Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Brythonic gods

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

patch99329

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:41 am
Hello everyone. After a huge-a** hiatus from gaia, i'm back! I missed everyone too much to stay away. ninja

I have a question for people who know these things. Does anybody know of any reliable books they can point me to (preferably academic) about the ancient Britons, particularly; their religious practice and culture?
This is my current area of interest, but I have no jumping off point right now.

Thanks!
-Emma  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:24 am
Trioedd Ynys Prydein: The Triads of the Island of Britain — Rachel Bromwich

The Mabinogi and Other Welsh Medieval Tales — Patrick K. Ford

Ystoria Taliesin — Patrick K. Ford

It's been 7 or 8 years since I've done any Brythonic studies., so I can't be of much help, but that's the beginning list given on the CR FAQ. The Mabinogi is always a good place to start, and the triads are always delightful. I'm not sure about the other book. I saw someone mention a forum a couple weeks ago, but I can't remember what it was nor how good it was. Maybe JSTOR would be a good place to look? If you find articles that look interesting to you, but you can't access them, I can see if I'm able to.  

Ainwyn

patch99329

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:18 am
Thanks smile I have the most recent translation of the mabinogion that my library has to offer, and am looking to get an audio version of it also.

I never thought to look at JSTOR, thanks for that!  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:41 am
I don't know if you're familiar with the Celtic Myth podcast, but they do AMAZING dramatizations of myths. They got done with the Irish Invasion myths recently and are supposed to start doing some Welsh ones, though I'm not sure what exactly they're going to do. They've been a great help to me, though, as my ADD makes following mythology really difficult a lot of the time. Don't know when they're going to start updating again though. The guy reads the myths got really sick not too long ago, so things haven't been as regular as they were before.  

Ainwyn

patch99329

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:16 pm
I started listening very recently! I have only listened to one show, but I really enjoyed it!  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games