Errol McGillivray
Please use this one thread for all your artwork.

Thank you.

And on to critique. What tools are you using?

Lines:
Colour:
Digital (Scan cleanup/save):

It does look like branches, but the dragon is ******** confusing. If you let me know what you're using, I may be able to give you tips to help make things more clear and easy to read.

I'm using inktense watersoliable pencils and the outline with prismacolor pen/marker. I'm not finished, I still have to do shading on the body and the wings.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:15 pm
This is an enjoyable piece to look at. I myself have a hard time dealing with anything that isn't a human body, so bravo. Although I believe you should work on line thickness variation. Being able to make the right lines thicker and others lighter helps improve the qualilty of the work. Hmmm wood on a star? I'm not sure what you were going for when you say that. Is it wood on a metal star frame? I think it looks fine, although working on shading could help. I think the fact it looks like nature formed a natural star is awesome. Keep up the good work and always strive to be better!  

Guaif

10,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200

ponygirl74

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:11 pm
Bohemian Hybrid
This is an enjoyable piece to look at. I myself have a hard time dealing with anything that isn't a human body, so bravo. Although I believe you should work on line thickness variation. Being able to make the right lines thicker and others lighter helps improve the qualilty of the work. Hmmm wood on a star? I'm not sure what you were going for when you say that. Is it wood on a metal star frame? I think it looks fine, although working on shading could help. I think the fact it looks like nature formed a natural star is awesome. Keep up the good work and always strive to be better!

Thanks! The star is branches formed in a shape of a star, I always strive to be better. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:03 am
You have a lovely design going on with the dragon. What it needs is more color.

The shading on the branches have nice highlights and shadows and is off to a good start...which makes the usage of one single color on the vines, dragon and scales all the more flat. So much potential there!

Highlights and contrasts. Put a touch of grey/blue to the eye to give it shape. Have dark shading next to stark white on the horns, maybe the claws to give it the smooth, polished shine. Use white from a gel pen if you have to.  

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:41 pm
Sorry for the long delay in reply.

Before you begin to put in your colour, make a photocopy or scan it and print out just the lineart. Make a value proof in greyscale.

This will help you create your focal point and also separate your levels before you spend time colouring.

User Image

If you greyscale your image, you can see that it's all around the same grey. That's very confusing and makes it all very flat. When I black it all in, you can see what the silhouette looks like. You can't tell one thing from another. The silhouette is the REAL information people read, so keep them clear and separate them with different values. The more contrast between them, the more they pop.

Here, I gave the darkest value the the dragon and made the eye white, because that's the biggest contrast and it will draw attention to his face. (Which is good. You don't want a centered focal point.) Then I chose another, lighter value for the bark, so that there was less contrast with the eye, but still a lot of contrast with the dragon. He really stands out and you can see everything clearly. I used a lighter value, but not close to white for the leaves, so they stand out and are clear too. Still the only white in the image is the eye. If I wanted to add accents to the dragon, I would do so in a value close to that of his skin and the same goes for the branches. High contrasts will separate things.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:13 am
http://ponygirl74.deviantart.com/#/d4roxzd
This needs a crit if need be I can upload it here if some don't have an account with them.  

ponygirl74

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff