Welcome to Gaia! ::

Street Art Guild

Back to Guilds

Whether you do graffiti, paste ups, stickers, stencils or even just art inspired by them, this is the place to hang out 

Tags: graffiti, sticker, stencil, paste, design 

Reply Resources, Guides, and Tutorials
Cheap Markers

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pastel Pimp

4,300 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:29 pm
Here's something I wish I realized a long time ago.

I've bought a few markers, mops and things like that for graffiti before, but they all wore out pretty quickly and cost to much to replace often. Plus, buying the ink just makes it more costly, which can be way to much if you bearly have any money. Like me.

But today when I was at a dollar store I noticed some very cheap bingo markers. I never really thought to look at a bingo marker before, but when I looked I realized that they're the exact same thing as the markers sold for tagging. They even use the same nibs. All you have to do is take off the nib, replace the bingo ink with real ink, put the end back on and you have a fifty cent marker that works exactly like the $5.00 ones.

So far the only down side I've found is that they don't squeeze as easy. But they hold just as much ink, and they preform great for something so cheap. Plus, you can get them almost anywhere, and depending on where you live markers for graffiti can be very hard to get. And the words "BINGO!" on the side makes you look way more innocent while you're carrying it around. Not all bingo markers are the same, but if you can find the same kind I found, I hope it saves you some money.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:06 am
http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=§ion=&global=1&q=Graffiti+marker#/dzcyn5

Someone made a step by step. Haven't done it yet but it looks promising.  

Damon Zane

2,400 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Pastel Pimp

4,300 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:51 am
That one looks like it'd work pretty well too.

I wish I knew about that before I spent a bunch of money on some markers. So far the things converted to a marker are working better then the ones made to do it.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:43 pm
Never thought about that. Living in Vegas, those things are easy to come by. I have friends that have them just lying around the house. I should try this.  

helloxcthulhu

O.G. Bloodsucker

8,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100

Pastel Pimp

4,300 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:18 pm
Wow, I wish there were some just lying all over the place here.

Another good thing to do if you need cheap ink for the cheap marker is to buy liquid India Ink. It's sold usually for fountain pens, so it's very cheap and just as strong as graffiti ink. Actually, most of the inks I've found are almost the exact same things as each other. It just costs more if you buy it when it's targeting graffiti writers and not calligraphy writers.

Recently I got a bottle of it that had over 980ml in it for $13, but for plain black graffiti ink it was $19 for 250ml. Some ink made for graffiti is better then just plain india ink, but if you're looking for something that's just black and very permanent then it's a really good idea.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:33 pm
I get 250ml bottles of indian ink for $5 (about $2.80 US).

I've heard rumours that indian ink doesn't mark very well. But if you guys aren't having any trouble with it..  

izak1399
Captain

5,400 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Megathread 100
  • Flatterer 200

Pastel Pimp

4,300 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:49 pm
izak1399

I've heard rumours that indian ink doesn't mark very well. But if you guys aren't having any trouble with it..

I've had some trouble with it. But some brands have worked better then others. And sometimes it just depends on the surface you use it on.

I've always used it when I make stickers. Which can be much more annoying then using markers. But every marker I've used on a sticker has faded. And the ink's never had any problems with that. Plus I just like how it looks.

In the markers I've had problems with it. But there's a certain brand of it that I've never had any problems with. I don't know what they do to it to make it different, but it works.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:29 pm
haha lucky me around here no one buys markers but me so the lady at micheals cuts me a deal all the $5 markers 4 $2 and the $3 for $1  

street ninja ham

5,000 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200

Pastel Pimp

4,300 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:12 pm
chingyblingy
haha lucky me around here no one buys markers but me so the lady at micheals cuts me a deal all the $5 markers 4 $2 and the $3 for $1

That's a good deal. What kind of markers are they?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:48 pm
deco opague haha but theyre old and dusty lol and i buy like 20 30 at a time haha  

street ninja ham

5,000 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200

izak1399
Captain

5,400 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Megathread 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:13 am
Caffeinated_Meow
izak1399

I've had some trouble with it. But some brands have worked better then others. And sometimes it just depends on the surface you use it on.

I've always used it when I make stickers. Which can be much more annoying then using markers. But every marker I've used on a sticker has faded. And the ink's never had any problems with that. Plus I just like how it looks.

In the markers I've had problems with it. But there's a certain brand of it that I've never had any problems with. I don't know what they do to it to make it different, but it works.

Oh yeah, the indian ink I buy works awesomely on my stickers. I keep loosing my tiny brushes though. Ha ha.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:30 am
Woodcraft/Posterman markers are always a good, cheap choice.
Also, I dunno about the brand, but there's gold and silver paint markers available at the dollar stores around here, and a variety of places as far as I'm concerned. And then kiwi mops, ofcourse (Although they suck nuts if they're not almost full, and get all streaky). Also, terracotta or deco-art markers with a split nib work okay. And for on cement, any kind of pastel.

Those are all things that are just easy to get ahold of, the only one that's not REALLY cheap on that list is woodcraft/posterman, which are like $10/$15 depending where you get them.

As for suggestions in general? Junobo mops, Smash Ink (In any mop), Molotow Burner, Flowpen, Sakura Gold and Silver markers (split the nib),

AND BECAUSE SOMEONE BROUGHT UP CONTAINERS FOR MOPS:
-Roll on deodorant sticks
-sour-spray candy containers (Not jokin. Used it, it was dope as hell. They use the same shitty spray system that can be popped out and you can stick in some felt. Also, the yummy sour spray stuff is bomb).
-Denture paste container (I can't remember the brand but it worked REALLY well for squeezing, and concealing, as it was wide and flat, like a flask. I'll try and recall)
-Pretty much any shitty markers with a removable nib and/or pump system that you can shove better ink and nib into it.
-Chapstick/gluestick for small markers.

I've either had or used all of the forementioned things, and I generally liked it all. Then again, I've never been picky with markers. Give me a posterman and a dollorama gold and I'm set. I've never cared about how un-buffable something is. If someone's gonna buff it, they're gonna buff it.
Just hit hard and don't make sure you've got 99 more tags for every 1 that's destroyed.

Hope this s**t was useful.  

SADERR
Crew

SOEP ONE
Crew

The Committee Staff Member

6,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Committee Staff 25
  • nuGen Staff 25
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:06 am
rack rack rack it all