Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply The Friends of English Magic Guild
The Eight by Kathrine Neville

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LillianSaire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:22 pm
Has anyone here read The Eight?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:39 am
No, sorry.  

Beckygan
Crew

7,150 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Member 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

beaulolais
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:53 pm
but if you tell me about it,

then mayhap i shall!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:47 pm
It is a 1980's-ish era quest/adventure based around and stylized like chess with a legend/past that breaks up the main story (so basically two parallel stories in different times) and slowly sheds light on what is happening. It started a bit odd and slow but apart from sporadic slow portions was surprisingly enjoyable for a book I got from GoodWill.  

LillianSaire

beaulolais
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:11 pm
i am a fanatic for used books meself!

and as for 80's, well, that would be me too, so yeh, i'll give it a test drive or so  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:45 pm
This book was actually given to me as a gift from a Spanish-speaking friend of mine who told me it resembled a "DaVinci Code-esque" thriller. Since it is from the 1980s, and since she is not a native English speaker, I was willing to forgive her not noticing some of the more...obvious...instances of cultural ignorance.

I mean, it was compelling, but at times I felt it was uncomfortably insensitive about modern - or 1980s, as it were - Algerian culture. I don't have instances on hand to cite here, but reading it I would get a hint at it every now and then.

Not to mention that part where Quaddafi shows up. Note, I read this about a week after he was killed. Just freaked me out.

But despite that it was okay. Not great in my opinion, but a nice beach read maybe.  

The Sycamore Lady

8,250 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Nudist Colony 200

LillianSaire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:22 pm
About Gaddafi, consider that there is a squeal set after 2000 with Kat's kid. (The Fire). The pair are open that the modern part is not intended to not age but instead to be true to the historical story and genealogy.

Speaking of which, I never quite understood the family tree that connected the two brothers and their mother to Charlemagne.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:21 am
heh.

it seems to me that if someone cannot link to Charlemagne by way of geneology they will do so by claiming some connection in a "past life".

same goes for Cleopatra, it seems to me.  

beaulolais
Vice Captain

The Friends of English Magic Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces