Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:59 am
Lord Maxdom
There does come a price with reading so many different bible versions though, I can't quote anything from memory due to how many I've read. Somewhere around a hundred different versions. So many differences, as small as each difference is. Trying to remember a single line to quote even is considerably difficult if you remember too many at once and can't recall which version the line comes from. So I wouldn't advise it if you wish to memorize quotes.

I have that exact same problem, though I read from an ESV version. I use Blue Letter Bible a lot to look stuff up and compare, and even the comparing of the translations there has me questioning if I'm quoting/remembering right. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:22 am
Fushigi na Butterfly
Lord Maxdom
There does come a price with reading so many different bible versions though, I can't quote anything from memory due to how many I've read. Somewhere around a hundred different versions. So many differences, as small as each difference is. Trying to remember a single line to quote even is considerably difficult if you remember too many at once and can't recall which version the line comes from. So I wouldn't advise it if you wish to memorize quotes.

I have that exact same problem, though I read from an ESV version. I use Blue Letter Bible a lot to look stuff up and compare, and, and even the comparing of the translations there has me questioning if I'm quoting/remembering right. sweatdrop

I'm one of those douchebags who doesn't ever quote from the Bible I just say, "Jesus says" or "Paul says" which people hate because they can't refute it xD I honestly have a really hard remembering chapter and verse because I didn't grow up reading the Bible, so it's hard for me to remember what happens where. But I can usually remember the context it's in, so that's something I guess xD  

freelance lover
Crew

Lord Maxdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:36 am
For the most part anyways a person will only remember specific quote unless you are actually a priest which requires you to specifically find one version to read from and memorize. Usually a person remembers quotes that really take hold with them, or merely ones that are easy to recognize. So I wouldn't say it is because you didn't read it as a child, more so it's because unless you are really into quoting, you wouldn't remember it anyways. I personally find it easier to just talk about areas of the bible generally rather than about specific parts. It's easier on the brain.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:55 am
I use the New Living Translation.
It is easy for me to understand.

Right now I am reading the One Year Bible and it is in the NLT format.

I deeply enjoy it.
I also like the kids Bibles. XD
I still have mine from when I was a child. =)  

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

8Ares8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:21 pm
I have a fire bible ^_^ student edition
http://youth.ag.org/fire/firebible/  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:07 pm
User Image

All of the Bibles I have are NIV, though to be honest I don't fully know what that means sweatdrop My Dad has a bunch of different versions, though

The Original Jbird

5,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150

x C u r l y Q x

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:48 pm
    NKJV. I think it's easy to understand and it's a Bible given to me from my mom.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:38 pm
I have been on that search for many years, to try to find the best translation of the Bible. And even wanted to learn Hebrew and Greek so that I could read the original texts, if I could find copies. The different versions that I've read all have small parts that are just different enough to make a difference. Or are missing key elements or verses. Sometimes whole sections. The Volgate translation apparently was completely violated, and the KJV is missing the entire Apocrypha that it was originally written with was taken out.

"Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you"
Deuteronomy 4:2

After a lot of prayer, wild goose chases, and frustration, there's one thing that I've learned - it doesn't matter in the end. Those are all word on a page. Unless we read with the discernment of the Holy Spirit, it's ink and paper.

"Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life."
2 Corinthians 3:6

When I read the different translations before, I was more often confused than not. When I read now, it doesn't matter which translation I read, they all look the same to me. The lesson is in the heart.

"The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple."
Psalms 19:7

So, He's not going to let us screw it up too much. Otherwise, the Holy Bible wouldn't still be as popular as it has been for over 2000 years.
There are several that are supposed to be rather good. I've hear that there are several good ones, and I've found some online that aren't too bad. I still read the KJV that I was given at my baptism many years ago.

Thank you.
God bless you all.

Anon. Mosh  

Anonymous Mosh

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out