Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Slash Guild

Back to Guilds

HPSG is a guild for the discussion and pure love of all things Harry Potter and slash! Join us in support of your favorite pairing! 

Tags: Harry Potter, slash, Potter, femslash, Harry 

Reply HPSG Head Quarters
Peter Love? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[Ren The Ryoko]
Crew

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:48 pm
starsmaycollide
[Ren The Ryoko]
starsmaycollide
I didn't like him when I read the books because if you're going to betray friends who would quite willingly die for you, at least do it for something more than, "If I didn't, he'd kill me!" There are people in books and movies who commit an act of betrayal but are so badass/fascinating that you can't help but still like them. Then you have to wonder how long they'd been planning their Evil Plan and how they managed to hide it and just a whole lot of other things about them. (Not that I'd condone this in real life, but it's entertaining when no one real is harmed).

Peter didn't do that. He just went with it. Plus in POA, when he starts trying to act obsequious to Harry, it's kind of... eh. I'm not too crazy about suck-ups, and that's always how he came off to me. I know that's not how everyone sees him, but once he struck me that way it never really changed.

Then someone pointed out in a drabble that here was a fully grown man with nothing to lose who slept in a little boy's room for years and years, and I'm sure nothing happened but it didn't really help my mental image of him. Rather the opposite, in fact. D:

Er, so that would be my roundabout way of saying no, I don't really pair him with anyone. Marauder stories make me depressed because I can't forget what happens to everyone, so no dice there. I could see Voldemort getting bored and calling him in to occupy him, and he was living in Snape's house for a while, but I sincerely doubt there's any spark of romance there. And he was living with the Weasleys of course, but let's not go there. >_<

Is it weird that pretty much I like Peter for the reasons you don't like him?

He's sad and scared and more than a little pathetic. He's lost every thing and is terrified for his life.
The truth is that we don't REALLY know what made everything go sour for him. We know he was threatened, but we don't know exactly with what, or how long it took, or what that initial contact was, or his thoughts throughout it.

And it's that unknown-ness that makes me want to flush Peter out.

I was really pissed off when his death was so...unspectacular.
I really wanted him to have a big redeeming moment and prove why he was a Gryffindor at all, and prove why he was James's most trusted friend. Hell, James and Sirius trusted Peter more than they trusted REMUS at the end there.
And I wanted to SEE why.

And instead, the very moment that Peter had his chance, the moment he even THOUGHT about doing good: BAM, dead.
Which I guess is poetic all on it's own.
Not weird at all! If anything it makes me happy, if everyone liked the same characters, it'd get boring after a while. I like debating things, though I don't always do it well. And if everyone had the same tastes there'd be no pairing wars, and what would we do without those? XD

Hey, too little too late. I kind of liked the fact that most of the characters got unspectacular deaths, it made it more realistic. Not everyone is going to die on the back of a dragon while blasting Requiem for a Dream and taking down Death Eaters with lethal fireworks. Though that would be awesome and I would watch that. But dang it, you're kind of making me like him because you pointed out that whole scene, and now Peter's story has all these morals like don't wait too long to do the right thing, another opportunity might not come along or even if it does come along you're still dead, etc.

Now you're making me wonder how he became so utterly broken, too. I thought the stress of the war was too much for him, and then Voldemort found him. I wonder if he felt betrayed by his friends for not realizing that he'd gotten into trouble and not helping him. That would almost make sense: they're not helping me, why should I help them? After all, his friends were willing to die for him, but you can't exactly put yourself in a situation to die for someone unless you actually realize there's a situation in the first place. I wonder if he ever felt overshadowed by his friends or if he really was "content with riding their coattails" as Lupin put it.

...Oh frick. Why are all my least favorite characters waiting until this week to climb the ranks of my mental character hierarchy? Is there something going on I should know about? XD

I think it's pretty safe to say that Peter felt a bit overshadowed by his friends. That and James had Sirius living with him for years, and was financially supporting Remus, and was married to Lily and what about Peter? He seemed to be treated just...kind of like a pet. How much would it take for that to get to him? Among the death threats and the fear and the stress, on top of all those feelings of being the odd man out, the "pity friend".  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:49 pm
[Ren The Ryoko]
I think it's pretty safe to say that Peter felt a bit overshadowed by his friends. That and James had Sirius living with him for years, and was financially supporting Remus, and was married to Lily and what about Peter? He seemed to be treated just...kind of like a pet. How much would it take for that to get to him? Among the death threats and the fear and the stress, on top of all those feelings of being the odd man out, the "pity friend".
Thank you. I am now imagining Sirius digging into his stash of doggie treats and trying to train Peter. "C'mon boy, roll over! Now play dead! Man, Peter, you're really good at that." >.<

Anyways, getting back to the main point, I guess it's easy to see why resentment would build up. Oh, if you're interested, there's this really good fic I found a while back. Peter stars in one of the chapters, here's the link to it: Click Me! It's a crossover of Discworld and HP, but you don't need to know Discworld to like it. Everyone goes to King's Cross when they die, not just Harry, and it's all a matter of whether they will wait or go forward, and who they board the trains with. I really liked Peter's characterization in this.  

starsmaycollide

Tipsy Dabbler

[Ren The Ryoko]
Crew

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:01 pm
starsmaycollide
[Ren The Ryoko]
Thank you. I am now imagining Sirius digging into his stash of doggie treats and trying to train Peter. "C'mon boy, roll over! Now play dead! Man, Peter, you're really good at that." >.<

Anyways, getting back to the main point, I guess it's easy to see why resentment would build up. Oh, if you're interested, there's this really good fic I found a while back. Peter stars in one of the chapters, here's the link to it: Click Me! It's a crossover of Discworld and HP, but you don't need to know Discworld to like it. Everyone goes to King's Cross when they die, not just Harry, and it's all a matter of whether they will wait or go forward, and who they board the trains with. I really liked Peter's characterization in this.

Oh man. Discworld/HP Cross over? That sounds WICKED.
What Discworld characters are in it? (It's like...one of my favorite book series)  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:23 am
[Ren The Ryoko]
starsmaycollide
[Ren The Ryoko]

What Discworld characters are in it? (It's like...one of my favorite book series)
Er... I haven't actually read it yet. I think Death is the station conductor, and he has a cat and there's a rat around. And then in one of the later chapters (they're all oneshots focusing on different characters after death) there's a teacher. I don't know any of the characters and I didn't even need to, it's just that good of a story.  

starsmaycollide

Tipsy Dabbler

[Ren The Ryoko]
Crew

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:46 am
starsmaycollide
[Ren The Ryoko]
starsmaycollide
[Ren The Ryoko]

Er... I haven't actually read it yet. I think Death is the station conductor, and he has a cat and there's a rat around. And then in one of the later chapters (they're all oneshots focusing on different characters after death) there's a teacher. I don't know any of the characters and I didn't even need to, it's just that good of a story.

Well, I may have to check it out.
I'm in favor of any positive Peter fanfic.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:03 pm
[Ren The Ryoko]
starsmaycollide
[Ren The Ryoko]
starsmaycollide
[Ren The Ryoko]

Well, I may have to check it out.
I'm in favor of any positive Peter fanfic.

find any that's good, yet?

Speaking of the kind of thought, if there was a Super-Robot-Wars-styled video game involving the Potter-world, maybe there's a chance to salvage Peter's management.  

Javier Cross

Javier Cross

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:25 pm
[Ren The Ryoko]
starsmaycollide
[Ren The Ryoko]
starsmaycollide
I didn't like him when I read the books because if you're going to betray friends who would quite willingly die for you, at least do it for something more than, "If I didn't, he'd kill me!" There are people in books and movies who commit an act of betrayal but are so badass/fascinating that you can't help but still like them. Then you have to wonder how long they'd been planning their Evil Plan and how they managed to hide it and just a whole lot of other things about them. (Not that I'd condone this in real life, but it's entertaining when no one real is harmed).

Peter didn't do that. He just went with it. Plus in POA, when he starts trying to act obsequious to Harry, it's kind of... eh. I'm not too crazy about suck-ups, and that's always how he came off to me. I know that's not how everyone sees him, but once he struck me that way it never really changed.

Then someone pointed out in a drabble that here was a fully grown man with nothing to lose who slept in a little boy's room for years and years, and I'm sure nothing happened but it didn't really help my mental image of him. Rather the opposite, in fact. D:

Er, so that would be my roundabout way of saying no, I don't really pair him with anyone. Marauder stories make me depressed because I can't forget what happens to everyone, so no dice there. I could see Voldemort getting bored and calling him in to occupy him, and he was living in Snape's house for a while, but I sincerely doubt there's any spark of romance there. And he was living with the Weasleys of course, but let's not go there. >_<

Is it weird that pretty much I like Peter for the reasons you don't like him?

He's sad and scared and more than a little pathetic. He's lost every thing and is terrified for his life.
The truth is that we don't REALLY know what made everything go sour for him. We know he was threatened, but we don't know exactly with what, or how long it took, or what that initial contact was, or his thoughts throughout it.

And it's that unknown-ness that makes me want to flush Peter out.

I was really pissed off when his death was so...unspectacular.
I really wanted him to have a big redeeming moment and prove why he was a Gryffindor at all, and prove why he was James's most trusted friend. Hell, James and Sirius trusted Peter more than they trusted REMUS at the end there.
And I wanted to SEE why.

And instead, the very moment that Peter had his chance, the moment he even THOUGHT about doing good: BAM, dead.
Which I guess is poetic all on it's own.
Not weird at all! If anything it makes me happy, if everyone liked the same characters, it'd get boring after a while. I like debating things, though I don't always do it well. And if everyone had the same tastes there'd be no pairing wars, and what would we do without those? XD

Hey, too little too late. I kind of liked the fact that most of the characters got unspectacular deaths, it made it more realistic. Not everyone is going to die on the back of a dragon while blasting Requiem for a Dream and taking down Death Eaters with lethal fireworks. Though that would be awesome and I would watch that. But dang it, you're kind of making me like him because you pointed out that whole scene, and now Peter's story has all these morals like don't wait too long to do the right thing, another opportunity might not come along or even if it does come along you're still dead, etc.

Now you're making me wonder how he became so utterly broken, too. I thought the stress of the war was too much for him, and then Voldemort found him. I wonder if he felt betrayed by his friends for not realizing that he'd gotten into trouble and not helping him. That would almost make sense: they're not helping me, why should I help them? After all, his friends were willing to die for him, but you can't exactly put yourself in a situation to die for someone unless you actually realize there's a situation in the first place. I wonder if he ever felt overshadowed by his friends or if he really was "content with riding their coattails" as Lupin put it.

...Oh frick. Why are all my least favorite characters waiting until this week to climb the ranks of my mental character hierarchy? Is there something going on I should know about? XD

Probably not good for most people, i reckon?  
HPSG Head Quarters

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff