Review: Promethean Sun *** Spoilers ***

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:30 pm
So, is it worth the purchase or should we wait this one out?

In all honesty, wait it out. While not a bad story it doesn't have a whole lot to it to justify such a steep price for a 120-ish page novella. I'd say sit the two years out and wait for the cheaper reprint, you won't be missing much.

Verdict: 2,5 out of 5

The story synopsis, warning: Spoilers - highlight to read: The three legions are sent to a world that is home to both primitive humans and Exodite Eldar who feth yes, ride big dinosaurs. Each legion is closing in on a magical stone of sorts that is important to the Exodites. Two Salamander legions make their assault in the jungle and almost manage it before the forest comes alive and ensnares them. Vulkan saves the day by jumping from his dropship from really high onto the stone and smashing it with his hammer. The Eldar scatter and local humans appear from hiding places, weeping and terrified. Thinking nothing of it Vulkan holds a conference call with his two brothers, who both bicker and go on about how this world should burn. Vulkan says nein, because the world has people and valuable resources. A bit later Vulkan is told that a scouting group that was sent out to find the magical stone has been found. All dead save for a remembrancer who somehow managed to survive. He's awfully rude in his lack of respect and treats the primarch like an equal, not some godlike guy. He tells Vulkan about an even bigger magical stone shaped like a gate and a massive army massing around it. He also makes some remarks about what Vulkan is going to do with the locals once they are done.

There is something about that remembrancer that's off as he seems to know things that only Vulkan saw just moments before..

Oh well, Vulkan calls in the help of Ferrus and both legions mass for the final battle.

Interspersed in between are flashbacks to Nocturne where Vulkan learns about his past from his adoptive father, where he fights off the Dark Eldar slavers and becomes a hero and finally, meets the Outlander, who is really the Emperor in disguise. We also get a look at the part of Salamanders legend where the Emperor saves Vulkan by tossing his salamander hide into the lava to save Vulkan from falling to his death. During the last flashback the Emperor tells Vulkan that each of his sons have their own gift, his being compassion and that the Emperor would be there when he needed him the most.

Both legions assault the Eldar, have a bit of an argument about saving human lives versus just fighting the war. A final boss appears in form of a Farseer riding a massive pteradon that the brother Primarchs decide to pummel to death with their hammers. A pretty good fight really. With the battle over Vulkan sees the remembrancer at the portal and watches him vanish into a hidden passage way. Vulkan gives chase and discovers a coven of humans who worship a tortured Dark Eldar Wych, the very same that Vulkan saw back when he was a "lad" back on Nocturne. He comes to realize that the humans of this world are corrupt, as they see the Imperials as invaders and the Exodites as their saviours, so he orders the world burned to ashes.

He demands that the remembrancer of earlier be brought before him, only nobody knows what he is talking about! Was it just a dream? NO! The remembrancer it turns out, was the Emperor.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:01 pm
From your synopsis I guessed what was going to happen at the end there.. Oh boy.  

Sir Kyle Aziz

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:01 am
It was a bit of a letdown. Sure there was a message in there for Vulkan but to ask thirty quid for it, what a rip off! It's a good thing this world is full of suckers otherwise it would never work. xp  
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:16 am
As blunt as always, but yes, it is perhaps a bit overpriced, especially for content given. But then again the outline always was that while the story should contain some new "secrets" or unveils, it should not have an impact on the main line of novels.

I still like the author though, he does good Salamanders stuff, here's hoping his official novel entry to the Horus Heresy time line will rock, Salamanders need some proper 30K loving.

I may be a sucker, but I'd like to see the others say "NO" to the other upcoming novellas, penned by: Dan Abnett, Graham McNeill and Aaron Dembski-Bowden. Can I have a ******** yes?  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:11 am
I guess we can sit out those two years and wait for a slightly less overpriced softback novella. sweatdrop  
Review Corner

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games