Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Valve Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is dedicated to the Valve Corporation. Makers of Half Life. 

Tags: Valve, Team Fortress 2, Portal, Counter Strike, Left 4 Dead 

Reply Off Topic Discussions
Hammerfight (Other Humble Bundle stuff too)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Xennified

Friendly Friend

9,750 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:45 pm
I got the humble bundle today, mainly for Hammerfight which looked pretty awesome, I've been looking for a game like this and Hammerfight kinda kills it.
The first thing I noticed was that the controls are pretty bad. To have the mouse sensitivity high enough to play the actual game, you sacrifice being able to use the menus easily. This is a pretty small point, but it's really annoying.
It's also horribly unpredictable, sometimes the enemy will start with a hammer that's shooting green smoke everywhere, apparently this is the equivalent of a permanent Kritzkrieg ubercharge (For you TF2 players) because he took me out in a matter of seconds. It's not only the enemies that can go crazy at times either, at the level I'm on the screen keeps moving by itself, leaving me off-screen getting crashed into by enemy blimps that look pretty much the same as the ones I'm meant to be protecting.
It may seem like a pretty simple concept, just knock out the enemies while trying not to get hit too much, but there's no indicator of when you're close to winning, or even whether you're hitting the right thing. Most often, the best course of action is to flail around constantly retrying the level until you get a victory.

All these bad points aside though, it's a pretty damn addictive game. That could just be me though, as I've been wanting to play something like this for years.

On the subject of other games in the humble bundle-
Cogs: I got this with the potato pack a few months ago, I HAAAATE tile sliding puzzles so much, but this manages to persuade me into hating them a little less. If you like tile sliding puzzles, you should love Cogs.
Crayon Physics: I played a freeware DS game which was like this, but had no goals and was glitchy as heck. This fixes the bad points that had, and it's a pretty relaxing game. It's really easy so far, but there are a lot more levels so I'd imagine it gets a lot more difficult.
I haven't played the other two (VVVVVV and 'And yet it moves') but I'll edit something in once I have.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:36 pm
I've played a VVVVVV demo before, and it was really fun  

Roisu
Crew

Witty Phantom

12,350 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Invisibility 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Off Topic Discussions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff