Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cherub and Friends Art Guild

Back to Guilds

In this guild you may post your art for all to see, get tips on improving your work, and enter our monthly contests! 

Tags: anime, drawings, avatar, manga, shop 

Reply Tips, Tutorials, and General Questions
What could I have done?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ajoura

6,500 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:14 pm
This has been buggin' me for days man...
You see, I entered in this competition a few weeks ago called Bird's Nest. It's an OC contest based on the best interpretation of the OC "Sharahs".

Here's my entry. [X]

I worked all weekend on it, and this was the result. I feel happy about how hard I tried on it. Especially since this is my 2nd art contest ( The 1st one being here. 3nodding )

Now here's the problem: My picture ended up bright. A little too bright. And I've been fickle about changing the skin tone because I believe this one fits the best. However, it doesn't fit very well in a white background. I could've worked more on the shadow tones, but...

Is there anything that I could have done to improve my entry?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:18 pm
User Image

I duplicated the image and set the top layer on multiply. The outline was unintentional, but it works, too sweatdrop  

Quvi

xxXSleepy_NinjaXxx

Mega Nerd

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:24 pm
@Moonflower: whoa that bright. i think what Quvi did is so much less hurtful to the eyes.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:39 pm
I love that duplicate layer, multiply trick. It really brings a lot of my art to life. Though sometimes it overpowers it. sweatdrop  

Pandiecakes
Captain

Timid Healer

14,400 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Millionaire 200

Magezian

Tipsy Raider

8,400 Points
  • Pie Scarface 150
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Pie Enabler 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:57 am
For this one, I used two programs~ (but it works the same in photo shop where you adjust the contrasts and brightness) I kind of played at it~ I changed the saturation to -20. Then, I got another layer and make it fully black. I also blurred the picture so the edges won't look too choppy. I clipped it to the picture and put it to overlay (with the opacity about 70%) Also, I finally added bit of glow to it (it's white by the way) while making it to about half the size:

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:33 am
Your best bet is to duplicate and multiply if you don't want to redraw the ehole thing. But if that is not enough, add an abstract background.

Example:
User Image

To make that background is really easy. Though, I use GIMP so I can't tell you how to do it in Photoshop.

All I did was use an ink pen like brush. and put it at 50% opacity.
I smeared the brush over the area three times. It sort of bleeds and speads on its own. Do NOT release the brush until you stroked over once. Then you do it again. That gives it that layer of darker color.

I hope this helps. It sure helped me. :3  

onipanda379

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100

Ajoura

6,500 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:11 pm
I see how the multiplied layer works, but it exposes the distinct colors between the face and the arms. The arms & neck end up looking...umm, "rougher" compared to the appearance of the face. It just seems to bother me so much! scream
I guess my best option is to edit the skin tone once more. This time, if necessary, I will duplicate and multiply. Adding an abstract background also sounds useful. If I'm lucky, I'll get to replace my previous image. Thank-you, everyone. biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:13 pm
I almost forgot! I also blured the background layer by 10 pixels. To soften the BG so its not so distracting from the figure.  

onipanda379

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100

Ajoura

6,500 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:08 pm
Okay! I changed the skin tone completely. It should look darker now...

User Image  
Tips, Tutorials, and General Questions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff