Submit

snizman

5,600 Points
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cheerleader 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:40 pm
RPDPudder
1. For the Final Fantasy games, you should get Dawn of souls for the GBA.Its the first 2 original FF games just with amped up graphics. Just my opinion...

Now on to hardware. The PS2 (fat ones) are just terrible. Within a month of having it my disk drive came off the tracks...twice. The slim one is the one you should go for. Especially if you are getting it at gamestop (where you can get a warranty) get the slim one.

HEY! i've had my original ps2 since its debut, and it hasn't given me any problems at all! if you wanna treat your console like its a frisbee or something then go right ahead! seriously!
alright but as far as games go, the sly cooper trilogy would be an awesome addition, persona 3 or 4 (difficult jrpg but the story is totally worth it) mgs3, that's a good one, champions of norrath (fantastic multiplayer dungeon crawler rpg) the jak and daxter series, final fantasy ten, kingdom hearts 1 & 2 is good, but the other KH games are crap don't buy them (i haven't checked out RE: coded, but i'm not willing to risk my money)  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:11 pm
Hope not to be late XD
I recommend to you the game Shadow of the colossus, its pretty cool, and also God of War (obiusly)  

Ermac the soulbender

6,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Citizen 200

Vornwrath

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:07 am
thor1005
So I've been considering getting a PS2 so i can start playing all of the classic games that i have never played...such as the Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts series. Well I was gonna wait until after Christmas and get a new PS2 for $100 but gamestop is having a sale on used ones for $50.

anyways there's the PS2 system and PS2 redesign...i haven't a clue about playstations so tell me what is the difference and which is better.
I would just get the slim if I were you. It comes with a built in network adapter, but I doubt that you will ever actually use that. It is smaller. It takes up less space. It is newer, so there is less chance of the laser going bad.

If you have a high definition TV, I would highly HIGHLY recommend getting component cables for the console. Most Playstation 2 games are not designed to be played on an HD TV, so the picture quality on them probably will not be stellar. If you hook your PS2 up with component cables, it will look quite a bit better. The colors wil lbe noticably better over composite or s video.

If you have a stereo head unit with a Digital Optical input, get yourself a cheap Digital Optical cable for your PS2 and hook it's audio up with that. The sound is much clearer through it. It sounds beautiful.

Calling Kingdom Hearts a classic would mean conceding that it is good, and it is NOT good. It is a generic and average hack n slash game. If you want a hack n slash game for you PS2, get Baulders Gate. It is A LOT better.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:48 am
Vornwrath
thor1005
So I've been considering getting a PS2 so i can start playing all of the classic games that i have never played...such as the Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts series. Well I was gonna wait until after Christmas and get a new PS2 for $100 but gamestop is having a sale on used ones for $50.

anyways there's the PS2 system and PS2 redesign...i haven't a clue about playstations so tell me what is the difference and which is better.
I would just get the slim if I were you. It comes with a built in network adapter, but I doubt that you will ever actually use that. It is smaller. It takes up less space. It is newer, so there is less chance of the laser going bad.

If you have a high definition TV, I would highly HIGHLY recommend getting component cables for the console. Most Playstation 2 games are not designed to be played on an HD TV, so the picture quality on them probably will not be stellar. If you hook your PS2 up with component cables, it will look quite a bit better. The colors wil lbe noticably better over composite or s video.

If you have a stereo head unit with a Digital Optical input, get yourself a cheap Digital Optical cable for your PS2 and hook it's audio up with that. The sound is much clearer through it. It sounds beautiful.

Calling Kingdom Hearts a classic would mean conceding that it is good, and it is NOT good. It is a generic and average hack n slash game. If you want a hack n slash game for you PS2, get Baulders Gate. It is A LOT better.

tyvm for the feedback. Well being it is a PS2 game I wouldn't now call Kingdom Hearts a classic exactly but, as you said I was implying that it is good.
I enjoy JRPG's and like the company Square Enix. Therefore, I was going to play all of their hit games.
& btw I have played Baulders Gate 3nodding and it is a wonderful game.  

Tyy Tea
Captain

IRL Glitch

13,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Marathon 300
  • Hunter 50

Vornwrath

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:30 am
thor1005
Vornwrath
thor1005

tyvm for the feedback. Well being it is a PS2 game I wouldn't now call Kingdom Hearts a classic exactly but, as you said I was implying that it is good.
I enjoy JRPG's and like the company Squeare Enix. Therefore, I was going to play all of their hit games.
I like JRPGs as well. My all time favorite RPG is Final Fantasy VI, but the only KH game I liked was Chain of Memories. It added depth, strategy and challenge to the series, and it DESPERATELY needed that. It evened out the pacing on the story and actually had character developement  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:12 am
You should just buy Kingdom Hearts. You'll like it.
And not listen to what anyone else says.
You should also buy the Sly series while you're at it, its a brilliant series.

iEatSeaSaltIceCream
Crew

Omnipresent Fatcat

9,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Tyy Tea
Captain

IRL Glitch

13,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Marathon 300
  • Hunter 50
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:20 am
Vornwrath
thor1005
Vornwrath
thor1005

I enjoy JRPG's and like the company Squeare Enix. Therefore, I was going to play all of their hit games.
I like JRPGs as well. My all time favorite RPG is Final Fantasy VI, but the only KH game I liked was Chain of Memories. It added depth, strategy and challenge to the series, and it DESPERATELY needed that. It evened out the pacing on the story and actually had character developement

I have played about an hour of Chain of Memories on the GBA [emulator] and I enjoyed it. Is RE: Chain of Memories basiclly the same or did they change any key elements?
Asking because if I ever actually get around to playing FF & KH, I rather play that (^^) on the PS2 rather than Gameboy.

BTW have you ever played a KRPG?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:34 pm
thor1005
Vornwrath
thor1005
Vornwrath
thor1005

I have played about an hour of Chain of Memories on the GBA [emulator] and I enjoyed it. Is RE: Chain of Memories basiclly the same or did they change any key elements?
Asking because if I ever actually get around to playing FF & KH, I rather play that (^^) on the PS2 rather than Gameboy.

What is a KRPG?

I do not know. I have not played hte Chain of Memories for the PS2. i do know that, if you get the GBA version, you can play it on the Gamecube with the GBA player (Coolest periphrial EVER).

Did you want suggestions on games for the PSone/two? Because I could recommend tons based on your tastes (I would want more to go on than just "RPGs." What else do you like?)  

Vornwrath

Tyy Tea
Captain

IRL Glitch

13,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Marathon 300
  • Hunter 50
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:48 pm
Vornwrath
thor1005
Vornwrath
thor1005
Vornwrath
thor1005

What is a KRPG?

I do not know. I have not played hte Chain of Memories for the PS2. i do know that, if you get the GBA version, you can play it on the Gamecube with the GBA player (Coolest periphrial EVER).

Did you want suggestions on games for the PSone/two? Because I could recommend tons based on your tastes (I would want more to go on than just "RPGs." What else do you like?)

KRPG stands for Korean Role-playing game.

Ah okay & I do have the gamecube's GBA player. (:

Well... whenever I do get a PS2, I will most likely be focusing on the bigger titles that I have not played but, sure go ahead.
I play any game mostly except sports games (all of them are the same) and puzzle games (depending on the game).  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:35 pm
thor1005
Vornwrath
thor1005
Vornwrath
thor1005

What is a KRPG?

KRPG stands for Korean Role-playing game.

Ah okay & I do have the gamecube's GBA player. (:

Well... whenever I do get a PS2, I will most likely be focusing on the bigger titles that I have not played but, sure go ahead.
I play any game mostly except sports games (all of them are the same) and puzzle games (depending on the game).

Metal Gear Solid 1, 2 and 3 - THESE ARE ABSOLUTE MUST PLAYS!!!!
Shadow of the Colossus and ICO - DO! NOT! MISS! THESE! They are AMAZING
Sly Cooper series
Jak and Daxter series
Ratchet and Clank series
Baulders Gate: Dark Alliance 1 and 2 (Think you said you have these? They are amazing, none the less.)
Red Faction - To this day, one of hte best shooters on the console
Half Life - Play this on PC if you can, but the PS2 version is worth getting for Decay
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy XII - I do not care what anyone says. This is the best FF on the PS2
Dark Cloud 1 and 2
The Suffering
Shadow Hearts series
Shin Megami Tensei series (ESPECIALLY DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA!)
Okami
God of War 1 and 2
Indigo Prophecy
Darkwatch
Resident Evil 4
Star Wars: Battlefront 1 and 2

I only named one PSone game (Metal Gear Solid). I would recommend playing PSone games on your PS3. If you turn on the smoothing options, it will make them look a lot sharper and better than they looked on the PSone and PS2  

Vornwrath

Vornwrath

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:41 pm
Oh. That isn't to say that Metal Gear Solid is the only PSone game worht playing. There are a BUNCH of PSone games worth playing. It is, after all, my all time favorite system. That being said, the PSone died more than 10 years ago now, so anything on it will be old school. A lot of hte modern gaming conventions may not be there. If that kind of thing bothers you, I could recommend only RPGs. They age more like fine wine. A good story doens't sour over time. What wasa good story 10 years ago is still a good story today  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:39 pm
Do yourself a favor and buy Logitech wireless PS2 controllers. Forget the official Sony brand. Its crap. I couldn't go 6 months without something going wrong with an overpriced Sony controller.. meanwhile I've had the Logitech one for over 2 years.

And I just got the Slim PS2 now that my original PS2 was having trouble reading movies and some of the newer PS2 games. I didn't like that its $100 but I have no complaints about its performance. Plus it saves tons of space.  

Last Showdown

6,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Playstation

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items