Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Down the Rabbit Hole~ An Alice in Wonderland guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is for anyone who loves anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, be it the movies, books, or spinoffs. 

Tags: alice, wonderland, mad hatter, rabbit, hearts 

Reply The Crystal Continuum (The Looking Glass Wars and Other Adaptations)
Alice in Wonderland Blu-ray Review

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Azure Caterpillar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:14 am
I got the Blu-ray 60th anniversary edition of Alice in Wonderland yesterday. And actually watched the Blu-ray disc instead of the DVD disc like I often do. [I used my PS3 as the Blu-ray player].

Oh... my... I was instantly impressed with this. First of all this is the first time I've properly watched a Blu-ray disc and I was amazed at the quality. Even the menu screen for this movie was really fun! Its the best menu screen I've seen yet! Hehehe.

I watched the movie of course and the difference between the old DVD release and this new one is instantly apparent; the colours are so rich and bright; it really shows how amazingly animated this movie is. Of course Disney's Alice in Wonderland is meant to be a very colourful film anyway; its almost like THIS is the movie for Blu-ray.

Also the audio quality is amazing too! I was noticing background sounds and music I hadn't noticed before on other releases of the movie.

It makes the film look like it was drawn yesterday; its honestly very impressive. Disney are very good at remastering their movies for Blu-ray.

And what about special features? Well this is not a Diamond Edition so it doesn't have as many; but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a lot! It has all the special features from the DVD releases and some extras specific to Blu-ray. I haven't watched everything but from what I have watched it does not disappoint. I really love the newly done documentery on the disc [which was also on the Unanniversary Edition; which I don't have because it never came over to the UK] and the deleted songs are really cute.

I'll update this once I watch the 'Through the Keyhole' special feature which I believe is a commentary over the movie but also much much more.

The boxart is very nice too; it differs between the DVD-like box and the Blu-ray-like box. I have the Blu-ray version and the front has some very nice artwork of Alice, the White Rabbit, the Doorknob, the Cheshire Cat, The Queen of Hearts, a Flamingo, the Mad Hatter, the March Hare and the Caterpillar. In the background is the maze.

And of course the movie itself will always remain a classic; even if it was not well recieved originally. This movie IS different from the others; its not heart warming or moralistic. Its surreal; odd and it was before its time. The movie came out in 1951; but it was the 60s and 70s where it came to the attention of many.

Its imagination.

And for someone who's read and loves the original books; I find this movie my favourite adaptation. Its not accurate; but no adapatation is. But the whole feel of the movie is Wonderland; nonsensical and brilliant.

My verdict on this Blu-ray?

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:20 pm
Oh Azure, you're like the Wonderlandian equivalent of a fashionista; you're always so on top of things. XD

It sounds amazing, though I have to admit I'm really curious about what would be included in commentary for the movie; oh, and hooray for deleted songs. x3

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:54 pm
It sounds amazing, its a shame I have no Blu-Ray Player to watch it . I can't wait to hear what other extras they included with this Blu-Ray version  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:40 am
@Marchy: I am? Hmmm. Yeah I haven't watched it yet; I need to get around to that.

@Kahlan: Yeah Blu-ray is amazing; but the players are so expensive. That's why I'm using my PS3. ^_^;  

Azure Caterpillar

The Crystal Continuum (The Looking Glass Wars and Other Adaptations)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games