Submit

Sissy Fairy

6,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:20 pm
Evening.

Sorry its been so long since I've last posted, but I've had a s**t connection with my internet, and I've been extremely busy so its one or the other. Anyway, the Saturday just gone, I was at Warhammer World Nottingham for Black Library Live 2011 and one of the books I've picked up was Fall of Damnos written by Nick Kyme. The fifth book in the Space Marine Battle series (I went to pick up Battle of the Fang but that sold out two hours after doors were open) Anyway, on with the review.

---

Getting through the Synopsis, both Captain Sicarius and Librarian Tigurius leading the Second Company against the Necrons that have emerged on the planet Damnos. The focus isn't on the two named characters, but it is split between Three sergeants, and numerous conscripts of the local Imperial Guard.

On to the story...

Nick Kyme has created a well imagined battle against the Necrons, and to his credit, he has created a number of three dimensional characters, and (in my own opinion) they are better than what Graham Mcneill created in his series. Even the Necrons have a personality. Nick Kyme has injected speech, memories, ambitions (other than to wipe out all life on the planet) within each key character of the Necron Army.

The battles come thick and fierce through out the pages. And there is never a lull in tension written in the pages. The Ultramarines, like some Space Marines portrayed in literature, these are all humbled by the actions of the Conscripts that have been fighting in the Imperial Guard on Damnos.

Its very rare that I'd say one book is the best in the series, and then later on say the exact same thing with the next book, but after reading Fall of Damnos, its a strong contender for best book in the Space Marines Battle series. It will be interesting to see how Battle of the Fang compares (Spoiler alert: it will not be the 41st millenium like the others)

Rating: **** stars.

READ IT WHEN YOU GET THE CHANCE  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:07 am
Nick Kyme is something of a rising star within BL, his Salamanders series so far is most entertaining, so this one is to look out for.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Sissy Fairy

6,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:37 am
Definitely so, he's announced at Games Day UK this year, the final part in the Salamanders Chapter will be released. Nocturne goes on pre-release in September, official release in November.  
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:31 pm
I'm sadly still struggling to get through this one, I'd rather see Nick write about green marines instead of blue ones. sweatdrop  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Marc Gosgosh

Supportive Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:44 pm
To be honest, The Fall of Damnos was my first 40k novel. Got me hooked straight up.
I dont know whether the english version is better; I just read the german version. I guess the novels are twice as good on the language they were originally written in. (But it's hard to get english WH 40k novels in Germany except using the internet)  
Review Corner

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games