Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
PCOS - Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

phloid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:46 pm
yeahhhh, wooooo who doesn't love a good physical illness that makes weightloss harder?!
I know I don't!

So guys, I've recently been undergoing tests for the possibility of having PCOS and it's looking pretty darn likely
it's not like life threatening or anything, it's just annoying!
it's common for people who have PCOS to have extra weight on them (especially around the stomach)
and it's known to be especially difficult to lose the weight and keep it off.
That's just great to hear.
at least now I have an excuse for my extra weight!
But I didn't want it to be so hard to lose it!
I already get discouraged easy enough.
And the thing is, it's now become actually really important for me to lose the weight because PCOS is directly affected by whether you're in a health weight range or not.
It's symptoms worsen as you go further away from healthy.
Like before, I knew I had a BMI of a couple points over the "normal"
not in obese, just the overweight.
it wasn't a big deal, I don't feel like I have a LOT to lose, just wanted to slim down.
But now I've been told that if I get down to a healthy weight it could actually help to regulate my periods and keep the other symptoms of PCOS at bay (and, for in the future, regulate my ovulation so I will have a better chance of having babies!)
Apparently though, birth control pill is a common treatment for PCOS and it often helps with losing a bit of weight.
So maybe if I get officially diagnosed and I go on the pill I wont be so impaired by this affecting my ability to lose.

So... phloid's weight loss JUST GOT SERIOUS
(too bad I just got seriously swamped with my last month of school and exams and whatnot... so this could be fun!)

Well anyways, moral of the story is:
I just had a wake up call.
was wondering if anyone around here knew anything about PCOS
or if you guys have any other things that makes it more difficult to lose weight and such not.

Also, if you're interested in learning more about this PCOS
HERE is a link to a really informative little thread about it!
(:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:41 pm
I know a few people who have PCOS.
I feel so bad for them, cramps and other monthly symptoms are twenty times worse for them.
Sometimes they would stay home from school just because they would have due to monstrous cramps and a uncontrollable flow.
Granted they were borderline obese, so your symptoms may not be as bad because your just a little bit over weight, these people were at least 100lbs.+ Overweight.

The hormones in the "pill" should help you out a lot.
If not I can Google some helpful links for you.  

Testicular Diabeetus
Vice Captain

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

phloid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:02 pm
oh yeah, no
my symptoms are really quite mild
thankfully!

and thanks for the offer,
I think I can google anything I wanna know though as it comes up
hehehe C:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:05 pm
For a while I thought I had PCOS because I had some symptoms of it, but in the end it turned out that I didn't. But as a result, I know a decent amount about it and can totally empathize. whee

I remember reading about how drinking mint tea often can help mitigate some of the symptoms of PCOS including weight gain because it helps balance out your hormones or something like that. And I think drinking tea often anyway can help keep people from overeating because it satisfies the craving for flavor in your mouth while being practically calorie-free. And I dunno about you guys, but in my personal opinion, mint tea is the most delicious of all! I'm not sure if it has any actual medical backing in regards to PCOS (I can't believe how little research is done on it.. gonk ) but it couldn't hurt to try.  

__penguin__
Captain

Edochi

Beloved Receiver

8,950 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:11 am
You have to be unafraid of the fall...

=/ Second place revealing my gender in any forums on here. I try to avoid it completely.

But in this case I believe it will be helpful.

I started showing symptoms of PCOS when I was 9 (I was fully developed by the age of 11, haven't grown at all since then, other than gaining some inches).

Birth control is the only known treatments for PCOS. But it will not aid in weight loss. It can--but more often then not you will gain weight. When you talk to your doctor about being put on the pill, you should discuss trying different pills out before sticking with one-- on one pill I gained 40 pounds, and on another pill I lost weight dramatically. Switched again and gained dramatically again.

DIET is very important when you have PCOS. Gaining weight happens a lot easier than it does normally because your body likes to process things differently, and hormones are different. I've had to switch to a vegetarian diet to help keep everything in check (though this is not necessary).

Also, watch diet, because with PCOS, risk for diabetes or other conditions goes up, and all other things can effect your health and well-being.

Things to watch out for:
-Foods with high sugar or starch content (this includes too many fruits and fruit juice, potatoes)
-Carbohydrates (try to stick with wholesome foods and things that fill you up. If it's white, it's not right.)
-Too much meat and dairy (most meat and dairy contains hormones that screw your body up more than the PCOS already does. It's partially why PCOS is becoming more and more common in younger and younger females.)

Those are the main things. I hope I was able to help a little bit, if you didn't already know most of these things.

...in order to keep your balance

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:24 pm
Cinny Sin
You have to be unafraid of the fall...

=/ Second place revealing my gender in any forums on here. I try to avoid it completely.

But in this case I believe it will be helpful.

I started showing symptoms of PCOS when I was 9 (I was fully developed by the age of 11, haven't grown at all since then, other than gaining some inches).

Birth control is the only known treatments for PCOS. But it will not aid in weight loss. It can--but more often then not you will gain weight. When you talk to your doctor about being put on the pill, you should discuss trying different pills out before sticking with one-- on one pill I gained 40 pounds, and on another pill I lost weight dramatically. Switched again and gained dramatically again.

DIET is very important when you have PCOS. Gaining weight happens a lot easier than it does normally because your body likes to process things differently, and hormones are different. I've had to switch to a vegetarian diet to help keep everything in check (though this is not necessary).

Also, watch diet, because with PCOS, risk for diabetes or other conditions goes up, and all other things can effect your health and well-being.

Things to watch out for:
-Foods with high sugar or starch content (this includes too many fruits and fruit juice, potatoes)
-Carbohydrates (try to stick with wholesome foods and things that fill you up. If it's white, it's not right.)
-Too much meat and dairy (most meat and dairy contains hormones that screw your body up more than the PCOS already does. It's partially why PCOS is becoming more and more common in younger and younger females.)

Those are the main things. I hope I was able to help a little bit, if you didn't already know most of these things.

...in order to keep your balance
Although the rest of this knowledge is spot-on, I actually have to disagree with you slightly on birth control being the only known treatment for PCOS. As someone who cannot be on birth control due to getting blood clots while on it (no I'm not a smoker or over 35 or whatever it is) They treat my PCOS with Metformin a diabetic medication which allows the body to control it's insulin intake better, which allows for easier weight loss, which in turn helps relieve symptoms of PCOS. It's actually a common drug given to people with PCOS.  

Defective Candy

Lorelei Yeager

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:01 am
PCOS is very much a big part of my life, even though I take birth control. When I was a teen, I didn't have "regular" periods. Then it got to the point where I wasn't having a period for three years.

I was at huge risk for overian cancer, because the lining in the Uterus wasn't shedding. But now that I take birth control, I get regular periods.

My biggest problem will be when/if I want to have children. I'm going to either have to go through expensive fertility treatments, or adopt.  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games