Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
New member looking for critique!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Quvi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:56 am
Critiques, please? I mostly know what's wrong with all of them, but I'd like a second opinion. Coloring tips? I'm looking more specifically for help with shading :/

(Click to enlarge)

User Image flat looking water
User Image lack of shading
User Image pillow shading
User Imagemessy
User Imagelol hair
User Imageshading
User Image
User Image (close up)  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:27 pm
One thing that stands out in all of your drawings: lack of anatomy. You need to learn the basics of art, and what teachers tell you the most is to know your anatomy. Every artist should know this and learn it, and it can best be taught through realism. I cannot tell you specifics, as there are errors in anatomy in each and every art piece, but if you apply yourself to learning more about how your body is composed of, you can take your art much, much higher.

P.S. Use this for a good reference.  

tingtongten

Quvi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:13 pm
Iwa_Clay_Birds
One thing that stands out in all of your drawings: lack of anatomy. You need to learn the basics of art, and what teachers tell you the most is to know your anatomy. Every artist should know this and learn it, and it can best be taught through realism. I cannot tell you specifics, as there are errors in anatomy in each and every art piece, but if you apply yourself to learning more about how your body is composed of, you can take your art much, much higher.

P.S. Use this for a good reference.

Very true... often times I just halfass the anatomy. Maybe it's time for me to go back to the basics smile Thanks for the suggestion.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:40 pm
User Image

I know I haven't done the hair razz

Anything else?

The difference between using and not using reference :d

(First time realism attempt)  

Quvi

Quvi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:33 pm
User Image

Day 2 of trying out realism on photoshop. Opinions?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:07 pm
They're not bad. Keep practicing and keep referencing stuff as you go. You'll pick up a lot of the techniques as you go.

The two parts that pop out at me the most are the way you do hair and also the lack of contrast in some areas. I'm also not entirely sure you understand the forms in 3D yet.

For now, try using only the brush tool. No blur, no smudging, no anything extra. Start wide and blocky and gradually work your way to finer detail. To erase, cover your mistake with another color. Only change the size, opacity, and color, but not the type of brush. See how you do under those limitations first.

Also, why don't you do your next piece in grayscale and see how it turns out? It'll be good practice and you won't have to worry about colors. Only the varying values.

For hair, you're falling into the common trap of painting every strand. Notice how hair clumps together and paint it as a whole, not as an individual piece. It'll look more natural like that.

All of this said, remember that the original sketch is the most important part of your whole image. If it's not strong enough to stand by itself, there's no way that your finished painting will turn out well. So don't neglect your basic drawing skills.

Also... not sure if you are doing this or not, but avoiding tracing over photographs. If you have to use a photo reference (which you'll want to be careful with), then make sure that you have more than one reference photo and reference all of them. Don't just try to copy one photo unless you're absolutely desperate. Whenever possible, draw from life instead. If there are no people around to model for you, try drawing inanimate objects like bottles. It sounds boring, but the fundamentals will really help you in the long run.  

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:47 am
Check out the Edges tutorial.

What are you doing to draw your bodies? Do you just draw them straight through, or do you plan them first with basic shapes?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:00 am
Errol McGillivray
Check out the Edges tutorial.

What are you doing to draw your bodies? Do you just draw them straight through, or do you plan them first with basic shapes?

I did a basic line layout, then painted it over it at first with big blotches of color, went in with smaller blotches of color, etc.  

Quvi

Quvi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:13 am
No-ref stuff I did tonight when I was bored.

User Image

User Image

Eh... I know this one is kinda funky... it couldn't have taken me more than 15 minutes to finish this one.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:45 pm
User Image done today

User Image done yesterday  

Quvi

Little Kurayami

6,050 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:08 am
We are not worthy! crying  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]