Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Review Corner
Review: Dead Men Walking (IG novel series)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:12 am
When the necrons rise, a mining planet descends into a cauldron of war and the remorseless foes decimate the human defenders. Salvation comes in an unlikely form – the Death Korps of Krieg, a force as unfeeling as the Necrons themselves. When the two powers go to war, casualties are high and the magnitude of the destruction is unimaginable.

Dead Men Walking (DMW) is next in the long line of Imperial Guard novels. The range has seen quite a few famous regiments pass and while most are a bit of a miss, there are some shining gems tucked in between. Why hit and miss? To me, the novel should be about the regiment and letting them do what they do best. Instead, we get infighting, super-secret special missions that require a break from regular operations or other silly s**t like that. Others are too predictable or just plain bad. There are some exceptions to this: Fifteen Hours and Cadian Blood. Sadly DMW isn't to be added to these two.

We all know about the Death Korps of Krieg and their faceless badass looks. So how neat would it be to have a novel about them and the brutal trench warfare they often find their selves embroiled in? Oops, you're better off reading Imperial Armour five, which goes into great detail describing the men of Krieg doing just that. Instead they are mostly absent from the story, with a few bits and bobs here to give a glimpse into what they are and where they come from. This all to further reinforce that the Krieg are not human, but instead the product of penance and only good for one thing: dying in service to the Emperor.

So, for humanity and 90% of the actual story and whatnot we're looking at several locals and the regimental commissar, with the Krieg being out there in the background for the most part. In one corner we have a mining director who is in love with the niece of the governor. In the other we have the niece of the governor who happens to be in the city while the Necrons fully awaken. There's also the governor himself and the commissar attached to the Krieg, who is more human than most written in their stereotypical mannerism.

The story itself is simple enough: Miners dig a hole, find a black rock with alien language, somehow activate it and poof! Necrons appear! The Krieg happen to be around and deploy en-masse, grinding down the city the Necrons are in as they attempt to stem the tide and try to win a war against an enemy they know little about. Also, the story has some of the most depressing moments in recent history, I didn't think it possible, but this novel is even more depressing than the sad ending of Wulfrik.

In the end it was an okay story, but I could've gone with a bit more Krieg in there instead of the locals. DMW is a novel about the locals, with the Krieg being secondary characters. While I understand that it is done in an attempt to make the Krieg even more inhuman and remote, I am finding that it works against itself.

Score: User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. out of five ossuaries of the dead.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:26 am
Thanks for posting this review; very well done.  

Catlander

Ruthless Capitalist

9,800 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200

Lunar Marionette

6,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:01 pm
It does sound like a good book, I might give it a read eventually, but I also want to buy Prospero Burns.

Just out of curiosity, is this going to become a regular thing? I'd love to post reviews of books myself  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:23 am
Lunar Marionette
Just out of curiosity, is this going to become a regular thing? I'd love to post reviews of books myself
By all means, if you want to review something, please do so! This place could stand to have some more activity.  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Lunar Marionette

6,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:19 am
Lady Blodwynn
Lunar Marionette
By all means, if you want to review something, please do so! This place could stand to have some more activity.
I'll post something as soon as I have the chance. I reckon there should be a seperate sub-forum for Black Library  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:08 pm
Lunar Marionette
Lady Blodwynn
Lunar Marionette
I'll post something as soon as I have the chance. I reckon there should be a seperate sub-forum for Black Library
Oh yeah, you could swap that with the guild army! wink  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:19 pm
Kaori Kapoigne
Lunar Marionette
Lady Blodwynn
Lunar Marionette
Oh yeah, you could swap that with the guild army! wink
Fat. ********. Chance.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:21 pm
Could just make a separate subforum...
Not like the guild is poor or anything, really.  

Jason Kharo

5,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:08 am
No, you mods are lazy, that's the problem.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:31 am
Speaking of lazy, I need to start packing my bags for that vacation. whee

Ahem, let's put this back on topic now. Less nagging about what we should do and more talking about the book that has been reviewed here.  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Sissy Fairy

6,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:54 am
I found it to be a good book, a little shallow regarding the Death Korps as you said, but all in all it wasn't a bad read. I'm glad I borrowed it from my Local Library instead of paying out.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:19 pm
I'm guessing that they are running out of regiments to write about if the next Imperial Guard novel is about the Brimlock Dragoons. gonk  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
Review Corner

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items