Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
Fai's Art Advice and Mentoring Thread [OPEN]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Faithom
Artist

Heckler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:00 am
User Image|| Intro ||

Hi there! My name's Fai, and I'm a 20 years old art student at a non-art school lol. Most of the things I know have been self-taught. I do both traditional and digital art, though I've only used charcoal and other dry mediums so I won't really be able to help much if you want to know about water color and the likes. I draw in a mixed anime/realistic style.

My da: http://faithom.deviantart.com

I only started studying art seriously this year so I kind of wanted to practice critiquing [I know, odd, but my professors actually grade that too] so if anyone need help etc. feel free to post here! I have a lot of things to work on my self too, and I think when I look at others' works it also helps me to grow as an artist. Don't hesitate to ask anything!

P.S. I'm on actually pretty frequently but if I don't reply within 24 hours go ahead and fetch me from my art freebie thread and I'll come help ya! smile Link's in my siggy.

When you post a request, please also link me to the gallery and tell me what you'd like to improve on so I can help. kthx. Also remember to come back and check on my reply posts!

Update: Haven't been consistently checking in on gaia but if you are interested PM me on dA.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:10 pm
I'd like to be a mentee. c:  

BasedCringe69

Ryo Skylight

Sparkly Prophet

6,250 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:36 pm
I would be interested in being a mentee as well here is my da

DA  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:46 pm
Oh yay! biggrin Tell me what you guys would like to work on and we can get started from there?

but yeah LGCookie if you don't mind post your gallery as well? smile

Faithom
Artist

Heckler

BasedCringe69

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:24 am
Well, I don't have a DA but I have a photobucket. c:

Excuse the random stuff in there.

Some really recent sketches.

I'd really like to work on anatomy and proportions and stuff. I'd also like to star kind of getting my style together, although I think I'll have to help myself with that. XD  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:45 pm
Spontaneous Information
Well, I don't have a DA but I have a photobucket. c:

Excuse the random stuff in there.

Some really recent sketches.

I'd really like to work on anatomy and proportions and stuff. I'd also like to star kind of getting my style together, although I think I'll have to help myself with that. XD

My tablet isn't around for the moment so I'll do some red-lining later to illustrate my points... but for anatomy and proportions I'd suggest trying to draw a few more realistic pictures even if from photographs because they really help [/helped me to grasp a better sense on anatomy]. http://posemaniacs.com is a good source - especially pay attention to the muscles and the way they line up at certain poses.

i.e. x For the arm on the left, there's none of that natural bend and just kind of a curve - I'm not sure if it's supposed to be straight [just by the angle of the hand it's not]. The arm on the right has the right bend, but then the arm-arm is a bit too long so it looks odd and the angle of the thumb isn't exactly correct - I know this is being really picky, but if you look at your own figures they aren't round - from the side, especially thumb. It's more of a tapered and rounded point, and drawing that with your hands would help a lot.

As far as my advices on coloring goes, I would suggest reading a few tutorials on dA [just type in cg tutorial... there's a ton of them]. The most important advice I can give here is draw a light source, or at least mark where you want that light to come from [even if mentally] so you can draw in shadows/highlights consitently. I'll draw a picture later to indicate my point. I know it's manga so there are a lot of liberties to be taken but the fact is light's physical properties do not change.

Then for you sketches, I'd say just do a lot more of them with varying poses/from different angles. You are going in the right direction and I can see improvement. I would emphasize again on drawing from photographs and checking poses as well as creases for clothes - it's the little things that could improve the quality of a picture immensely. But anyways, one of the really important advices that my art prof gave was that you stop improving whenever you start drawing what you are comfortable with over and over again without making changes and you have to push yourself to make a change. So yeah, find some reference poses and make your characters bust out into moves.

:3

Reference pictures will be up tomorrow or Thursday.

Faithom
Artist

Heckler

Faithom
Artist

Heckler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:02 am
Here's the link to the redlining for Spontaenous Info: x

So just a couple things, I numbered the light source and the direction they are coming from and then the stars mean areas where there should be high lights from that same light source. [they are completely missing on the wings] As you can see, it's kind of everywhere. Also the shadows on the fingers are confusing because the entire tip is shadowed... and that doesn't sync w/ any of the lights.

And then I just drew a rough skeleton to show you that the sections of the arms are uneven. You can say forshortening, but then your chest isn't turned at all which means that there aren't any forshortening whatsoever [so the distance between the neck and the edge of the shoulder shouldn't have that big of a difference].The top of the skull also needs to be rounder.

lastly, dont' forget to shade in the white of the eyes.

... XD I hope that wasn't saying too much...

Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games