Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Healthier Craving Alternatives

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Almost Poetic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:38 pm
When you want something, you want it. But what if there was something other than a diet-ruining cupcake for that chocolate fix? This is the thread where we share our alternatives that hit just the right spot. wink

CRAVING: Salt, carbs
Instead of French Fries, try Steamed Edamame with Sea Salt.
The Good News: It has more fiber (may help lower your cholesterol), less oil (no stomach pain or tongue coating)
The Bad News: Edamame isn't something everyone likes, and it can be less convenient compared to fast food french fries

PREPARATION METHOD: Just get out your preferred steaming equipment and cook the vegetables until the pods split lightly. Remove from heat and either serve warm OR rinse in cold water to stop the cooking. Add ground sea salt to the bean pods, and they're ready to eat!

For those of you who really, REALLY wanted french fries instead, it's more of the shell that tastes like a fry instead of the beans inside. To prevent any choking hazards, you need to remove the beans (eat them or save them for pastes), then remove the strings on the top and bottom of the bean. Finally, remove the hard, sharp inner coating of the pod (inedible, so just toss it). Now you have two good "fries" for each pod you cook. I prefer to do this all at the same time (I like the beans as much as I like the shells :3 ), so it takes me a bit of time to eat them. And it works for mindless snacking this way since it takes you so long to eat one that you finish whatever it is you're doing before you finish your edamame serving.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:16 am
craving: chocolate. Alternative: either a small amount of dark chocolate or chocolate tea. Which has the chocolatey taste but is mostly water so you kill your craving without the calories.

Actually I have recently discovered David's Tea and they have an alternative for everything. They have creme caramel and creme brule teas, cafe moka, cofe pu'erh they make late teas! I love it. Addiction of the year lol.

I'm also trying to use my juicer more often. It's amazing how filling homemade juice is. But price is a small issue. I'm on a tight budget and can't spend that much on fresh produce.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

Enochian Whisperer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:49 pm
Well, dunno if this'll be much help, but whenever I find myself feeling hungry, [and pacing pointlessly in the livingroom because of it] I just take a scoop of peanut butter and eat it. I heard that PB helps quiet a hungry stomach inbetween meals when you feel as though you didn't eat enough and you're afraid to overeat.

And personally, I find it to be very true~ <3  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:58 pm
When I'm craving chocolate or something sweet I drink a cup of Dark Chocolate Almond Milk.
It is really healthy and loaded with good things for your body.

And low calorie.

^u^  

Testicular Diabeetus
Vice Captain

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

A Touch of Evil

Tipsy Genius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:36 pm
I'm the same as everyone here, when I'm craving something sweet, I go for dark chocolate. So delicious!  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:06 pm
Borisu Erei
Well, dunno if this'll be much help, but whenever I find myself feeling hungry, [and pacing pointlessly in the livingroom because of it] I just take a scoop of peanut butter and eat it. I heard that PB helps quiet a hungry stomach inbetween meals when you feel as though you didn't eat enough and you're afraid to overeat.

I've found that to be true, too. In order to not be hungry again after a snack, you need to eat something with fat and protein in it on top of the carbs. Peanut butter has all of that in it, and in a tablespoon of creamy it's less than 100 calories.

Almost Poetic

A Touch of Evil

Tipsy Genius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:34 pm
Almost Poetic
Borisu Erei

I've found that to be true, too. In order to not be hungry again after a snack, you need to eat something with fat and protein in it on top of the carbs. Peanut butter has all of that in it, and in a tablespoon of creamy it's less than 100 calories.

That's a good idea, I should try that. Just gotta be careful though because eating PB alone can be a choking hazard since it tends to stick to the upper palate of the mouth and can even stick to the back of the throat. I love PB though so I'm going to definitely try that.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:25 pm
A Touch of Evil
That's a good idea, I should try that. Just gotta be careful though because eating PB alone can be a choking hazard since it tends to stick to the upper palate of the mouth and can even stick to the back of the throat. I love PB though so I'm going to definitely try that.

I've never had a problem with that, but that might be because I despise eating it. stare It takes me about 45 minutes to an hour to eat a tablespoon. I just take little tiny licks and try not to focus on the taste.
It's suggested because it's easily accessible, effective, and relatively healthy.

Almost Poetic

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games