Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Help with Carbs

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Baddicus B itch

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:13 pm
So I've been looking at a lot of websites, and they've all told me different things about carbs. Apparently your body burns carbs instead of fat, so I have been looking high and low.
One website says carbs are good and to eat a generous amount. Others say to eat them sparingly and only whole ones.
When I don't break my habits, I usually eat fruit and nuts as snacks, but some say I shouldn't.
What do you do?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:53 am
well I think it is cheifly calories, I have a friend with a thyroid problem who gains weight if she eats ANY carbs, but her body does not produce any thyroid hormone. I guess asking a nutritionist will be the best thing my adopted aunt is a nutritionist, I will ask her and put her answer up.  

vanilla_bean_frappichino

Almost Poetic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:14 pm
Just went over carbs and fats in my Biology class. xp

Since unused carbohydrate/glucose energy gets converted into fats for longer energy storing (your carb stores deplete themselves after a day if not replenished, so it's nothing great), limiting your carbohydrate intake (sugars, mostly), lowers what you can convert into energy to store, meaning your body will have to use a different source of energy (fat).

Carbs are a form of energy, just like fats are. Carbohydrates only offer 4 calories per gram, while fat has 9 (2x+ more energy). I'd say that fats are the thing to limit, though lowering any form of energy intake is good enough to loose weight.

So yes, according to what I understand, lowering carbs can help you loose weight. Though don't expect anything great; I eat minimal fat/carbs each day (I'm a relatively picky eater sweatdrop ), and I'm not exactly of a healthy weight for that matter. >.>

I'd also say that it depends upon how much carbs/fat you eat each day prior to limiting your intake. Though fiber is still incredibly important for your health (lowers cholesterol, prevents cancer, etc.), so remember to include enough carbs in your diet to include the necessary daily amount. ^^

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:25 am
Carb TYPE is a big factor in wether or not to limit it. I would say look at the glycemic index. A donut, compared to oatmeal, not the same at all! I use whole grains, and whole wheats. But don't forget your body NEEDS carbs. Don't cut anything out altogether. You cut out too much energy, be it fat or carbs, don't expect to have energy to workout. Also, you cut down too much, and your metabolism will dive.

Strive for a high protein to calorie ratio, avoid stuff you KNOW is bad for you. Try to fill up on stuff you KNOW is good for you and don't worry too much about the in between.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

squeakygirl

6,250 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:33 pm
KaiKashi Shion
So I've been looking at a lot of websites, and they've all told me different things about carbs. Apparently your body burns carbs instead of fat, so I have been looking high and low.
One website says carbs are good and to eat a generous amount. Others say to eat them sparingly and only whole ones.
When I don't break my habits, I usually eat fruit and nuts as snacks, but some say I shouldn't.
What do you do?

The body apparently does burn carbs instead of fat. When I began my doctor supervised diet I was told 'NO CARBS" which included all tropical fruits and bananas.

I was told that by eliminating the carbs the body starts to burn the fat stored on the body.

I have lost 70 pounds and have some carbs back in my diet. I only eat brown rice, wheat bread (1 slice when I do eat it) and dreamfield's pasta (I make 1/2 of the listed serving size because I fill up so fast now).

I was allowed any berries, apples, peaches, nectarines; fruit like that.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:52 pm
To get a clearer picture of what you should be doing with carbs, I'd talk to a nutrition doctor. Their bound to know more than the interweb.

Yur-Yur Yuri

Beloved Phantom

9,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Survivor 150

Baddicus B itch

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:03 pm
squeakygirl
KaiKashi Shion
What do you do?

The body apparently does burn carbs instead of fat. When I began my doctor supervised diet I was told 'NO CARBS" which included all tropical fruits and bananas.

I was told that by eliminating the carbs the body starts to burn the fat stored on the body.

I have lost 70 pounds and have some carbs back in my diet. I only eat brown rice, wheat bread (1 slice when I do eat it) and dreamfield's pasta (I make 1/2 of the listed serving size because I fill up so fast now).

I was allowed any berries, apples, peaches, nectarines; fruit like that.

Thanks, that helps. I eat apples and berries a lot, that was the main thing I was worried about.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:04 pm
One thing people don't really know is carbs are not only used for energy, it also triggers fat storage. That's why a lot of low to now carb diets work. If you don't have carbs, fat storage will be really small to none. :]

But some of it is essential to working out since it's what muscles use first since fat takes awhile to burn.  

Euphoric Ghost

Kawaii Cub

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:26 am
You shouldn't cut out all carbs. To burn fat, there's a specific cycle used, chemical cycle. It uses carbs to burn fats more efficiently. The key to losing weight and being healthy is watching calories and eating a balanced diet. High fiber things will help you feel full longer. And high fiber things usually are found in foods made from carbs. That's something to keep in mind.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:14 am
From what I've heard, weight loss literally boils down to only burning more calories than you consume, no matter what those calories are.

However, lots of carbs are unhealthy (not to mention high in calories). White bread/pasta/rice is a common one that raises your blood sugar in almost the same way as eating straight candy or cake. For general lifetime heart health, stick to whole grain bread/pasta/crackers/whatever and brown rice (in general; obviously white rice/pasta sometimes isn't going to kill you, and they're still better than pastries, etc). Fruits and veggies are also "good" carbs.  

__penguin__
Captain

Edochi

Beloved Receiver

8,950 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:10 am
I'm not entirely sure myself-- I know carbs are important, but too many and the wrong types aren't healthy.
My mom and one of my grandmother's friends were put on a diet where they can have wholesome carbs, but only until 3pm. And after 3pm they can't have any carb intake until they wake up the next morning. The friend has lost 20 pounds so far doing this.

My mom hasn't really tried this (she's just suppose to try it). She's vegan though, and has lost 25 pounds since she cut meat, dairy, and poultry from her diet.

o.o I know I lost 5 pounds when I started eating whole grain bread instead of my grandparent's white bread.  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games