Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Help with bloating from produce.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pink Rain Today

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:06 pm
I currently weigh about 136 pounds at 5'4.5", and I want to reach 130 in a little over a month- and 125, before the year ends.

I am really good about my diet. I eat nothing but fresh produce, a small bowl of Grapenuts with no fat milk or light soymilk, two thin slices of whole grains or wheat, green tea, and coffee.

But the fruits and veggies have been making me mega bloated! I read that it is from the fiber. I am going to cut it back slightly today and have nuts, rather than an extra piece of fruit, but do you know when this horrid effect will dissipate?

And any tips on getting my weight down? I used to be 180.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:52 pm
Hmmm I havent heard of produce making one be bloated, Sodium I have noticed does that.  

Dizzy Aquarius

Lonely Lunatic

12,350 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50

Testicular Diabeetus
Vice Captain

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:38 pm
User Image

Could you be allergic to it?

User Image

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:05 am
if you're not used to eating mostly fruit/veg, a bit of bloating and gassiness is definitely normal as your body adapts to eating more plant than grain/meat.

Your body needs time to adjust.
Make sue you are drinking plenty of water and keeping your sodium intake fairly low.

I have friends who have switched to vegan diets, and they all had the same problem the first few weeks with bloating, gassiness, and other weird digestive issues as their bodies got used to a more plant based diet.  

Groovy Spleen
Crew

Groovy Spleen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:12 am
Also, make sure you are getting enough protein.
if you don't eat meat beans and lentils are a good way to go.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:40 am
Yeah it sounds like you need more variety in your diet. Keeping a strict diet of nothing but fruits veggies, nuts and bread is of course going to load you up on fiber and make you gassy or bloated, because all these things are big sources of fiber. Another thing is, too much fiber can actually have a negative affect and make you constipated. If you're vegetarian, you could try eating garden burgers or other things. If you're just cutting back on meat for weight loss purposes, I highly suggest adding some lean meats back into your diet. A healthy diet is one with variety.

As for the bloating, just time and lots of water.  

pigeonsoup

Ligand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:24 pm
Most of the time when people have large intakes of fiber and experience bloating / digestive problems it's because they aren't getting enough water. :[ You need lots of water for high fiber diets so make sure you're getting enough.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:59 am
In addition to the good advice everyone else has already given about produce, fiber, and bloating, I just wanted to say that, from what you've described, it sounds like your diet is REALLY high in processed carbohydrates which also contribute to water weight and bloating.  

Munkers

6,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200

Euthanasia Phase

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:30 pm
Aside from the bloating effects caused by produce, fiber, etc., are you getting enough calories? It looks as if you may be undereating, which can slow your metabolism quite a bit. Nuts and other healthy protein sound like a good idea.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:53 am
Munkers
In addition to the good advice everyone else has already given about produce, fiber, and bloating, I just wanted to say that, from what you've described, it sounds like your diet is REALLY high in processed carbohydrates which also contribute to water weight and bloating.

HELL no. I avoid them. I consume around 1300 calories a day, and drink at least eighty ounces of water, if not more.

I do not put salt or sugar on/in anything I make.

I am drinking a bit more milk- it seems to be aiding.

Pink Rain Today

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games