They have names!?
36%
 36%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 19

Piercing_Light

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:33 pm
Tungska Butterfly
Quote:
I'm working on a rhythm that is 7/8 (toms) over 5/8(snare, hihat) over a triplet figure (bass drum) in 4 over 4 (hihat pedal). Of course, I really haven't gotten past 7/8 over 5/8 yet, but I can do triples in four over 5/8 and 7/8... I hope that made sense.

*weep* crying

All those numbers hurt my head! I've only ever played in 7/8 on one song ... and it was on the piano ... and it was still crap crying

Aww, don't think that way. Odd times just take practice. Besides, if you practice odd times enough, you begin to feel how all those times feel. For instance, 7/8 is kind of laid back, 5/8 is driving or pushing, 15/16 is nearly waltz like, with a sort of kick to it. Just start simple (like 5/4) and move up from there. What I find helps on the piano is to have an ostinato bass line to keep the rhythm steady. When you get used to the ostinato, you can keep it in your mind when you're playing free.  
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:17 am
Tungska Butterfly
Quote:
I'm working on a rhythm that is 7/8 (toms) over 5/8(snare, hihat) over a triplet figure (bass drum) in 4 over 4 (hihat pedal). Of course, I really haven't gotten past 7/8 over 5/8 yet, but I can do triples in four over 5/8 and 7/8... I hope that made sense.

*weep* crying

All those numbers hurt my head! I've only ever played in 7/8 on one song ... and it was on the piano ... and it was still crap crying

o.o hurts my head too sweatdrop I think the highest I've gotten is 5/4 or something gonk  

x.Marsh[mel]low.x
Captain

Tungska Butterfly

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:10 am
Quote:
What I find helps on the piano is to have an ostinato bass line to keep the rhythm steady. When you get used to the ostinato, you can keep it in your mind when you're playing free.

I'm sorry, I must confess to not knowing what an ostinato bass line is ... I taught myself so I could compose for a friend in Germany, as a result I never learned the correct terms. But thank you very much for the advice, that part DID make sense!

I've tryed playing in 5-4, I actually found it harder than 7-8, but manybe thats just me. But I understand what you mean about the feel of the signature. I downloaded some free drum loops in odd times and just tried to link in with the kick.  
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:42 pm
Tungska Butterfly
I'm sorry, I must confess to not knowing what an ostinato bass line is ...

lol I'm sorry! What I mean by ostinato bass is... in your left hand, you have a steady repeating rhythm. I can send you an example if you'd like, I have a piece that plays heavily on the ostinato bass line.
So come up with something in say, 7/8 for your left hand that is easily repeatable (and distinguishable). That will help you get a feel for that particular time signature. Is that better?  

Piercing_Light

Drum_Master_T

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:15 pm
Piercing_Light
Drum_Master_T
How to explain tripple backsticking... ummmm, its used in triplet form and each hit is followed by a flip/twist sort of thing. I'll look for an example I think i saw someone do it on Vic Firth.com. It can be used in singles, 1 hit on 1 hand and doubles on the non-flipping hand, and doubles on each hand- (VERY hard to play fast doubles this way)

You must be a drumcorps student. *sigh* luckyyyyy.....
Yeah, there is no real drumcorps stuff around central oregon. I wish I could have gotten into it. Although I know of one person.... hm....
Vic Firth is an amazing learning resource for percussionists. In fact, I'm thinking of only buying their sticks because of what they do for the drumming community. Except, some of the artists they feature are not very good...
Have you ever tried that... north west east south... sticking... thing? Marco Minnemann does it in his DVD.

Nope, not drumcorps yet, but this summer yeah i'll finally get to do it!!! I'm pretty sure i'll do well, I'm the head tenor for my schools marching band even though i'm only a sophmore! Hmmm NWES sticking i've never heard of it but i'll pick up the dvd sometime might as well anyways...
Hey i found a link to the triple backsitcking thing! All you drummers take note this is impressive i've wowed so many people just by my doing this fast!!!! go to This link! Look at his three-way-backsticking lesson and also his overview and demonstartion to see how cool you can get your stick tricks to get!!
Good luck!  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:54 pm
I play "Piano-handed" which is apparently a very common drum style for keyboardists... that is, right hand setup, open handed (left on highhat) and hust holding the sticks in a convenient way to hit things.

This is why I need a real drummer.  

Eccojedi

Piercing_Light

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:19 pm
Drum_Master_T
This link! Look at his three-way-backsticking lesson and also his overview and demonstartion to see how cool you can get your stick tricks to get!!
Good luck!

Great link! Very simpily explained. Now I'm gonna go learn it. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:10 am
Eccojedi
I play "Piano-handed" which is apparently a very common drum style for keyboardists... that is, right hand setup, open handed (left on highhat) and hust holding the sticks in a convenient way to hit things.

This is why I need a real drummer.

Odd.... Well, open-handed IS a good way to play, but although I am a 15-year pianist, I never had that issue. I do sometimes play open-handed, though. It's fun, and sometimes very challenging, especially since I am a very hi-hat intensive person.  

Piercing_Light

The Music Artists Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces