Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
lice

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

options...
  just use the shampoo
  leave em
  other (please comment)
View Results

here-comes-datte-boyo

Dedicated Punching Bag

12,925 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:42 pm
i have them
as a true anti-speciesist I don't know how to rid of them...
and no lice treatment isn't animal tested  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:07 pm
Lice Be Gone Warrior Formula Shampoo by Lavaggio
Purified Water, 95% infusion of rosemary leaf, lavender flowers, thyme, sage, aloe vera, essential oils (proprietary blend), potassium cocoate soap, sodium olefin sulfinate, and preservatives - 1% by volume.

Thera-Neem Head Lice Shampoo
Neem oil & Neem leaf extract, chamomile, arnica, pine, basil and cherry bark. Paraben free, sulphate free, gluten free, cruelty free, pH balanced, vegan formula.

I've never had lice myself but I found those two on a website discussing Cruelty Free shampoo's.  

Painful Passion

Beloved Shapeshifter

6,350 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150

here-comes-datte-boyo

Dedicated Punching Bag

12,925 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:29 pm
but its not cruelty free cause you're killing lice... they have feeling too... sad but so does my scalp...  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:37 am
Ah well you just have to hold back ethical reasons on the lice. But if you cannot then just deal with the lice I guess.  

Painful Passion

Beloved Shapeshifter

6,350 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150

here-comes-datte-boyo

Dedicated Punching Bag

12,925 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:12 am
its been a year, my scalp is so raw... ugh.... oh well  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:31 pm
My family are Vietnamese and luckily, one of my parents were in Vietnam at the time I had lice. They brought home a comb especially for removing them. Look into it. :] ♥ Best of luck.  

DarkWitchofDream

Nadira

5,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:05 am
Jump into a chlorinated pool without a swim cap. Spend hours in the chlorine. It might do the trick.

So, I am curious. If you get a virus or a bacterial infection, would you take the medication or the anti-biotics to kill the virus/infection. Or do you use the "it's alive" and so therefore I can't kill it theme?

I'm considered a vegetarian, who rarely consumes milk or eggs. But if I got lice, I would do whatever I can to get rid of them. Sure, I would look for products without animals in them to do the trick, but I wouldn't feel bad for their "little lives". Just the same for the slew of insects that I catch crawling around my room. I may "save" spiders from their flushed fate, but not for cockroaches, mosquitoes, and creepy crawler assortment that I seem to find...

I guess I have a hard time understanding where a person who considers themselves vegan can draw the line. If they are in a car accident, would they take a blood transfusion? How about a transplant (heart, lung, kidney, etc...)?

So when you say that you won't kill lice, something like that makes me wonder. What would you kill?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:38 pm
Put a couple of drops of tea tree oil in your shampoo. Lice hate the smell and it is great for your scalp.

Edit: Of course this will not get rid of them but it may deter a few of them. You really need to kill ALL of them and remove them all as well as all the eggs with a special metal lice comb or you will have another infestation within a week.
Tea tree oil is more a preventative measure.  

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:19 pm
I am as curious as Nadira as to how far you take this anti-speciesism.
I am assuming you would take anti-biotics if absolutely necessary and I doubt blood transfusions or organ transplants would be a problem as they are donated willingly from other humans but I do wonder about other day to day killing of bacteria etc.
Do you wash with soap or other bacteria killing products such as those containing lavender?
Does it bother you that your system kills many microorganisms daily?
Have you ever eaten garlic or other anti-bacterial foods?
Have you ever washed your dishes in hot soapy water or cleaned your bathroom, mopped the floor etc.?
Personally I like to respect all species and prefer to deter or remove all but the most poisonous bugs but I have no qualms with killing when it comes to my own health and safety or that of those around me just as I would protect myself or others if a human attacked.  
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:21 am
You could try putting conditioner in your hair and brushing them out with those lice combs. You'll just have to keep doing it every few days til you get them all.  

Roxy Scissors

Anxious Genius

4,250 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items