Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cherub and Friends Art Guild

Back to Guilds

In this guild you may post your art for all to see, get tips on improving your work, and enter our monthly contests! 

Tags: anime, drawings, avatar, manga, shop 

Reply Tips, Tutorials, and General Questions
Which way is best?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

--Untoten Kase--

Extreme Streaker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:37 pm
Glammed up fabulous...

In collage I was thinking about taking an art class to learn more. (I have 2 years to practice before I wanna actually learn xP) But, is it best to learn on my own? Or would a class be good for me? Or would it matter? Just so I can get a head start on thinking about collage and everything. whee

...Lookin' hot, dangerous.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:39 pm
either is good. someone can teach them self. but sometime a teacher can have you seeing things you haven't noticed. i've learned a lot from my art teachers, but i've also taught myself a hell of a lot of art techniques over the years. so i guess the choice is all up to you.
questions to think about:
can you teach yourself enough to where you'll feel satisfied in the end?
can you push yourself to learn pass your boundaries?
or do you need someone else to show you further into art than you would discover on your own?

xxXSleepy_NinjaXxx

Mega Nerd

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Nudist Colony 200

Digital Plush

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:07 pm
I agree with sleepy. I taught myself for 15 years and got my skill and technique to a good level. But after a few years with my art teacher I learned a lot more that I mixed with my own technique. I was 100% about drawing and wouldn't touch another medium.

She got me into painting, sculpting, prints, photography, everything under the sun. So even though I don't use all of that in my main studies the little things stuck with me. Like how painting gave me an understanding of color, sculpting gave me a better sense of form in my realism and photography gave me more defined composition and perspective.

You can teach yourself only so much until someone takes you out of your comfort zone. Since then I've been taking myself out of my comfort zone, trying all types of media and using so many different styles.

In the long run these things will also help you to better understand and develop your own style. So if I were you. I would do both. Learn as much as you can on your own, learn what you can from others then teach yourself some more.

Hope this helped wink  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:32 pm
There is no "best way". Both compliment each other. You can be self-taught and be pretty damned good. If you are willing to try hard enough. The only draw back is, you never leave your comfort zone. Never taking risks that you may end up loving. Taking classes can help with that.

I was pretty good before I took classes. I could draw and color. But not shade. I never even thought much of it. I sort of knew how to shade in the anime fashion. I took a class and I realized that I could give a somple drawing more depth. I even realized I loved molding ceramics.

It doesn't matter the option. One thing stands true in both. Study and reasearch. Its just that one you do all yourself while the other is guided.

Even classes can't go that far. Only you can develope your style. From my own expericances, try both. Each is just a suppliment to the final product: you, the artist.  

onipanda379

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100

Quvi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:21 pm
You can teach yourself and be great eventually. But it might take a lot longer than with having someone further along in their artistic journey guide you along. It might take you years to develop and eye to critique yourself harshly, and even after all those years, having someone to point out things for you can really help you improve.

Personally, I was pretty terrible at drawing before I took a serious art class. It was only when I took a class I realized I wasn't good at all, and I had so much more to learn.  
Tips, Tutorials, and General Questions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games