Submit

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:20 pm
Alright, so, devotionals. Do you use them? Have you used them? Which one/ones do you follow, and if so, for what purpose? I know some people use them as supplemental study/focus for their quiet time with God, others use them on their own, or as a starting point for studying some passage in the Bible. I have a few that I've collected over the years -- I think I've only ever followed one all the way through. Now, they kind of just sit on my shelf with the rest of my books, and I've been feeling slightly inspire lately to maybe pick one up and read through it? But I'm not sure.

Anyway, I thought it would be something nice/new to discuss. Have at it. smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:19 pm
`Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou,' I said, `art sure no craven.
Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the nightly shore -

I have a pretty stupid quesiton: What is a devotional exactly?

Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night's Plutonian shore!'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Ravynne Sidhe

8,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:27 pm
Haha, not a stupid question at all. smile They're books that are put together, generally arranged so that one can go through them in a year (one page/entry per day), and each entry is centered around a particular verse. The devotional will then have some insight/explanation around that verse that helps to center your thoughts/study. There are some that are pretty general, some that are geared more towards women or men, some more towards couples, some that focus on different aspects of Jesus' suffering (to bring focus to why there's suffering in the world, etc.), some that focus more on the Epistles, some that deal with verses applicable to addiction, and so on and so forth. There are a lot of really good ones out there. I think I have one for women, one that's pretty general, and one for teens that I got in high school.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:33 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Haha, not a stupid question at all. smile They're books that are put together, generally arranged so that one can go through them in a year (one page/entry per day), and each entry is centered around a particular verse. The devotional will then have some insight/explanation around that verse that helps to center your thoughts/study. There are some that are pretty general, some that are geared more towards women or men, some more towards couples, some that focus on different aspects of Jesus' suffering (to bring focus to why there's suffering in the world, etc.), some that focus more on the Epistles, some that deal with verses applicable to addiction, and so on and so forth. There are a lot of really good ones out there. I think I have one for women, one that's pretty general, and one for teens that I got in high school.

Is it like the Chicken Soup for the soul books? o.O

Ravynne Sidhe

8,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:23 pm
No. Not really, no. sweatdrop They're usually things you can read in about 1 to 5 minutes, depending on the focus and purpose of the devotional. The format usually looks something like this:

Date/Day of the week
Bible verse

A few paragraphs about how this verse or set of verses can be applied to your life today and everyday, sometimes ending with a quick prayer for meditation.

I'm not sure if you were around back when we did the monthly newsletters, but they're archived, so you can even take a look to see for yourself what I'm referencing, but devotionals are set up something like the way we did the "Word from the Crew" section of our newsletters. Each month we'd pick a different verse to focus on, and in the newsletter, a crew member would talk about that verse, its significance, how we could apply it to our lives, and then anything extra they wanted to add about it. Usually very short and quick, and could be read in less than three minutes. 3nodding

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:41 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
No. Not really, no. sweatdrop They're usually things you can read in about 1 to 5 minutes, depending on the focus and purpose of the devotional. The format usually looks something like this:

Date/Day of the week
Bible verse

A few paragraphs about how this verse or set of verses can be applied to your life today and everyday, sometimes ending with a quick prayer for meditation.

I'm not sure if you were around back when we did the monthly newsletters, but they're archived, so you can even take a look to see for yourself what I'm referencing, but devotionals are set up something like the way we did the "Word from the Crew" section of our newsletters. Each month we'd pick a different verse to focus on, and in the newsletter, a crew member would talk about that verse, its significance, how we could apply it to our lives, and then anything extra they wanted to add about it. Usually very short and quick, and could be read in less than three minutes. 3nodding

Ohhh I remember those...lol.

I'm special.

Ravynne Sidhe

8,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:14 am
Pardon my ignoracne, but what are devotionals? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:32 am
Shadows-shine

*whispers* Scroll up, dear. wink  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:45 pm
The Amazing Ryuu
Shadows-shine

*whispers* Scroll up, dear. wink

Ah, okay. sweatdrop I missed that explanation!  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:15 pm
I've never used devotionals alone. I think most of the reason is that as far back as I can remember, I've always had a really experienced Sunday school teacher. None of them ever shied away from our questions, and when I got to about 7th grade, we started picking a book of the Bible and going through chapter and verse. So, from the "age of reason" I've ALWAYS had a good education about my holy book, and the devotionals were things I already knew, had already meditated on, or presented the topics in a way that wasn't giving me enough. The only time I DID use a devotional was at a Bible study, and I was usually the one running them.

I think they're good tools, especially for someone not that far along in their faith. It helps to center your thoughts on a topic or two. But it's hard to find a devotional that caters to those of us who have not only been on the walk a long time, but find ourselves deep into faith, and educated enough to continue on even without an immediate mentor.  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff