Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jason Kharo

5,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:43 am
Eisenhorn, possibly one of the older of the Black Library books, but under no circumstances is it understated.
I have to say, these collection of three books are on par with Ravenor, or possibly even better. Yeah, I think they are actually.

Everything about it I love, every little bit, I cannot find any faults with it, none what so ever.

The fact that the book details the passage of time, hinting at past missions, lost comrades and past times is possibly what I enjoy the most, that or how the amazing author shows combat and the way that the Inquisitor fights the enemies of the Imperium.

Another point is how you are kept in the loop, how he truly is doing everything for the Imperium, but eventually 'crosses the line', as said by the heretic Pontius Glaw. The fact that the book shows you that radical Inquisitors aren't all crazy traitors, like the amazing scene with the inquisitor Quixos, as he eventually turns to Chaos in the hope of sealing the Eye of Terror. You can see the reasoning why he did so, to help the Imperium, and Eisenhorn slowly moves to Quixos' views, although not as Radical and such as the rouge inquisitor.

I have to say, the entire collection is outstandingly good, I have read it so many times I can recite every scene in it. Bad I know...

Any ways, thoughts on the book?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:16 am
It is a great series, one of the few that I keep on reading alongside my tattered copy of Ravenor. This is how trilogies should be done. Strong start, a great middle and while it has something of a downer ending, it neatly expands into Ravenor with some of the minor Eisenhorn characters and hopefully some time 2012, the series will see its conclusion with the Bequin(!) trilogy.

Everything Jason said applies to the Eisenhorn saga. I must add, it oozes with style. The narrative really fits the style. Sometimes . Other times, short, brutal and to the point. The quote "Come and let me show you how I killed Eyclone." still pops up whenever I think of this, along with the way the suspect was murdered: by jamming a heavy calibre pistol so hard into his mouth that the trigger guard broke a few teeth.

I like to think of Eisenhorn as the Original Trilogy of the 40k universe.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:30 am
Eisenhorn is awesome, accept no substitute. scream  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:10 am
Lt. Brookman
It is a great series, one of the few that I keep on reading alongside my tattered copy of Ravenor. This is how trilogies should be done. Strong start, a great middle and while it has something of a downer ending, it neatly expands into Ravenor with some of the minor Eisenhorn characters and hopefully some time 2012, the series will see its conclusion with the Bequin(!) trilogy.

Everything Jason said applies to the Eisenhorn saga. I must add, it oozes with style. The narrative really fits the style. Sometimes . Other times, short, brutal and to the point. The quote "Come and let me show you how I killed Eyclone." still pops up whenever I think of this, along with the way the suspect was murdered: by jamming a heavy calibre pistol so hard into his mouth that the trigger guard broke a few teeth.

I like to think of Eisenhorn as the Original Trilogy of the 40k universe.

I want a Bequin trilogy SOOOO bad.

Cause it's something my wife can get into more as well. She loved Bequin and Medea, but she was kinda let down about the smaller roles they played in the third book.

If I didn't have a billion other things to do at the moment, I'd go and reread Eisenhorn. I've had it sitting on my dresser just staring at me longingly for weeks. I'll probably end up cracking it open again for it's yearly read in February when work slows down.

I can't express how influential that book and Dan Abnett's writing style overall has been on my writing. The man's a freaking God Emperor in his own right.

Anyone know when the Bequin books are going to start coming out? I might actually put some cash aside and preorder them.  

GeneralFishSama

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:25 am
Dan mentioned that he would start work on them somewhere around 2011 or 2012, so they are still some time off.  
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:44 am
Pariah's out and I'm gearing up to reread both the Eisenhorn and Ravenor omnibi to get ready for it! I'm ridiculously excited.  

PlaguePriest

Dapper Prophet

3,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Signature Look 250

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:14 am
Ormagoden
Pariah's out.
Please do note that the last post prior to your belated reply is from late 2010.. wink  
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:28 am
Lady Blodwynn
Ormagoden
Pariah's out.
Please do note that the last post prior to your belated reply is from late 2010.. wink

I noticed, just thought I'd jump this off because, well, the last post was in 2010. wink  

PlaguePriest

Dapper Prophet

3,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Signature Look 250

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:59 pm
Ormagoden
Lady Blodwynn
Ormagoden
Pariah's out.

I noticed, just thought I'd jump this off because, well, the last post was in 2010. wink
Maybe next time though, don't necro a thread unless it is really important okay? 3nodding  
Review Corner

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games