Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply The Friends of English Magic Guild
Yay! I found it!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

archenteron

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:57 pm
rofl

I found the beginnings of a plot. sweatdrop

Sorry. I get all excited when that happens.

This story of mine has been on the boiler for the longest time, bits and pieces, themes in my head, general ideas. It had no real purpose, I was just writing it spasmodically with no aim in mind but just to write. Which is fine, because I never intend to publish anything, or even necessarily to finish... but it's SO good when a plot actually starts to form, even the tiniest grain of a plot, that the story can start formulating around. Like the piece of sand in the middle of the pearl or, to use an analogy I like better, the small bit of precipitation that will eventually form into a bladder stone. Believe me, the second comparison fits much better in terms of how my stories usually go.

I found this bit in one of my notebooks today:
"He couldn't remember his (own) name. Othello sounded wrong. Who was Othello?"

Who indeed ... Something for me to think about.

Wow, sorry if this is disjointed. I started to have a plot when I realized most of the story was written in backwards-cursive writing. The main character comes back to "life," sort of... I suppose he's some kind of zombie, but the backwards writing actually started it. At first I thought he came back and HE was writing backwards. To the rest of the world, that's what it would look like. But everything he reads is backwards. He first realizes this after he gets picked up by an ambulance, is taken to a hospital; they can't find anything wrong with him (per se) except for an absolute lack of any vital signs, somehow he is able to talk his way out of it, signs himself out, can't read anything on the forms. (To him it's all backwards!) Signs his name, where indicated, and they can't make out his writing. They assume it's really messy. They should have held it up to a mirror.

Also, he can hear life - and see it; he first finds this oddly pleasing, this constant chiming, the shifting colors, until he becomes so enraged by his own lack of any of these, indeed his ability to nullify them when he gets too close to other people.

I'm rambling. Like madcrazy. Blame it on the sleep-deprivation.

The thing is, the whole Othello thing, something had to happen to zombie-dude to make him how he is; so maybe he has some kind of purpose to his pseudo-life after all.

Not much of a plot right now. Not a whole lot to get excited over, I guess, but I love the concept in the story, like in this other story with a demon that could only be seen in reflections, living in the head of a schizophrenic, sowing chaos.

sweatdrop

Okay, I think I'm done ranting now.

burning_eyes  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:44 am
I think it's very compelling! I hope you keep going with it  

Lady Pole
Crew

The Friends of English Magic Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers