Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Minty's sketchbook! Updated!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Reigeckt

Thieving Rogue

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:50 pm
User Image
Throwing this at the top because I would love feedback on it. biggrin Tried a new style and all that.

User Image

The foreshortening on the left(our right) leg in-particular bothers me. Besides that I'm sure there's a million more flaws anatomy-wise.

User Image

And then this one is more about the coloring, I'm trying to get the hang of shading with complimentary colors. How'd I do? I think the skin needs work especially.

Scroll down for new stuff!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:09 am
foreshortening is a pain in the arse.
umm... wouldn't her left foot (our right) bit a tad smaller then her right foot (our left) because it is further away from the veiwer?

i donno to me it looks a bit bigger.

oh and it doesnt look like that foot would be attached to her thigh...
-shrugs-

Odourless-Solvent

Reigeckt

Thieving Rogue

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:46 pm
Odourless-Solvent
umm... wouldn't her left foot (our right) bit a tad smaller then her right foot (our left) because it is further away from the veiwer?

-shrugs-

Ah! Thanks for pointing that out. I'll make it smaller when I go in to color in a little bit here.

Yeah...I wasn't sure how to handle that bit. Should I just close the line of her thigh?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:22 am
MintySin
Odourless-Solvent

-shrugs-

Ah! Thanks for pointing that out. I'll make it smaller when I go in to color in a little bit here.

Yeah...I wasn't sure how to handle that bit. Should I just close the line of her thigh?

That is a really tough pose and foreshortening is always very difficult (at least for me!). Looking at the angle of the foot I think that you would still be able to see some of her calf and ankle...Which is incredibly difficult to describe how to draw but would make it look less like the shoe is attached to her leg.

I think she is very cute and I like what you have so far, the only other issue I can see with her is that her right foot (our left side) is turned inward too much, we should be seeing more the front of her foot even if she was jumping in the air.

I love the colors you have so far, I think that some artists like to use contrasting colors in the shading and make the other colors pop. I think you could use a bluish color for the deep shadows? smile

By the way, I love the hair clip and earring on the first picture! biggrin  

GalateasFire

Shameless Lunatic

Reigeckt

Thieving Rogue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:45 pm
GalateasFire

That is a really tough pose and foreshortening is always very difficult (at least for me!). Looking at the angle of the foot I think that you would still be able to see some of her calf and ankle...Which is incredibly difficult to describe how to draw but would make it look less like the shoe is attached to her leg.

I think she is very cute and I like what you have so far, the only other issue I can see with her is that her right foot (our left side) is turned inward too much, we should be seeing more the front of her foot even if she was jumping in the air.

I love the colors you have so far, I think that some artists like to use contrasting colors in the shading and make the other colors pop. I think you could use a bluish color for the deep shadows? smile

By the way, I love the hair clip and earring on the first picture! biggrin

I get what you're saying. I'll have to play around with that leg abit and see if I can pull that off. I also see what you're saying with her other leg, the none-foreshortened one. >.< I wish I'd noticed that sooner, it DOES look awfully strange turned in like that.

Blue would probably help alot. I think her face/skin tone in general needs some pinks or reds or something too. I should probably fix that. >.>

Thanks so much for the help and the compliments! It's much appreciated.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:59 pm
To be honest, I think that the anatomy and foreshortening isn't actually that bad; I think the real problem is in the setup of the face. I did some redlines to explain better. Also, I didn't mention it in the redline, but since it isn't a chibi (as there is a nose) you want the head to at least be as big at the hips, otherwise it'll look weird and gimpy.

User Image

User Image

User Image  

Captain Kolita

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:06 pm
Before any foreshortening, let me see you draw some boxes in one, two, and 3 point perspective.

After I see what you understand about perspective, I can help you with foreshortening.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:08 pm
Quote:
Errol McGillivray

Have some boxes. They were done without a ruler, but the general idea should still be there. The 3-point one is off I'm sure. User Image
I also can't help but feel offended by your post. If only because I'm in college for my AA at the moment and perspective, at least in terms of boxes, is something I learned my freshman year in highschool. :/ Could just be me being oversensitive though.

Quote:
roxtarre

Thank you for the redlines! They were very helpful. It seems like facial anatomy (which I will readily admit I half-assed and tend to half-a**.) and mass in clothing are my main issues? Oh, and that weird issue with making the hair stand to far out from the skull. >.< I had that once before awhile back and it seems to of resurfaced. The only thing I won't take into consideration for later is the lips. >.> It's a personal preference, though I will continue to work on the shape of the lips, since they always seem at least slightly off.

EDIT: And what did you mean by, "Do something with that hand."
Did you mean "finish it" or "change the position of" or something else entirely?  

Reigeckt

Thieving Rogue

Captain Kolita

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:00 pm
^^ No problem. Yeah, the lips are actually okay if you want them that defined. As for the hand, I just mean to change the pose of it, so it's more natural? It's a good hand, but it doesn't seem like she would have it limp and open... :3 It might help to try the pose yourself without thinking too much about your hands and see how they end up. ^^  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:57 pm
Ah, I see what you're saying about the hand. 3nodding That's a good idea, I'll see what happens and try and incorporate it into the redraw of this I'm working on.  

Reigeckt

Thieving Rogue

Reigeckt

Thieving Rogue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:13 pm
The work I do when I'm not drawing anime.

User Image

Chalk pastel. :3

User Image

Charcoal.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out