Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 32. ✿ - - - Religious Haven
I've just been thinking, girls. Really thinking.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Am I just over rationalizing things?
  Yeah, probably.
  No, not at all.
  /pollwhoring.
View Results

flangella

Wheezing Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:44 pm
They say that the one closest to God is the Pope or 'His Holiest'.
In a way, I suppose that's true, but there's this little theory I've been putting together.

I think the one closest to God is a man who lives in some obscure village in a place that still remains untouched by civilized society. I believe that he isn't very handsome, but has a loving wife and a dozen children. He provides for them in the only way that he can: by farming his own crops in land that isn't quite adequate for green, and hunting from morning's first light to the wee hours of the next day, only to return home with a rabbit or two that he will feed to his family rather than to himself. He doesn't remember what it feels like to not be hungry, but he is thankful for what he has. He may or may not be baptized, and doesn’t pray like a person usually does. Though... he might turn his eyes to the sky when things are particularly bad, and whisper to God, asking for help. But that is all. He prays through his actions, rather than through is words.
He is the type of man who has nothing bad to say of anyone. He is pleasant, and gives rather then takes.
I want to meet this man one day, and ask him about his faith. He would probably have nothing to say; he would just nod and smile knowingly and that would be that.

You know girls, it's an idea like this that forces me to contemplate my own lack of faith, and then end up wondering why God and I have always been so separate - like oil and water.
I don't know. Maybe it's because all I have to do is look out my window and watch my neighbors fighting with each other, or go to school and notice the 'pretty girls' in physics class saying nasty things about the awkward boy who sits through class reading his book and talking to no one, (they don't even know his name), to see the real ugliness of the world that has me believing that a God - who is supposed to love us so - would never let such things happen to His children... therefore He must not exist.
Like I said... I don't know.
Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:53 am
I don't think you are over-rationalizing things at all.
I like your idea; it's romantic and, basically, sums up the ideal of a man walking in Christ.

I know what you're going through, and I apologize beforehand for rambling.
For quite awhile I doubted in God.
I prayed for my cousin, who has had a rough life, and the next week her fiance (the only good man she'd ever had) was killed in a motorcycle accident. He was an amazing man of faith who provided for her and her daughter (a young cancer survivor with a flaky, quite probably drug-selling father.) So how could God take him away while criminals live into retirement, wealthy and content despite all their sins? After that, I couldn't imagine what kind of God would "punish" faithful Christians. Then, the history classes! How twisted the popes have been, the Crusades, the Inquisitions, the cruel witch hunts....these "holy men" living "for God" used religion as an excuse to act out their wicked ways. I began to wonder if religion was just a brain-washing device invented by sinful men to give "righteousness" to their horrendous actions.

It's hard, I know, to see greedy evangelicals selling out Christian products, becoming incredibly wealthy, and being caught up in scandals like ***** and domestic abuse. It makes one wonder; "is there really any decent Christians out there?"

The answer: yes.
God does not want to "punish"' his children; He is a forgiving God.
God does not support those who use religion for their unholy agenda; He condemns them.
God does not impoverish the good nor enrich the evil; He has a plan for us, and sometimes that path can be a hard one. Grief is imminent, we must realize this, but love and happiness and simple contentedness is what God truly desires for us to experience.
Christ saved us from our sins so we can be forgiven for our past mistakes, not so we can keep on making them and repent pointlessly. He wants to help us better ourselves, even if it doesn't always immediately make sense how or why He goes about doing this.

I'd recommend visiting around youth groups and churches...
some of them make me feel uncomfortable and out of place, especially when you just know that the only reason some attendants are there is to improve their community service resume and socialize. But at my current church and youth group, people are there to truly worship God and support their fellow Christians, while giving back to the community.
Maybe you haven't found a group like this -- but once you do, it's like meeting your second family. It just feels right and you know God is working positively in your life, even when times get rough and you sometimes wonder if there's anything good left in humanity.

I let God in my life despite my unwavering doubt in Him and His love for me or anyone else. He has relentlessly encouraged me through the Bible and others of faith. My grades have improved, I've gotten more involved in school, made better friends, met my darling sweet-heart, and really feel like God is moving in my life. I occasionally doubt that a prayer from someone so insignificant as me will be heard -- yet when I truly, truly believe and feel connected with God, He works through me to get things done. Miracles do happen if you believe.~

Oh and my cousin? She was grieving for a long, long time but has married another man. I feel a little guilty about saying this, since I was close with her late fiance, but he is better for her -- he's even more supportive (financially, too), loves her daughter as if she were his own(her fiance did not), and has helped heal her of deep past wounds(partying, drinking, drugs, dropping out of school, unemployment, etcetc). Although it seemed as if God was deliberately taking my cousin's happiness away, I realize now that He had a plan for her, even if I didn't get it at first. Besides, her daughter is God's miracle herself -- a cancer survivor, and the doctors claimed she would die in a few months, yet through prayer and faith she made it through and is completely healed.

TL;DR:
I understand. Humanity can be so cruel that it seems God could hardly exist.
Yet He does, and you'll know it when He moves in your life.
If we were always content, how would we ever know true happiness?

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100

sorrowfulmaiden

Invisible Citizen

16,300 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:20 pm
i'm a muslim and what differentiate us between muslims is how much taqwa we have in our life...so, the ones closer to our maker are the ones who have more taqwa from the others...
it is not wealth, race, beauty or any other things...  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:44 pm
In Judaism, there is no intermediary between G-d and ourselves. (So, there isn't such a thing like a Pope in ours.) Rabbis are teachers, and can lead us on the right path according to the Torah and commentaries, but they don't 'speak' for G-d. Some people say ours is a more personal G-d that way. We have somewhat of a relationship with G-d. G-d doesn't necessarily talk back, but may give us signs. We 'talk' to G-d through our prayers. Also, a side note, G-d is beyond gender, so you can refer to G-d with male, female, or other pronouns. Just to be able to talk about him. (I use male pronouns with him, because I grew up with others saying it that way.) We have many different attributes of G-d that we use instead of his actual name. (In Judaism, no one knows his actual name.) Anyways, with the bad stuff that happens, some explain that there needs to be a balance in the world. Good and bad. Without one we wouldn't have an understanding of the other. Also, some explain further by saying that G-d made things, but isn't totally in charge of the outcome. We're in charge of what we do in life, but things like nature you can't control it, it just happens. Kind of like that. He provides paths, but people have freewill and may not go down the 'correct' path.  

shadow22cat

10,275 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Haiku

Bashful Kitten

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:54 pm
flangella

I think the one closest to God is a man who lives in some obscure village in a place that still remains untouched by civilized society. I believe that he isn't very handsome, but has a loving wife and a dozen children. He provides for them in the only way that he can: by farming his own crops in land that isn't quite adequate for green, and hunting from morning's first light to the wee hours of the next day, only to return home with a rabbit or two that he will feed to his family rather than to himself. He doesn't remember what it feels like to not be hungry, but he is thankful for what he has. He may or may not be baptized, and doesn’t pray like a person usually does. Though... he might turn his eyes to the sky when things are particularly bad, and whisper to God, asking for help. But that is all. He prays through his actions, rather than through is words.
He is the type of man who has nothing bad to say of anyone. He is pleasant, and gives rather then takes.
I want to meet this man one day, and ask him about his faith. He would probably have nothing to say; he would just nod and smile knowingly and that would be that.

This might be slightly off topic but this is just beautiful. You should enter a poetry contest with this. I nearly teared up.  
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:46 pm
Why oil and water? Those elements can coexist inside a space, uniquely present...you agree?

This world that we live in now, it is not heaven and it is not God's Kingdom. There is a lot of hatred, unfairness, sorrow, and physical pains that surround us daily knowingly and unknowingly. And each minute(if not seconds or clusters of hours) of our day there is an accuser meaning to confuse and lie to us to keep us from being a part of God's Kingdom and bringing others there.
What you often debate about is real and it seems, as I read your words, that it is simple to say "well if this, than that must be" and its not that kind of simple solution your heart will ever settle on. What is happening today has happened before. What individuals face daily has been already faced before. There is no mistake in what King David wrote in Ecclesiastes. And truly you will be awaken to what you want to be awaken to... you will not be force either way.

I find that this man who you vision as closest to God, having the ability to look up in the sky and call on God freely in the mist of pain, strange...without having times of prayer, fasting, praise&worship, obedience towards God's Laws; without acknowledging God's Mercy & Grace, somewhere along the way... how can God even know him? I know each man has this choice of being close to God through Christ Jesus. There is no competition or ladder to special treatment increases... its a choice and each person is given a spiritual gift( s) that amounts to bringing others to Christ Jesus the Son of God and this in turn close to God. ...not this whole whom is closest to God thought, I am unable to entertain.  

Nikia

Hygienic Browser

5,825 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Statustician 100

Pickled Cactus

Enthusiastic Astronomer

20,125 Points
  • Battery 500
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Energy Generator 250
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:15 am
Flauterfli said it wonderfully.
I am in a constant struggle with depression, and because of my illness I often question myself and the reason why God is placing me through this seemingly pointless situation. But now I realise that sadness, grief, pain, is a part of this corrupt world we live in, and although God would never like to see this happen, they are consequences of our own actions.
I find time and time again that once I come out the other side of a situation, I realise why everything happened the way it did; everything fell into place so perfectly to, in the end, benefit me and those around me. It's only then that I can finally see clearly and think.
Ah, by the way, trust me when I say I understand completely when this might seem like some supernatural fantasy made-up kinda thing at first glance. The media can often portray Christians as stuck up snobs who follow a blind father figure. Always keep in mind the possibilities, and if you're curious, ask questions about it.

As for your theory, I like that you've formed an idea of a humble person. It is mentioned in the Bible about it not being a good characteristic for those to flaunt their wealth or present offering to God just so others can see. Personally, I think he would still have a close relationship with God, and they would be talking often even if it's not through outspoken words. I don't think anyone, including the Pope, can be labelled the "closest" to Him, since we are all human beings and on the same... level, not sure how to put it. Sorry if I offend anyone by saying this.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:08 pm
I am only a Catholic same thing as a Christian but yeah I have depression and anxiety as though I can't handle things but yeah God is right there to help me relax as I work but I know what your going through.

AstridMiriam

Party Browser

13,100 Points
  • Runway First Vote 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Edward 100
32. ✿ - - - Religious Haven

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items