Reply It's A Girl Thing!
Driving

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cold Oktober

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:13 pm
so, i'm almost 16 and my mom's decided it's time i start learning how to drive. but the thing is, i have no idea where to start. i googled driving schools in southern california and i got a million links. i'm so confused. and when i try to ask my mom want to do, she just says, "google it." on top of that, my friends are already done with driving (because they're all older) and don't know what school to go to because they learned from their parents. this is just so confusing and overwhelming. anyone in socal know of any good driving schools?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:16 am
[~+~]

Would you be ok if i moved this to the main forum?
I'm thinking you may get more answers there than here, as you're in a specific area. x3

User Image

Empty Spiral

xena91388

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:59 am
Before you even THINK about getting into a car. You need to learn the road rules, signals, and signs of your state and pass a test on them to get your permit. Look up your local DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) and they should have free books about the rules and where you can takes classes and such.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:19 pm
no problem, spiral. c:

@xena;
dmv sounds like a good place to start. thanks!  

Cold Oktober

twistedmx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:52 pm
Good luck taking your permit test! ^^  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:30 pm
also another way to take ur classes is online. im taking mine online and so far its realy good. and once u got it all done then u can go to the DMV and take the driving test since u took the written part online and they'll take it. i still havnt finished mine tho im on like chap 5 i think aha  

the_kill_from_yesterday

Magnetic Player

6,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Wall Street 200

Cold Oktober

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:40 pm
@child;
what site are you taking classes at and how much does it cost?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:25 pm
Go to the DMV.
Ask where to take classes, and pick up a Driver's Manual.
Talk to your insurance company about whether or not the class will save you on your premium. If it doesn't; don't bother. Classes aren't worth it!
Take the permit test first of all, but study for it if you don't know the general rules of the road.

In Oregon, I had to 50 hours driving with a liscened adult (my mother...blargh) and 50 "hours" of driver's ed. class. The class was at the community college for $200 (will be offered for free at high school for free next year, of course...)
Then you'll be all set to take the written and driving test for your liscence.
(the whole process took me about half a year..)

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100

alienli

Friendly Tipper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:06 pm
Fffflkajlek.
Really?
Half a year?
Shoot, man.
That sucks.
I want to drive,
and I've been practicing with my Mom sort of,
but... eh.
I'm a really nervous person.
Really.
Nervous.
. n .

I'm a good driver.
I just can't do anything else while driving.
The teensiest of distractions, and my mind is fuuuu-  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:41 pm
Well with the links, you can call or e-mail them and find out what their prices are and how long their classes are.

Personally I didn't drive till I was 18, when I started my first job and needed a car. If you start earlier, you or your parents will probably have to pay for higher insurance.

Oh and find a place to practise! Very important. I drove with my mom in an abandoned subdivision near my house. The more practise you can get, the better.

Good luck! smile  

kitti kat 28

6,100 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Noob wrangler 100

Ophrysia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:10 am
First things first, you need to go to your local DMV. You can pick up a handbook to study from, and ask about any classes you may need to take. Does your school have a Driver's Ed. class? If so, take it; taking it at the DMV will cost money. I think if you're under a certain age, you're required to take a class before you can take the permit test. That might also vary from state ot state; I don't remember. XD I didn't have to take a class to take the test, but that might have been because I was 18 when I took it.

When you get your permit, you can take driving classes at the DMV,
or have your parents teach you. In hindsight... I wish I had gone with option one. My parents were terrible driving teachers. My dad is still banned to the back seat of my car. >_>  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:21 pm
I'd call the ministry of transportation or wherever you actually get your license and ask for some recommendations of accredited driving schools.

I'm 18 and I don't have my first level of licensing (it's a different here in Ontario, you have three levels of driving licenses) but I know that to go from one level to another level in the shortest amount of time (instead of waiting the full period) you have to take a driving course from ministry approved driving school.  

bellsofblue

It's A Girl Thing!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff