Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 20. ✿ - - - Debating
Should we be allowed to euthanize people?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Denkou Soshiatae

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:36 am
We euthenize animals for so many reasons. If they attack someone, if they have a terminal illness, if they are suffering horribly and won't get better, or if we think it is what we need to do (ex: the dog shows aggression and will only get worse).
We also kill people for killing other people. But what about if they are suffering?
Let's face it, there are some terribly diseases out there, diseases that cause pain and agony for years and years until finally the persons dies. So why is it that we think it is humane to keep these people alive, if it is absolute that they are going to die?
I bring this up because I was watching an episode of L&O about a couple who gave there infant daughter enough pain killers to kill her, because she was diagnosed with a disease which would cause her unimaginable pain and suffering, from constant ache and pains and fragile bones, to slow loss of all of her senses, and they didn't want their daughter to have to go through that.

I think that the euthanization of people who want it and have a reason for it should be allowed. As for people who can't consent, whether it be because they can't speak or they are too young, the person in charge of their health can decide with the help of their doctors.
I mean, if we are fine with euthanizing people for legal reasons, why not do it to ease suffering as well?And not to say that this would be used in all cases of a terminal illness, but only in rarer cases in which it is literally impossible for the person to get better.

So what do you think?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:16 am
I don't believe that people should be sent to death as a punishment for a crime-- I just don't believe in that, it sounds overly cruel even if its 'eye for an eye' justice.

I do believe people who are suffering TERRIBLE pain due to illness of some sort should be given the option to be killed, in a peaceful manner, perhaps in their sleep so the death wouldn't be as painful. I only feel this appropriate if the disease is causing them complete and utter misery and the patient really wants it and feels it would be a better option. Also I only support it if the disease is at its worse-- not the starting stages.  

V2Mew

Femme Autobot Crescendo

Proxy Werewolf

12,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:20 pm
If they have a terrible, terminal and incurable illness, and all one can do is administer painkillers until the painful death(say, severe radiation sickness). Or, if they're in terrible daily pain and there's nothing you can do...  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:12 pm
V2Mew
I don't believe that people should be sent to death as a punishment for a crime-- I just don't believe in that, it sounds overly cruel even if its 'eye for an eye' justice.

I do believe people who are suffering TERRIBLE pain due to illness of some sort should be given the option to be killed, in a peaceful manner, perhaps in their sleep so the death wouldn't be as painful. I only feel this appropriate if the disease is causing them complete and utter misery and the patient really wants it and feels it would be a better option. Also I only support it if the disease is at its worse-- not the starting stages.

Oh no trust me, I am in NO way for the death penalty (or at least in most cases). I think that "killing people to show people that killing people is wronge" just doesn't make sense.

But, if people are going to fight for the death penalty, they should fight for euthanization.  

Denkou Soshiatae

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:26 pm
Not a fan of the death penalty, so I don't support the idea in those cases.

As far as suffering from an incurable disease goes, I don't fully understand why this isn't an option for the person. When a pet has an incurable disease and your only options are to euthanize them now or have them be in pain until the disease kills them, everyone says that euthanizing them is the right choice. If it's humane to not make the animal suffer, why is it humane to keep a person in the same position alive for as long as possible?

Obviously it would only be available in specific circumstances (the disease is incurable and will eventually kill the patient, the person is in severe pain from the disease, etc.), and the person would have to consent to the procedure.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:15 am
Hmm...well, I believe murder is a sin. And we are not talking about the death penalty where people deserve it. BUT I do think that maybe Euthenization might be okay if the person has like a serious, incurable, disease. Like in the episode of SVU that I watched. This lady killed her baby by giving it a lethal dose of anti-depressants. But the baby had infant Tay-sacs. The only thing the child looked forward to was a horrible five years of life. BUt i think it should ONLY be allowed when the person asks for it. I don't know. Stuff like this is in the gray area. I know that God says that you shouldn't take a life...but I don't think he would punish someone for simply following someone's else wishes.  

Melody Trinity Ann

Shy Cutie-Pie

9,000 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Conversationalist 100

TH3_G1ITCH_

Enduring Receiver

13,300 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:49 am
I believe in the death penalty, but maybe that's because we don't have it here.
I think if a person kills another person, then they should die the way their victim(s) did.

Getting back on topic, I believe a person has a right to choose if they're suffering from a terminal illness.
It's their life and clearly they're going to die, so if they would rather it be sooner than later then i don't believe others have the right to choose for them.
Especially if they're going to suffer!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:28 pm
Melody Trinity Ann
Hmm...well, I believe murder is a sin. And we are not talking about the death penalty where people deserve it. BUT I do think that maybe Euthenization might be okay if the person has like a serious, incurable, disease. Like in the episode of SVU that I watched. This lady killed her baby by giving it a lethal dose of anti-depressants. But the baby had infant Tay-sacs. The only thing the child looked forward to was a horrible five years of life. BUt i think it should ONLY be allowed when the person asks for it. I don't know. Stuff like this is in the gray area. I know that God says that you shouldn't take a life...but I don't think he would punish someone for simply following someone's else wishes.

That is exactly the episode that I saw! If my baby only had such a painful, miserable and long death ahead of it, then I would absolutely want to end his or her pain quickly, painlessly, and before they had a chance to really suffer.  

Denkou Soshiatae

inky6

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:50 pm
I personally think that people with terminal illnesses should be able to take their life, or have someone do it for them if they are not physically able, if they want to.
The death penalty...it depends on what they did.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:57 pm
I'm all for it health-wise. The only reason I would want it in the death penalty is if they murder in prison.
In that situation, they're posing a threat to others in a place that's supposed to discourage it.

2A30128

Shameless Heckler

12,000 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Partygoer 500

xXwolfyhybridXx

Thieving Werewolf

9,500 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:17 pm
I agree with killing prisoners off. Why would I want to keep a lunatic alive in jail? Who can get food, have a warm place to sleep and drink for free! If someone has killed at least more than 6 people, they should be killed. I strongly believe rapist (at least 6 or more woman) and child molesters should be put to death too.

I think people with terrible illness should be able to have the choice to kill themselves. I wouldn't want to go through that kind of pain, and besides if I'm paralyzed on my bed. I would like to be killed, I would rather be dead than be paralyzed on a bed for the rest of my life. It would get so lonely. You would miss out on things and you wouldn't be able to take care of yourself. That is just something I couldn't handle. I do believe this should go into affect.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:50 am
User Image  

Lady Kira X

Caring Cleric

10,300 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Seasoned Warrior 250

Mord Alushar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:38 pm
I believe that dangerous criminals deserve to be put down. It seems more humane than having them locked up the rest of their life possibly learning to become more dangerous and a bigger threat to society.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:43 pm
User Image
User ImageUser Image

As far as killing over a crime, I think that should be a case by case thing, you never know really.
If someone is in agonizing pain and asking for death then I think they should have the right to choose death. Its their life, they should be allowed to make their own life decisions.
/opinion end

User ImageUser Image  

The Forbidden Soul

Kawaii Sentai

20. ✿ - - - Debating

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out