Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Imbolc as a bastardized Pop-pagan Holiday Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:59 am
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
I'm painfully aware of what an anomaly I am.

This isn't a bad thing.

Well... usually. I tend to disagree with I see a seven point buck charging me. But that's just a matter of personal opinion. pirate  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:41 am
TheDisreputableDog
Speaking of Bealtaine and Imbolg, could you maybe provide the correct spellings or names for the other holidays? I've kind of picked up that the way you see them spelled most places is modernized/anglicized, but I have no Gaelic whatsoever.

The first thing I'm going to say is that Gaelic is not a language. It's a sport.

Gaeilge is the word for the Irish language (known as Irish) and Scots-Gaelic is a language. It's considered offensive to use the term Gaelic, I'm not angry offended or anything, just making something known.

That aside:
Imbolg or Imbolc,
Pronounced Im-bull-uhg (the u is exceptionally short, most Gallachai can't say it so Im bullg will do well enough)

Bealtaine or Beltine (depending on which part of the country you're from, and I can't remember the Kerry Irish for it)
Bealtaine is pronounced B-yal-tuh-na
Beltine is pronounce bel-tin-na

Samhain
Pronounced Sow win

Lughnasadh
pronounced Loo na sa

Anyone here who speaks Irish, I'm really really sorry, but I can't do better than that at the moment. When I get home tomorrow, I'll record myself saying them and upload them to the net and link to them.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:37 pm
reagun ban
The first thing I'm going to say is that Gaelic is not a language. It's a sport.

Gaeilge is the word for the Irish language (known as Irish) and Scots-Gaelic is a language. It's considered offensive to use the term Gaelic, I'm not angry offended or anything, just making something known.
Damn. Sorry. And now I think I'd read that somewhere and it just went out of my head, because it does look familiar. How do you prounounce it? And as a side question, do Irish people consider it offensive if people who are not Irish want to learn the language?

reagun ban
That aside:
Imbolg or Imbolc,
Pronounced Im-bull-uhg (the u is exceptionally short, most Gallachai can't say it so Im bullg will do well enough)
Gallachai?

reagun ban
Bealtaine or Beltine (depending on which part of the country you're from, and I can't remember the Kerry Irish for it)
Bealtaine is pronounced B-yal-tuh-na
Beltine is pronounce bel-tin-na
Wow. Americans really do butcher pronunciation. That's an even worse mutation than French and Japanese.

reagun ban
Samhain
Pronounced Sow win

Lughnasadh
pronounced Loo na sa
Well, at least most people will tell you to pronounce those two that way.

reagun ban
Anyone here who speaks Irish, I'm really really sorry, but I can't do better than that at the moment. When I get home tomorrow, I'll record myself saying them and upload them to the net and link to them.
That would be great.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:25 am
Of an interesting note, the "cross quarter days" have other names in some of the other Recon paths.  

TeaDidikai

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:37 am
TheDisreputableDog
Damn. Sorry.

There is absolutely no need for apologies. I see it written down as Gaelic all the time in foreign lit, but it is offensive.

TheDisreputableDog
How do you prounounce it?

Gaeilge is actually a little harder to pronoucne.
It's kinda like gway il gu but the w is barely pronounced.

TheDisreputableDog
And as a side question, do Irish people consider it offensive if people who are not Irish want to learn the language?

Irish people in general can't speak the language. The Gaeleoiri I know, those who can speak Irish, would have no problem with it.

TheDisreputableDog
Gallachai?

barbarians foreigners. It used to have the same connotations as Gai Jin (spelling) in Japanese but that was hundreds of years ago.

TheDisreputableDog
Wow. Americans really do butcher pronunciation. That's an even worse mutation than French and Japanese.

Yup.

TheDisreputableDog
That would be great.

I haven't been at my mac in days, and I don't know when I will be next, rough week.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff