Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Spiritual Geneaology and Reconstructionism

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AvalonAuggie

4,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:49 am
Right, I couldn't find and recent posts on this topic that I knew of, and I've been pondering this question for rather a long time. I'd really appreciate some input on this from people way smarter than I. sweatdrop

I've noticed in my travels across the internets that lots of people who follow Recon faiths so it because they have a genetic tie to that particular culture whose religion they're reconstructing. And I'm assuming there's a portion of eclectic neopagans who include gods from certain pantheons because of cultural ties (as opposed to being called to worship that particular deity/having a particular affinity/because Pan is cool)

Assuming that not every Recon pagan was born and raised in that faith, there would be a part of one's family or cultural history not related to the reconstructed faith, a part that's attached to a hegemonic religion like Christianity.

The issue that's been bothering me personally is this: if you start following a Recon faith you have cultural ties to in order to get in touch with your roots, honor your ancestors, etc., is that a dishonor to your Christian (or Muslim or Jewish or whatever) ancestors? Is it acceptable to choose with parts of your family's religious history to emulate?
In a related question, if different sides of your family can be traced to different cultural faiths, how do you (or should you?) incorporate disparate traditions?

Thanks in advance to anyone kind/patient enough to slog through my doubt-filled, self-centered ramblings. I seem to be at a point of spiritual crisis of sorts.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:41 am
Topic is four pages long at the bottom of this page called "Metagenetics".  

TeaDidikai

Nashoba Kaga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:54 am
I don't think it's a dishonor to your family's beliefs at all. I mean all my familys' christian even though our family was known to do voodoo (we are louisiana cajuns)bore that and if they can just as easily down the line start cleaning up and go to church then there's your answer.

I believe that if something doesn't work for you then by all means,change it. My family was telling me how the Xtian god turn his back on me once I made the decision to stay with my current path. But I believe that god knows I'm doing something that could possibly make me stronger as a person, so perhaps,he might have a lil mercy on me.

As for your crisis if your have doubts, find a way to to combine differenmt beliefs to make you happy.(I.E. A friend of mine wanted to worship the elements without giving up his christian faith so he now worships the elements as a part of god,meaning basically he decided he could do both.)Or my boyfriend whose mother was a proud new ager until until four years ago when she started going to church. Her son grew up to become a norse reconstructionist,and everytime she sees him, she hassles him about going to church.

But it's up to you.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff