xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:38 pm
I'm curious.
I'm sure everyone has a story to tell.
I discovered Star Trek two years ago, when I was watching in on Space and was curious about it.
Since then I've been hooked.
x3  
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:23 pm
I grew up small, with family watching the original series. We saw the movies when they came out, too. When NextGen came out, like Patrick Stewart, I didn't think it was going to work, but the writers submitted better stories, and the rest, as they say, is history.  

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Team Jacob 100

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:26 pm
Ah that's great.
My family never bothered to introduce it to me. They didn't think I would like it. >.>  
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:05 am
For me, it's actually kinda personal. Of course, I wear my heart on my sleeve ANYWAY. My mother was a drug addict and Alcoholic. My father was a good man who was often pushed to the breaking point, and under the circumstances became not so good. But see, the things I remember, and remember fondly, are days when my Dad was at home, trying to keep us from losing our minds like he did....

Many nights he showed us movie, or told us stories, or listen to folk music. And he was a Star Trek Fan. Not a huge one. He sees the movies when they come out, and watching the shows when he can. Not really enough to even buy the DVDs.

I remember he pulled us out of school sometimes, when Mom disappeared, mostly to keep us calmish. There was one night in particular where when I was seven years old, and the episode "Imaginary Friend" was on Next Generation. for some reason, sitting there with my Dad and watching that episode, and the time we watched part of a New Year's Day marathon, stick out as some of the good times. And we had lots of those.

So, pretty much everything goes back to my Dad. He's the one who raised me, taught me right from wrong, and incidentally, introduced me to Star Trek. I think it was a couple years later when I really started getting into it, when he rented "Generations". As an adult, I like the movie a lot better than most people seem to, but I recognize the flaws. As a nine year old, it was probably the most amazing thing in the world. I remember coming home from church, hearing the music playing, and demanding that he rewind it and start it over. The music kinda triggered something there, I don't know.

I've seen every theatrical Star Trek film since, except Insurrection, with my Dad.  

Matt Pniewski

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:57 pm
Aww! biggrin
Your story is very touching and inspirational.
My parents were also into Trek but only when they were kids.
My mother hated it at first, and she only watched it because it was the only thing on at the time. Eventually she learned to like it.
My Dad liked it on his own I guess.
My maternal grandfather would watch it a lot too.
I guess that's where I get my tastes in television shows. xD  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Simple enough. Star Trek and Superman being watched in my home are the only two good things that ever came from my dad.  

Curtis25

platsdevil

Shy Giver

9,125 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:23 am
My mom got me into TOS and DS9, but I'm proud of the fact that I got her into Voyager. My Star Trekkiness definitely comes from my mother. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:09 pm
Curtis25
Simple enough. Star Trek and Superman being watched in my home are the only two good things that ever came from my dad.

Somebody who watches Star Trek and Superman who turns out to be an a** clearly wasn't paying attention.  

Matt Pniewski

USS_Galactica

Benevolent Duck

15,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:59 pm
I was pretty much born a Trekkie. Both of my parents are Trekkies, my grandfathers on both sides of the family watched Original Star Trek.

So much of the TV I watched growing up was Star Trek on tapes and eventually Voyager and Enterprise as they were airing.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:55 pm
When TNG was on the air, my family and I would watch it on occasion, my dad's a closet scifi geek. I was a little kid who didn't really know what was going on in the show but I thought all the weird makeup and special effects were nifty. I grew up more of a Star Wars fan, but I still went with my dad to to Star Trek movies when they came out in theaters.

I didn't really get into Star Trek until I started dating my husband. He has all the series on dvd. So when we started watching them all in order was the time I got hooked.  

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

filigree hummingbird

Sparkly Prophet

9,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:59 pm
my mom is a huge star trek fan. you know how most parents have their babies in the womb listen to mozart and stuff? well mine had me listen to Next Generation and Perry Mason. anywho when you have someone in your family who is super excited about something its hard not to get excited too. i'm still more of a kirk fan though  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:43 pm
It was around sophomore year of high school. I had led a pretty sheltered life before starting high school so i didnt know about a lot of stuff out there. I did, however, know about X-men and I was a huge fan of the movies. anyway, so my friend in chinese class starts asking me if i like star trek. I'm like what the hell is that? So the next day she brings season one of the original series.

to be honest I didnt like it. I couldn't get past the graphics (I do like it now though). So i gave it back to her. she told me not to judge it yet and give it another chance. I wasn't going to but then she mentioned that Patrick Stewart was in one of the series. As soon as i heard that I was all " well why didn't you give me that one to begin with?!" so she lets me borrow First Contact. And now I am hooked.

Its all thanks to my friend and Patrick Stewart who is Friggen awesome!

(sorry if my story is too long)

Meganebu

Gearhead

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:07 pm
@SpiritOfTheLunarWolf:
Ah yes, I love Patrick Stewart. His work in TNG was just great, and his guest appearances on Sesame Street are adorable.
biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:20 am
My dad was a fan of TOS, though a lot like Matt's dad not enough to buy them. At least until Generations came out and that was because I asked for it. Anyways to rewind to where my fandom began.

I had to have been like 10 when I started liking it. Before that I didn't care for it. I wanted to watch cartoons, I think it was The Simpsons or something and would pout when during the commercials when my dad changed it to TNG, because I didn't want to risk missing any of my show. But over time I got used to it. The first episode I remember watching and liking it was "Chain of Command". From then I was hooked. Now some might say I'm obsessed with Star Trek. TNG turned out to become my favorite series, probably mostly for nostalgia.

Parents bought me the novels in my teenage years as payment for babysitting my siblings. In High School during the later DS9 years, one of my teachers and I both watched DS9. Each week when we saw each other after the weekend we discuss that weekend's episode. About a couple years later I joined the local fan club and the rest is history.

First Contact was the first of the movies I saw in theater, granted it was the $1.50 theater. But from Insurrection on, I saw the rest on opening day. With the exception of Nemesis & Into Darkness. Nemesis, my local fan club decorated the theater to promote the movie and the Manager invited us to view the test run of the film with the employees at midnight 2 days before it came out and I went to that. Into Darkness I bought sneak peek tickets to it for 2 days in advance, but since they bumped up the release date by a day it was 1 day in advance.  

JohnBarnes

Loki Iago

Anxious Scamp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:50 pm
It was on the sci-fi channel around the same time I'd get done with homework and my dad loved it so we'd watch it together (TOS, I mean). I was original series all the way for years until I finally watched TNG (after my fiancĂ© practically forced me to, ha!) and now I'm in love with that series too!  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games