Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Eating out.<rant>

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sunkist Serenade

3,600 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • Consumer 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:27 pm
So I work in a city that's the last bastion of metropolitan suburbia around. That being said I tend to eat out a lot, well, because I'm lazy and don't have a microwave at work to warm things up. One thing that has gotten so under my skin is that I have 5 places to choose from to eat. 2 of which are Chinese/Japanese and the other 2 are sub shops and a pizza place. Their are like 6 steak places, a barbeque place, and several burger joints around. It gets annoying that my options for eating out are so limited. Subs, pizza, and sushi get old after awhile.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:45 am

Meh I never eat out. We do have in my city one restraunt that is all Vegan/Veggie. But I have never been. We also have another one that is Vegan only on Wednesdays. But never been.

I gave up trying to eat out or find places that are Vegan Friendly a long time ago. >.<

I wish there were more places out there and like you wish there were more options.

Painful Passion

Beloved Shapeshifter

6,350 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150

MC Ride is my Daddy

Shirtless Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:06 pm
Yeah, eating out can be kinda hard. It's even worse if you live in a town of 950 and you're the only vegtarian.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:45 pm
Pretty much the only thing you can get is a salad. Ruby Tuesday has a veggie burger though.  

eveejoystar

Invisible Poster

6,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100

DarkWitchofDream

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:24 pm
What's wrong with a packed lunch? smile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:54 pm
JadeyGlasvegas
What's wrong with a packed lunch? smile
Best idea, I've seen so far.

But if you are out with friends, and you go somewhere to eat.....THEN you have to figure something out.  

Nadira

5,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

Sakakikala

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:32 am
You could always check out all the other restaurants and take a peek at their menus and ask questions. If you have to, tell them you're with happy cow and are noting all the veg*n friendly foods/drinks at the local businesses so any vegans or vegetarians will be able to find a place to eat, meaning more veg options, more $$ for them. wink

Also, if you plan to try the food before you leave, and the place doesn't have anything veg friendly, walk right out. If you never ordered anything, you don't have to pay. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:03 am
I live in such a small town and it is great that it is as vegan friendly as it is. Whenever I go to a store and I tell them I'm veg they usually ask me if there is anything that I would want them to carry heart

Do you typically ask for custom orders? Cause I'm (90%) sure they will make something veg for you <3  

a-little-piggy

6,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Nadira

5,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:14 pm
Depends where you live, more veg*n places are popping up.

Yelp.com

Works great.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:37 am
So I'm starting to pack my own lunch. Any ideas for foods would be great. I can't warm things because I don't have access to a microwave so I was thinking bento style foods.

Any Ideas?  

Sunkist Serenade

3,600 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • Consumer 100

A Touch of Evil

Tipsy Genius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:48 am
Sunkist Serenade
So I'm starting to pack my own lunch. Any ideas for foods would be great. I can't warm things because I don't have access to a microwave so I was thinking bento style foods.

Any Ideas?

What about a sandwich? I've been able to find vegan wheat and/or white bread (It's the store brand for Fresh n Easy so it's the least expensive) tofurkey slices, and vegan cheese (like daiya) and then maybe add some avocado, mushroom, olives, and tomatoes.....omg I'm making myself hungry. heart  
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games