Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:00 am
Lt. Brookman
How sharp are the details on the recast parts? I've read some complaints about the recasts being fuzzy on this.

To be honest, it's hit and miss. You need to plan how to use it I find, because in pushing it on, it can get misshapen inside the mold.

But if you do get a good mold, the details are pretty wonderful.  
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:19 pm
well I finaly got some pics of how I've been doing with it and yes if your mold is good then the parts come out pretty good like these

The tiled bases for my skaven
User Image
and this is a swiming rat I made by molding the top haft of a giant rat from the doomsheel kit
User Image

as you can see its like he says if the molds good the parts come out pretty sharp  

Drakeoss Dragoon

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:08 am
You've sold me on this one, I've got a ton of Space Wolves and a limited supply of shiny baubles to decorate them with.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:37 pm
Caleidah
Just remember, kiddos, these models aren't technically GW legal.

How's that?

Are you talking 100% cloned models aren't allowed (because it's essentially IP theft or something), or copying a mould is totally against their ethos regardless of how much of it constitutes the whole?  

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:00 pm
A.R.G.U.S Mykal
Caleidah

How's that?

Are you talking 100% cloned models aren't allowed (because it's essentially IP theft or something), or copying a mould is totally against their ethos regardless of how much of it constitutes the whole?

The IP theft bit. A GW Redshirt gave me a rundown on exactly why it's illegal at one point, but I've forgotten it. Just make sure that you throw some paint on a model before you take it anywhere, though, and nobody would be any the wiser.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:25 pm
I guess I'm going to need to make an effort to find things to make molds of so I can show it makes more than pretty baubles razz  

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:36 am
Recasting parts and bits is okay, as long as you don't sell them for personal profit. Besides, if the mold is good and you paint the part up well enough a blue shirt will never find out.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:30 am
Caleidah
A.R.G.U.S Mykal
Caleidah

How's that?

The IP theft bit. A GW Redshirt gave me a rundown on exactly why it's illegal at one point, but I've forgotten it. Just make sure that you throw some paint on a model before you take it anywhere, though, and nobody would be any the wiser.

Is there much difference between copying their sculpts from scratch for a diorama or consistent feel to an army, and moulding a sculpt to save you time?
Only for personal use.  

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:43 pm
Sounds like something the GW IP department could answer for you.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:44 pm
A.R.G.U.S Mykal
Caleidah
A.R.G.U.S Mykal
Caleidah

How's that?

Is there much difference between copying their sculpts from scratch for a diorama or consistent feel to an army, and moulding a sculpt to save you time?
Only for personal use.

No. The only problem is when you try to sell them, if you do.  

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:05 am
The way I see it, if it's greenstuff, they have no way of knowing anyway. Maybe you're just really consistent in your sculpting skills. I don't see GW conducting house raids searching for mini molds for at least another couple years.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:07 pm
Here's a semi-decent example;

Original [converting a Catachan to resemble.. a Lumberjack
User Image

The resultant copy, with a couple of bits added [buttons and made it a bit longer]
User Image

I attempted a two part mold by using a small box, creating one half of the mold and then freezing it for a few hours. The idea being that the extreme cold would prevent it from melting against the second half when I add it.

Sadly, the little box was not big enough to put in the second half, and it turned out wonky..

Here's the mold;
User Image
Thrilling, isn't it?  

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items