Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Recipes & Cooking Tips
Ultimate Ingredients Guide Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[Matsuko]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:27 pm
Wouldn't it be great if we had a warning system like in India?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism#Country_specific_information

Green for go, red for no...go...

And they get all the "hidden ingredients" like gelatin too! And this change was fairly recent, 2000 or so according to wikipedia.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:07 am
Animeomega
Question: Are there ANY brands of marshmallows that are vegan? It makes me cry if I can't eat s'mores anymore....

Vegan Essentials has a whole section with vegan marshmallow stuff. Go to the site, click Food & Sweets, and then scroll down.

http://www.veganessentials.com  

cafeganesh

Meldisse

Interesting Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:17 pm
Hey!

Can someone tell me what... Dashi is...? I know it's used alot in Japanese cooking... its a spice right? is it Vegetarian? What is it?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:17 pm
Meldisse
Hey!

Can someone tell me what... Dashi is...? I know it's used alot in Japanese cooking... its a spice right? is it Vegetarian? What is it?

Dashi is actually a broth that is comonly used in miso soup.
Dashi isn't usually vegetarian but sometimes it is if the bonito flakes are left out...

Wikipedia to the rescue!  

Astrox

ANGORAPHOBIA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:22 pm
Animeomega
Question: Are there ANY brands of marshmallows that are vegan? It makes me cry if I can't eat s'mores anymore....
I know! That's the one thing that keeps me from going beyond veggie! I know they make all sorts of vegan foods in England, even vegan skittles, so maybe like a mail-order from London?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:49 pm
Astrox
Meldisse
Hey!

Dashi is actually a broth that is comonly used in miso soup.
Dashi isn't usually vegetarian but sometimes it is if the bonito flakes are left out...

Wikipedia to the rescue!
Thanks sooo Much for the help!! 3nodding  

Meldisse

Interesting Gaian

collapsiblbunny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:59 pm
[Matsuko]
Gelatin!

Wikipedia says gelatin is: "a protein product derived through partial hydrolysis of the collagen extracted from skin, bones, cartilage, ligaments, etc."

I've read somewhere that kosher gelatin is vegetarian safe, but they could be made from anything that didn't used to be a pig (eg. fish, beef, etc.)

This page has a list of several vegan gelatin alternatives!

That's all I've got for now, toodles!

PS. I have no idea why that last link of gelatin alternative listings was on a website called Divorce Kit.

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but Wikipedia isn't a very reliable source. I've been told off for using it for a school report because the site owners would allow a seven year old post information, and not even check for it to be true or factual. That's just what my teacher and librarian said to me.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:27 pm
Animeomega

I had vegan marshmallows yesterday! I had to drive for an hour to a well-hidden whole foods store in the area to get them. They're made with agar-agar instead of geletin, and non-filtered cane sugar. They look a little funny, since they're made from natural ingredients they're a beige-ish color, like they've already been toasted or something. But they do indeed roast over a fire and work in a s'more just like normal marshmallows. Taste the same, too! (at least I didn't notice a difference).

I think they were made by a company called 'Vegan Sweets'.

EDIT: Oh, and Wegman's chain of grocery stores carries non-dairy ice cream. Its sooooo yummy! (I'm not vegan, but mildly lactose-intollerant and my fav comfort food is ice cream so this is like, heaven for me ^_^)  

spacekitten

Sparkly Cutie-Pie

15,350 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150

ANGORAPHOBIA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:06 am
W!nd R!der
[Matsuko]
Gelatin!

Wikipedia says gelatin is: "a protein product derived through partial hydrolysis of the collagen extracted from skin, bones, cartilage, ligaments, etc."

I've read somewhere that kosher gelatin is vegetarian safe, but they could be made from anything that didn't used to be a pig (eg. fish, beef, etc.)

PS. I have no idea why that last link of gelatin alternative listings was on a website called Divorce Kit.

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but Wikipedia isn't a very reliable source. I've been told off for using it for a school report because the site owners would allow a seven year old post information, and not even check for it to be true or factual. That's just what my teacher and librarian said to me.
Grain of sea salt for j00: Wikipedia can be fairly reliable because there are so many people constantly adjusting the information that misinformation never hangs around long. Best bet is to make sure that other sources can back up what Wiki says. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:45 pm
so the other day I found out that Ramen (beef flavor) isn't vegetarian. is there vegetarian ramen, that's like not a weird flavor? like faux beef or chicken? Also, does anyone know if vegetable bouillion cubes exist? ALOT of recipes I like call for it. And I can never find it and it's too expensive to just keep buying cans of stock.  

Peppermint Cherry

Mei Megami

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:08 am
[Matsuko]
Gelatin!

Kosher is a method they use to kill animals by gamming a knife in their neck, it is not vegetarian though some people claim it is more "humane" I don't think there is anything humane about killing animals  
Recipes & Cooking Tips

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff