Submit

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:04 pm
Yea, I found the Black Reach Dreadnought on ebay for £13 and grabbed it, new on the sprue, figured it'd not hurt compared to £25+ for the proper box set.

I figured I could make it look.. Nice.
I believe I went a bit further.

A brief explanation of how my plan begun, I wanted to carve out the sarcophagus and rebuild it, similar to the ForgeWorld Dreadnoughts.
In that sense, it went well.
But yes, pictures ahead.

Many pictures.
User Image
This was the very basic form, what I managed to do during a work training course. Needless info ftw.

User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
I like that. a messy fleshy banner, for starters, but I noticed faces in it.
I might work to emphasize that more.

And, an alternate CC arm;
User Image
User Image
Has kind of a bile-thrower, as opposed to a flamer.
All still WIP, I just wanted to show it off :3

Oh, and here's a friendly Ork'Stealer hybrid
User Image
good day.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:35 am
Wow man, those are some very nice green stuff conversions especially! I like what you did to the Dread, I think it's safe to say you favour Nurgle yes? I am very impressed, the variation of details from mold/mutation to battle damage really gives character to the creation. I can't wait to see it painted!

The Ork Stealer is also fantastic, do you count it as something in particular in an army or was it just for shits and giggles? Either way, I think it's very creative and well done at that!  

DarkReaper40k

Dangerous Shapeshifter

7,700 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:24 am
DarkReaper40k
Wow man, those are some very nice green stuff conversions especially! I like what you did to the Dread, I think it's safe to say you favour Nurgle yes? I am very impressed, the variation of details from mold/mutation to battle damage really gives character to the creation. I can't wait to see it painted!

The Ork Stealer is also fantastic, do you count it as something in particular in an army or was it just for shits and giggles? Either way, I think it's very creative and well done at that!

Thank you smile
Sadly that Dread, like that Daemon Prince in my other thread have come a long way since then.. Not paint wise, because I never find time to paint..
And I have a few other models coming along that I am loving right now especially.

I do certainly find Nurgle very soothing to sculpt. But it *is* a bit too easy. You don't even need a proper shape to work on to make it look good >.<
I'm preferring my fully sculpted Slanneshi-prince right now.
I mean ninja

ah you'll see him eventually anyway, no point hiding it e_e
Same for my Ogre-turned Nurgle Herald.
Or my Plague Marines, or the avatar of my anger..
Or my WarMachine War-Jack-turned-Khornate Obliterator :3 [a REALLY simple one, that!]

To the Dread comment.. I have been worried that the lack of consistency would make it look just badly done. Like, that there's only certain types of damage in only certain areas. An example being that only one shoulder is torn up, that area being the *only* space on the model where that damage is seen.

That said, I have the legs to do yet, and I might even go as far as making whole new feet.. But yes, thank you for all that, I had feared this section of the guild had been forgotten D:

*I keep forgetting bits of the posts.
The 'Stealer hybrid came about because I've been playing the old Space Crusade/ Space Hulk game [Hybridised by a rules-guru] at my local club and I was chatting to said guru about the hybrids. He was mentioning an old model he wanted to turn into a Genestealer Magus.
I.. thought he meant the Hero-quest sorcerer, of which I had two.
So, I have a Magus coming along nicely, this guy just came about because I thought to myself "s**t me, imagine if a Genestealer cult erupted amongst Orks! with how they both breed.. That would be terrifying"  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:56 pm
Ooo, I look forward to more pictures! When ever you put them up feel free to give me a pm poke, I'll happily look it over for you and share my thoughts.

For the Dread, what I will suggest is not going ape crazy on all areas with damage but perhaps giving a few gazes here and there on the lesser areas. That way it looks as though the dread favours attacking with the one side and/or defending with it, hence why it takes the blunt of the damage!

If you decide to redo the feet, might I suggest Tyranid scything talons? They make really fun conversations in Nurgle armies I find.

And okay, the ork hybrid makes a lot of sense now. I actually own the original Space Hulk and the hybrids. Using it for that would be very awesome indeed.

Man... I'm so happy I'm visiting the guild again, seeing all this stuff is getting my psyked to reboot my old projects (now that I've convinced my old gaming group to meet against and starting gaming again woo hoo!)  

DarkReaper40k

Dangerous Shapeshifter

7,700 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:01 pm
DarkReaper40k
Ooo, I look forward to more pictures! When ever you put them up feel free to give me a pm poke, I'll happily look it over for you and share my thoughts.

I will make sure to get some soonest, sir wink and I shall indeed.

Quote:
For the Dread, what I will suggest is not going ape crazy on all areas with damage but perhaps giving a few gazes here and there on the lesser areas. That way it looks as though the dread favours attacking with the one side and/or defending with it, hence why it takes the blunt of the damage!

I like that idea.. Then I could add some more bits to the claw to look like bits.
Hell I will probably do that anyway now :3

Quote:
If you decide to redo the feet, might I suggest Tyranid scything talons? They make really fun conversations in Nurgle armies I find.

I'm not sure how to do them for now, I've been thinking kind of like the FW triple toed version, or.. Kind of like hooves.

Quote:
Man... I'm so happy I'm visiting the guild again, seeing all this stuff is getting my psyked to reboot my old projects (now that I've convinced my old gaming group to meet against and starting gaming again woo hoo!)

Well, I hope you post it all! :3  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:23 pm
Well last year I posted the start of my Space Wolves project... it has sadly sat at the last stage in that thread since then because I learned that I have an allergy to something in the cleaning agent I use to strip the paint.. so I need to buy a good filter mask and wait for the weather to be good enough to work outside because other wise I'll make myself sick again trying to scrub the old paint off.... @.@

The good news though is that after something like 6 months of sitting in the solution, the plastic models are STILL in good condition! Which means it does no harm to plastic minis, just the paint! Always a good thing to find out... even though that may have been at the risk of a land raider ... heh..heh... few!  

DarkReaper40k

Dangerous Shapeshifter

7,700 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:20 pm
DarkReaper40k
Well last year I posted the start of my Space Wolves project... it has sadly sat at the last stage in that thread since then because I learned that I have an allergy to something in the cleaning agent I use to strip the paint.. so I need to buy a good filter mask and wait for the weather to be good enough to work outside because other wise I'll make myself sick again trying to scrub the old paint off.... @.@

The good news though is that after something like 6 months of sitting in the solution, the plastic models are STILL in good condition! Which means it does no harm to plastic minis, just the paint! Always a good thing to find out... even though that may have been at the risk of a land raider ... heh..heh... few!

With that kind of news, there'll be a whole horde of modellers wanting to know which cleaning agent you used o-o

I has good news!
Lately, I have been trying to discover NEW [to me] ways to sculpts Nurgle flesh and all kinds of nasty things..
I just discovered a new one! biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:13 pm
Well the cleaning agent is called Simple Green and at least here in Canada, I bought it at Canadian Tire. I haven't seen it sold any where else though... so it may be their brand of cleaner.

Other than the odour which as previously mentioned attacks my allergies, the stuff works wonders. It's not a one shot deal though. As I learned when using it with my wolves last year, if you soak your mini's (that have heavy paint on them) for 3-4 days you can scrub away most of the paint but some of it still latches on and sits in joints/crevices. So I soaked it for an additional week and with a strong denture tooth brush I was able to scrub away just about every last bit and was left with a mini that looked almost good as new!

I have to emphasize the multiple soaks and scrubs because the less the cleaning agents has to munch on at one time, the more successful the results and I find that is one thing many people don't take into consideration.  

DarkReaper40k

Dangerous Shapeshifter

7,700 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:59 pm
Ah, I have heard of that one.
I will have to consider this when I inevitably get sick my badly-painted IG D:

I will probably be putting up a new thread soon with some.. Updates.
The dread won't feature too heavily for this one twisted  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:08 pm
xd Nice Slayer head, thought something looked familiar about it!  

Asmusei -Faceless Hunter-

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:57 am

>:}
The sole reason for buying the War-jack.
I am tempted to remove the horns for a more respirator-ey look, though.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:16 pm
Messyart

crying I think the horns work. Maybe if you cut off the large horn from the Nurgle Champion helmet and tried fitting that on? You can always add...  

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:53 pm
Messyart

crying I think the horns work. Maybe if you cut off the large horn from the Nurgle Champion helmet and tried fitting that on? You can always add...

I have been tempted to add to the head, but it looks pretty awesome as-is.
I am also trying to make feet more akin to the Forge-world types..  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:05 pm
Messyart
Messyart

I have been tempted to add to the head, but it looks pretty awesome as-is.
I am also trying to make feet more akin to the Forge-world types..
sweatdrop I've never seen them, to be honest. At least with Nurgle you don't have to worry about them looking exact, right?  

Drakeoss Dragoon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:55 pm
Looking good, gotta say I like the way you did the blast damage on the one shoulder  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games