Welcome to Gaia! ::

Maple Story

Back to Guilds

First Gaia-MS Guild. Come join the Gaian MapleStory community! 

Tags: maplestory, maple, story, nexon, wizet 

Reply Maple Story
Big Bang - Initial Thoughts

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TaerkDS
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:29 pm
Now that the Big Bang patch has been released in Global Maple Story, what are your initial thoughts or feelings as to the changes? Things that could be changed?

----

In my case I felt quite disappointed when as a Chief Bandit, my skills were reset (somewhat) and I put points in Shadow Partner but then found out I could not buy summoning rocks from Alcaster.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:36 am
It is a pity that Alcaster's quest was resetted and that now the rocks are at high demand now. Prices are double than what they're bought at from the NPC.
There will be a full SP reset though, so all is well for that.

Back to what I was hoping they'd fix was, APQ and DCing at bosses. (All that I can think off the top of my head)

Edit; (After reading Derimed)
I don't play because I want to level up to 200, but I play because there just those friends, you know? Be optimistic and just play the game as it is because nothing in this world, is free nor flawless.  

BlackFireEX

Timid Spirit

Elektro7

Devout Poster

8,550 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:00 am
I was kinda annoyed for the first 5 minutes when my guild disappeared, but I knew better than to think the guild was actually deleted or anything.

So far, it's pretty awesome.
Although I think the max level should be raised, now that it's so much easier to reach 200.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:45 pm
I am a level 200 Bishop. I am comfortably in the top 100 in one of the largest servers, so not one of the first-gen players, but I've still been around forever.

I don't know how to feel about this thing. As a player that reached 200 before Big Bang, I have a substantial permanent advantage: I reached 200 with MP Increase, that has since been removed, and replaced by a 20% blanket boost. So, I get to have the full advantages of both, and my MP is over 25000 without Hyper Body. I also got all the Bishop books way back. It's kinda horrible watching all these people scramble for Big Bang 30s when I bought mine for 5 million when it was completely worthless.

Also, I love that they finally took 2x XP away. I HATED that about Maple. They'd talk about "free" on their website, but it was like the sales pitch of a used car salesman: no competitive player could possibly get anywhere without 2x XP cards, and one had to sit at the computer in 4 hour increments to play Maple, being unable to step away or call it quits. Now, we can play whenever we want, and anybody can achieve a high level, not just those with big money for the experience cards.

HOWEVER... Maple is still about money, and I think the removal of 2x was done not to make Maple "free." I think what they did was realize that before only a fairly small group was spending a fortune on NX, that is the competitive players who were going for high levels. Now, EVERYONE can go for high levels, and so everybody will be tempted to spend more on NX.

The Cash Shop scams continue. When I left the game they instituted permanent NX clothes for double the price of 90 day. Then, they obviously realized that was costing them money, so they removed it. Now, they're selling them permanently for the first 2 weeks, and it becomes 90 day after that. I love how they say it's to "simplify the cash shop experience," when it's an obvious marketing scam.

Finally, and most importantly, the basic principle of equipment in Maple Story has not changed, and that is the biggest scam. They keep releasing updates that make old gear obsolete. Most of my friends have spent billions of mesos on their gear, each time this happens they spend billions more to update their equipment. Until this s**t stops, (which it probably never will,) I don't think Maple will ever be worth playing. This stuff makes children steal their parents' credit cards to get NX, in my CVS they don't accept my credit card half the time because the management has been told to only accept cash for NX cards.

I think overall, Big Bang breathes new life into this game by fixing a lot of problems, but the things that REALLY were the problems in this game remain alive and well. I think anyone who plays other games and is not addicted to Maple should not choose this game. Yes, I am level 200, but I can tell you from my position that having gotten there, there's nothing to do and you start wondering why the hell you did it in the first place.  

Breadist

Writer

veffanculo

6,450 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:38 pm
I've gotta be honest...I haven't touched MS since mid August and even then, I had no clue as to what "Big Bang" is...From what I see, they're adding 2 new jobs/classes...I'm guessing that's not all there is to it, since there's a big hullabaloo about it.
Anyone care to further inform me?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:41 pm
veffanculo
I've gotta be honest...I haven't touched MS since mid August and even then, I had no clue as to what "Big Bang" is...From what I see, they're adding 2 new jobs/classes...I'm guessing that's not all there is to it, since there's a big hullabaloo about it.
Anyone care to further inform me?

They added two new classes, changed nearly every skill in the game in one way or another, merged some skills, added a couple new skills to some classes, changed a lot of maps, added/removed some features, changed almost every damage/stat calculation in the game, changed the exp curves, and I'm sure I'm missing a handful of things.

See Here for a list of a good number of the changes.

My thoughts:

As a player who played from Beta until quitting two years ago, it's tempting me to play Maple again. I got to 138 on my Dark Knight, but I was 134 when 4th came out. The skills they gave Dark Knights in 4th made it feel like my efforts were wasted which is why I quit 4 levels later. But now, I like how they've tweaked and merged some of the skills. Maybe it's just because I was never a hybrid, but it feels like I'm playing a whole new character now.

And this is saying a lot since I vowed to never touch Maple again after finding out my DK's godly Blue Whitebottoms and Brown Work glove had been stolen off my pirate character while I was away for a few months.

One thing I don't like is the new accuracy curve. My hermit is now unable to scratch the few things I would train it on before, and I'm afraid to see what my DK can't hit.

Overall, many of the updates were greatly needed. But will it be enough to keep me in the game personally? Right now, I'm wanting to go back. But in the end I probably wont feel this way after a few hours of grinding. And even so, I might not even attempt to go back until they resolve my customer support ticket (which is currently being looked at (apparently)) and give me my damn equips back.  

phillipo
Crew

PuhTieTow

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:03 am
not a big fan of the map changes.
Not a big fan of the monster levels. Not many places to train at anymore.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:51 pm
CherryUndies
not a big fan of the map changes.
Not a big fan of the monster levels. Not many places to train at anymore.

You're kidding, right?
If it's around your level, it's at the very least passably training.
Some places are better than others, just like pre-BB, but that there are less places to train? Are you insane?  

Elektro7

Devout Poster

8,550 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Mark Twain 100

ValhalIa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:42 pm
BB just hit MS europe 4 days ago. Even though we still have many bugs I like it so far and I didn´t get lost as much as I though I´d get when I first heard about the map changes.

The worse glitch at the moment is that everyone is missing skill points on their charas and even though we got a Hot Time event to obtain a SP reset scroll, the event only lasted for one minute making the Scroll only available for one character per account. The scroll also didn´t return SP from removed or altered skills, so that some people can´t use their higher level skills now.

I am also a bit sad sad that they changed the family system. No more 2x exp/drop for yourself or the party.

I love however the new experience curve and that the damage range for players increased. I can also take more damage now as it seems that the defense rate increased and I don´t die on monsters like Manon or Crog with 1 hit. Since we had a 2x exp/drop event on the weekend, I lvled my Ranger from 92-108 in two days. I´ve never lvled that much in such a short amount of time especially in the higher level rank. Hopefully I can make the 4th job advancement for the first time soon, unless the missing SP bug is still not fixed and the job constructor won´t let me advance because of my lacking Skill points.

Funny is that our BB is almost entirely the copy from MapleSEA, but therefor we got as addition a lot new Maps to explore than we had before, like Malaysia, Ninja Castle and Neo Tokyo.
As a side effect of the copying, we don´t have our Cash Trade Button anymore either, which only affect me as i can´t buy Cash Items with Meso anymore. Our lovely Pigmy also got replaced with the Gachapon.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:16 pm
I'm still kinda glad I quit when I did years ago. I still love the basic concept of the game- cute platforming with RPG classes- but everything else about the game was terrible. The community was horrible, people KSed everywhere, the marketplace was overinflated and really hard to use, and you have to grind severely to get anywhere and if you happened to mess up and die you lost hours of work. Plus you had to keep resupplying yourself with items like arrows or stuff for skills or whatnot. It seemed like the game was about impossible to get anywhere with at a casual level without spending a lot of NX cash. I wish it'd just get a core redo. I remember taking like 2 years to get a lvl 60ish Hunter and a lvl 30ish Cleric. I kept seeing the level cap go up and up and dispairing at how I was supposed to ever get good equipment. And OMG scrolling stuff was horrible.
Anyway I got the bug a little bit from playing their Facebook game, but I'm glad that one is really simple. Though I wish it had other class choices.  

Imaginary Fox
Vice Captain

Aged Dabbler

9,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Grunny Grabber 50
Maple Story

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers