The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Dusty Models?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How long have you been collecting models?
  Less than 1 year
  1-3 years
  3-5 years
  5-7 years
  7+ years
View Results

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:57 pm
I know a lot of people around here have been collecting for long enough that some of their older models are covered in a fine layer of dust in all the crevices that aren't exactly easy to remove. For my part, I definitely have a lot of models that look like they have (and have) spent way too long on a shelf, table, or a box.

I did just figure out a solution though, at least for those who have the tools. Anyone who owns an airbrush, try loading it up with just water and going over your models with a relatively high-pressure fog, making sure to go over the whole surface area, and then follow up with just air to blow the water off the models.

However, this method does have one major flaw. While it doesn't affect the paint at all, it will take most decals off cleanly. With that in mind, if you're trying to get rid of decals on a model without messing it up, this is a pretty good bet.

Does anyone else have issues with dusty models? Any other solutions floating around out there?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:46 pm
Well, my girlfriend and I usually use a dry-brush, since they're usually crap and frayed quite a bit to dust them off. Otherwise, a can of compressed air at any computer shop does the job, just use it in spurts, you don't want the excelorent (however it's spelled) to cause flash-freezing your figures and shrinking the paint right off of them.  

Asmusei -Faceless Hunter-

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:43 pm
We held ours submersed in lukewarm water or gave them a quick rinse.

Oh yeah, I'm talking about inquisitor models. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:15 am
Re: decals.

It helps if you fix them in place with purity seal, varnish or a combo of micro set & sol.

As for cleaning the actual models, vehicles are rinsed under a tap and left to dry over the course of a day. Smaller models that I don't store away in cases get a pressurized air treatment or I blow it off myself. And yes, look out with spraying too much, the acceleration gasses can ruin paint and decals.

Though I must say every since I inherited a small display case for my "prized" models of the month I didn't have to dust them off too often.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:56 pm
Lt. Brookman
Re: decals.

It helps if you fix them in place with purity seal, varnish or a combo of micro set & sol.

As for cleaning the actual models, vehicles are rinsed under a tap and left to dry over the course of a day. Smaller models that I don't store away in cases get a pressurized air treatment or I blow it off myself. And yes, look out with spraying too much, the acceleration gasses can ruin paint and decals.

Though I must say every since I inherited a small display case for my "prized" models of the month I didn't have to dust them off too often.
Oh definitely, I'd love to get a curio cabinet of some sort, but they cost an arm and a leg. sweatdrop

For all intents and purposes, the airbrush can be used the same as canned air, and you won't have to worry about buying more cans or dealing with accelerant. The water lets it act almots like a miniature pressure washer. I dunno, I don't want to dip my models, makes me worry about the paint.  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games