Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply The Friends of English Magic Guild
11 is an intense age for harry potter fans <3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

deeelights

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:29 pm
Did anyone else sit at their window when they turned 11 waiting for their letter accepting them into Hogwarts ?
thats how i spent my 11th year of life xD
i have come to the conclusion it is because i live in Canada

ANYONE ELSE WITH ME ? (:  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:35 pm
I was too old. But I never thought about readers doing that before. Was it disappointing? Would you say that's a reason to wait for reading Harry Potter until a certain age, or do you think it added to the excitement?  

Lady Pole
Crew

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:25 pm
I was actually younger than 11 when I started reading. I always imagined harry and co. as 9 years old, like myself smile when I first read book 5, I just couldn't understand why Harry was being so annoying. Then I became a teenager and I understood (although I still think he was being a brat. I mean, come on).  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:49 pm
My friend and I just had this conversation! Anyways...I was 10 when I first started the series and spent most of the following year waiting for the letter...I was disappointed, but not as much as having to wait three years for The Order of the Pheonix after reading the first four back to back 3nodding  

Catherine of Aragon

Agent Mallard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:16 pm
I started reading Harry Potter when I was 8 and I spent the next 3 years convinced I was going to grow up to be a wizard. When I didn't receive a letter I cried for literally a week. It was heartbreaking. BUT I think spending 3 years of my life "practicing" for Hogwarts was the best way to spend that time! It was better then sitting around watching TV and getting fat like my brother did! (:  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:15 pm
Agent Mallard
I started reading Harry Potter when I was 8 and I spent the next 3 years convinced I was going to grow up to be a wizard. When I didn't receive a letter I cried for literally a week. It was heartbreaking. BUT I think spending 3 years of my life "practicing" for Hogwarts was the best way to spend that time! It was better then sitting around watching TV and getting fat like my brother did! (:

like harry and his cousin biggrin

its a trying moment when you realize hogwarts wont accept you =[  

deeelights

deeelights

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 pm
Sita Harker
I was actually younger than 11 when I started reading. I always imagined harry and co. as 9 years old, like myself smile when I first read book 5, I just couldn't understand why Harry was being so annoying. Then I became a teenager and I understood (although I still think he was being a brat. I mean, come on).

i knowww and all
LALALA I HAVE NO PAARENTTS
like jeesh your freinds are willing to give up everything for you and your snapping back at them ?

ohh teenage angst xPP  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:31 pm
Wintertowne
I was too old. But I never thought about readers doing that before. Was it disappointing? Would you say that's a reason to wait for reading Harry Potter until a certain age, or do you think it added to the excitement?

it was tres tress dissapointing !
it was like oh.. well. okayy, now what >.<
i think if you read it when your younger it definitely adds to the excitement
because theres just a window of possibilities
you Imagen what your journey through hogwarts will be like
i think J.K. rowling wrote her books so that one can grow up with them
like from the first to the third you dream about it and how it seems possible and also it is more childish
but from the 4th one on, by that time you should have realized that the possibilty of going to hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry are not true, and your just gonna have to teach yourself x)
then the books become more grown up and a lot darker
then you are attached to the characters are just sucked into the whole idea of that world
I read them as i was growing up and i thought it was pretty cool that how the book was matched my age and the age of the characters.
it was still a shock when mrs. weasley used the B word xD  

deeelights

The Friends of English Magic Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces