Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Has the Term "Wicca" Evolved? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Did the Term "Wicca" Evolve?
  Yes!!
  No Freaking Way!
View Results

Satyr Prince

Tipsy Reveler

6,950 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:42 am
washu_2004
I did a trademark search on the word "Wicca" in the UK & US trademark registries as well as searching for all trade marks held by "Gerald Brousseau Gardner" and I came up with a complete blank.

He did not file any legal claim on this word (or any words) so it is now public domain since the person who coined the term is now dead and can not file a claim and then bequeath them to an organization, and the term has not been claimed by his group since time immemorial according to UK law (before 6 July 1189) so they can not claim an exemption by this method.

So legally nobody owns the word "wicca" or has exclusive rights to its use.
it had nothing to do with legality, it has to do with the truth of it. "greek orthodox" doesnt have a copyright, but it doesnt mean just anyone can call themselves it. well, not at least without getting called on it.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:22 am
Strega Mama
washu_2004
I did a trademark search on the word "Wicca" in the UK & US trademark registries as well as searching for all trade marks held by "Gerald Brousseau Gardner" and I came up with a complete blank.

He did not file any legal claim on this word (or any words) so it is now public domain since the person who coined the term is now dead and can not file a claim and then bequeath them to an organization, and the term has not been claimed by his group since time immemorial according to UK law (before 6 July 1189) so they can not claim an exemption by this method.

it had nothing to do with legality, it has to do with the truth of it. "greek orthodox" doesnt have a copyright, but it doesnt mean just anyone can call themselves it. well, not at least without getting called on it.

The legality issue means that nothing can be legally done to stop them using the word.

And besides most people are mature enough to realize that there is a difference between Gardinarian Wicca and the other varieties of Wicca such as eclectic Wicca, like they are able to tell that Greek orthodox and Russian orthodox are different.  

washu_2004

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:18 am
washu_2004

I think that kind of approach is silly- but even if it is, you'd be looking at a Copyright held by Gardner- 1954, published by Rider and Company.

If you're relying on ignoring what a religion really is- just to feed a sense of "I want it so I'm going to take it, even if I'm wrong." I think you've missed the point, but even if you do go that route- you still loose the race because Gardner held the Copyright to his books which he published the word as the name for a specific religion with specific practices.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:28 am
washu_2004
. well, not at least without getting called on it.

The legality issue means that nothing can be legally done to stop them using the word.

And besides most people are mature enough to realize that there is a difference between Gardinarian Wicca and the other varieties of Wicca such as eclectic Wicca, like they are able to tell that Greek orthodox and Russian orthodox are different.
I think you're missing something.

The Greek Orthodox and Russian Orthodox churches are national churches under the same religious authority- like Alexandrian Wicca, Gardnerian Wicca and Kingstone- they share the same lineage and stuff.

If someone who didn't follow the requirements for becoming a member of the Eastern Church- and instead taught that that Hermes incarnated as Jesus to convert the Jews to Roman Paganism and called themselves the Greek Orthodox Church- they're as incorrect as Eclectics calling themselves Wiccan.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

washu_2004

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:09 am
Perhaps it is time to recruit these seekers and teach them what they are obviously so desperate to find rather than sit back and mock their ignorance.

Most churches would give their eye teeth for this many potential converts.

And the only cure for ignorance is education.

Don't look at is as a problem that you have seekers with the wrong ideas, look at it as a gift of seekers who are looking for the right ideas and your world will get a whole lot better.

Edit - Formatting went weird so I ditched the quote pyramid.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:14 am
washu_2004
Perhaps it is time to recruit these seekers and teach them what they are obviously so desperate to find rather than sit back and mock their ignorance.
I am a Seeker. I did leg work- contacted different lineaged covens, talked with HPs and HPS'. I read books by people who are Wiccan and talked with people online. Wicca doesn't go out of it's way- lots of people are interested in Wicca, but they're not always a good fit for the religion, or a specific coven. Covens have a dynamic all their own- and the High Priest and High Priestess need to protect the craft and those they serve with.

Quote:
Most churches would give their eye teeth for this many potential converts.
Wicca isn't about a numbers game though- it's about serving the Lord and Lady. A ton of people illsuited to working with a specific group or worse, who aren't able to serve the Lord and Lady don't do the religion any favors.

Quote:
And the only cure for ignorance is education.

Don't look at is as a problem that you have seekers with the wrong ideas, look at it as a gift of seekers who are looking for the right ideas and your world will get a whole lot better.

Oh- we do educate, but problems come in 2 forms when it comes to this stuff- the massive amount of misinformation that was spread by people looking to make a quick buck and the unwillingness for people who aren't really called to Wicca to actually put in the work to understand their own path.

Like I said- I'm a seeker. I'm currently working with a Gard coven- if it turns out Wicca isn't what has me searching, I'll keep looking and be ok with not calling myself Wiccan.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers